Sydney cruise terminal - pre OPT and White bay?

I remember farewelling my British relatives off home over 50 years ago with streamers. Have no recollection of the ship as I was a young child nor where they sailed from in Sydney. I do remember those streamers though [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I remember farewelling my British relatives off home over 50 years ago with streamers. Have no recollection of the ship as I was a young child nor where they sailed from in Sydney. I do remember those streamers though [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My only recollection of the ship was how huge it seemed and how tight and long the corridor was to get to the pokey little cabin. How things have changed, I know I was just a little kid but now ships are three or four times the size and so much roomier in the cabins.:D

Not exactly on topic, but our first ever cruise was on the CTC Line's Felix Dzerzinsky....a 7000 ton Russian ship....leaving from the OPT in the mid to late 70s. I can still remember the cabbage smell wofting through the air conditioning. Overall, a great cruise to the Pacific Islands.

There's one thing that still stands out for me. We came to a stop in the middle of the night heading up the NSW coast....and I could swear I could see a sub being replenished outside my porthole. No one believed me....

Not exactly on topic, but our first ever cruise was on the CTC Line's Felix Dzerzinsky....a 7000 ton Russian ship....leaving from the OPT in the mid to late 70s. I can still remember the cabbage smell wofting through the air conditioning. Overall, a great cruise to the Pacific Islands.

There's one thing that still stands out for me. We came to a stop in the middle of the night heading up the NSW coast....and I could swear I could see a sub being replenished outside my porthole. No one believed me....

When did Holt disappear?

This all brings back memories of our family taking my sister to 'The Quay' to board her cruise, I guess it was Fairstar. It must have been around 1980, maybe a bit earlier(???), and, like others have posted, we all went on-board to check it out. I too remember pokey little cabins, with 4 bunk beds and narrow corridors.

At the announcement, we left and waved goodbye. Dad joked, quick kids hide and we'll go to. I recall Mum panicking about us not getting off in time before the ship sailed.

The experience clearly did not cause me to rush out & book a cruise :) Little did I know that DW and I would stumble into cruising some 30 years later in 2011, and today, as I write this, we are preparing to depart next week on our 16th cruise.

This all brings back memories of our family taking my sister to 'The Quay' to board her cruise, I guess it was Fairstar. It must have been around 1980, maybe a bit earlier(???), and, like others have posted, we all went on-board to check it out. I too remember pokey little cabins, with 4 bunk beds and narrow corridors.

At the announcement, we left and waved goodbye. Dad joked, quick kids hide and we'll go to. I recall Mum panicking about us not getting off in time before the ship sailed.

The experience clearly did not cause me to rush out & book a cruise :) Little did I know that DW and I would stumble into cruising some 30 years later in 2011, and today, as I write this, we are preparing to depart next week on our 16th cruise.

Not such a long time for us, I cruised with my wife (honeymoon) in 1988, then with the family in 2002, and then again in 2010 which was the one that got us totally hooked. Now up to my 32nd cruise tomorrow and my wife has done another four.

Not such a long time for us, I cruised with my wife (honeymoon) in 1988, then with the family in 2002, and then again in 2010 which was the one that got us totally hooked. Now up to my 32nd cruise tomorrow and my wife has done another four.

That's a hell of an average, Mic.

Our first was in 2002 (the cruise from my OP, Pacific Sky)

The next was 2007, on CruiseWest in Alaska for our honeymoon. The ship had 70-80 passengers and it's close to the best trip I think I've ever had. If I could afford it (I can't!!) that's how I would always want to cruise.

Then it took another 8 years until our next cruise in 2015, on the Disney Fantasy in the Caribbean. Loved it.

Our last cruise was last year, 2017, our 10th anniversary cruise back to Alaska on the Star Princess.

Next one is 30 Dec this year on Majestic Princess to NZ.

So, this will be #5, and the average time between cruises is dropping hahah. Hope to do more, but we seem to mostly do land holidays, which cuts into cruising time... and we are governed by those pesky school holidays too. Maybe once we get those kids out of the house....

I heard from a relative in the military in the 1960s and 70s that this was happening.

That's a hell of an average, Mic.

Our first was in 2002 (the cruise from my OP, Pacific Sky)

The next was 2007, on CruiseWest in Alaska for our honeymoon. The ship had 70-80 passengers and it's close to the best trip I think I've ever had. If I could afford it (I can't!!) that's how I would always want to cruise.

Then it took another 8 years until our next cruise in 2015, on the Disney Fantasy in the Caribbean. Loved it.

Our last cruise was last year, 2017, our 10th anniversary cruise back to Alaska on the Star Princess.

Next one is 30 Dec this year on Majestic Princess to NZ.

So, this will be #5, and the average time between cruises is dropping hahah. Hope to do more, but we seem to mostly do land holidays, which cuts into cruising time... and we are governed by those pesky school holidays too. Maybe once we get those kids out of the house....

That was the secret to cruising more often.

I heard from a relative in the military in the 1960s and 70s that this was happening.

I can remember the waitress in the dining room. There were 8 to 10 at our table and the waitress asked us for our 3 courses and served them correctly without writing anything down.

We thought they were very well trained spies!! :o