All of those 'included excursions'

PaulaJK

I have seen it happen several times and I only take one stick figure or bus tours. I agree that 2 stick plus could really be too difficult for people who would need the front row seat but again there may be exceptions.

Ok- now I know I am preaching to the choir. Some observations from my special needs prospective:

- I notify the Excursions desk when I board that I need the front row for me and my 02. And the seats are usually reserved with a paper note.

- biggest problem, some people, who have problems walking, don't register and then take my reserved seat and say they need the seat. I agree that it might help if my name is on the paper. Most times, it is not.

- when I reserve my tours, I check all the details of the tour, not the figure sticks, because I know my capabilities and limitations. Sometimes, I call Regent to clarify certain issues.

Example: if it is a walking tour, I have my scooter and can outpace everyone. But, I must make sure that the bus can accommodate my fold up portable scooter.

- I usually wait to get off the bus, however it does take a minute or two to assemble my scooter.

So I hope you all have patience to wait before we all can begin the tour.

- sometimes on a bus tour, guests get off the bus to climb a hill for a view. I remain on the bus because that's too difficult for me.

However, I see people get off and we need to wait too long for them to return, sometimes because they have trouble walking or they just don't really care.

Again, I don't know what the resolution is. Some suggestions:

-Regent should supply special needs names to tour guides.

- Regent should put a sticker on the bus pass or give it to the person to indicate special needs.

( you don't have a sticker, you don't get a reserved seat).

- name and state room should be on the reserved paper.

- tour guide should accommodate person for whom that seat was reserved

- guide should resolve, if there is an issue.

That's just my opinion.

Regards to all my friends

Sheila

-

I wish that it only happened on excursions that have mild activity. As has been discussed previously, many (not a few) people with walking challenges take the more active excursions - even very active ones and hold everyone up. On one excursion, a person could no longer walk - we were far from the bus - someone went to the bus to find someone to help the individual. It held up the bus for over an hour. This person clearly should not have been on that excursion. The one thing about the most active excursions is that wheelchairs are not permitted (not sure if this rule is followed) but people with walkers can probably go.

The scenario you described is really unacceptable. It amazes me that the handicapped person whose seat was taken did not call the brat out on the issue with some nearby support. That, of course, would be for a "mild" activity excursion. The flip side is that there need be no reserved special seats on the more active bus trips as no one should be needing such accommodations. There should be some more vigorous "heads up" warnings to those who insist on coming along. Maybe a local map and cab company number, and then actually follow through with the excursion proceeding as planned. It wouldn't take long for word to get out. We only had that happen once on a very hot bus as we waited for some strolling shoppers to meander on over. As with everything, if there are no consequences.....bad behavior will continue.

Peggy, I definitely agree with you. It is important that passengers that need those front seats register for them. Unfortunately, I have seen too many people refuse to give the seats up.

This is where the tour guides and/or Regent need to step up an politely but firmly insist that those reserved seats are given to the people who need them and that the bus won’t roll until the offending dullards have moved.

I would gladly offer to assist in the relocation of these chuckleheads as necessary. :mad:

This is where the tour guides and/or Regent need to step up an politely but firmly insist that those reserved seats are given to the people who need them and that the bus won’t roll until the offending dullards have moved.

I would gladly offer to assist in the relocation of these chuckleheads as necessary. :mad:

I always like a nice simple suggestion from Bill early in the morning. (Not sure if he had his coffee yet.) I also like his offer to sail on all cruises to remove the chuckleheads or knuckleheads as I would normally call them. (Means the same thing for those of you that may feel the need to look up both words.) ;p

You may have created your own Regent job. You could dump your current job(s) and the two of you could sail the world. Just get a device like the ones that kids use to pick up toys in the machines with -- you can pick up people in the front seats and nicely move them to the back.:evilsmile:

Seriously though, it is not the responsibility of tour guides (or other passengers) to put up with the misplaced anger that able bodied people sitting in the first row would throw at them. If a passenger intervened, a fight could break out and both of you would be put off of the ship. On the other hand, some people on the Destination Services team really deserve this position (I can think of one in particular who screams at passengers but can't name her on a public forum).

I don't get this. The best seats are further back with space, especially if the coach has 2 doors for easy disembarking, behind the rear doors are always our favourites. There is usually space to spread out for hats, bags etc and also if you are a photographer the ability to get up and see the other side. The front seats especially the first row are unnerving and as a Brit, on the wrong side of the road I feel as if I am driving, not relaxing. On Tauck where seat rotation is used we always happily give these up to go further back. However the dullards spoil it for all by insisting on sitting here, nearly as bad as lounge joggers around the pool. I always move stuff if not there to claim, and like Bill will ask people to move if in these seats. It's like the mad rush from the theatre we watch in amazement and anyway the seats we like are always available as never been on a Regent excursions with over 75% of the bus full.

Have to say that the front seats do give the best view of scenery on both sides of the bus which is likely why they are so popular. We do like seats near the back door and take them whenever they are available.

Wish I could remember where we were when there was a place on the bus for a wheelchair (in the middle of the bus). The wheelchair was secured to pad and they were lifted onto the bus (and off). It made much more sense than having disabled seating in the front for a couple of reasons. In case of an emergency, disabled people could be easily taken off of the bus without disturbing others. And, people that are disabled and need the cooperation of passengers to get the front seats, should allow abled bodied passengers off first ...... but, in case of an emergency, they would be blocking the exit for at least half of the bus.

Hope to see a special mid-bus entrance/exit for people that have difficulty walking as this would solve the problem and would be a safety feature as well.

P.S. Not sure if anyone has noticed but the front seats on many buses have less leg room than the rest of the seats.

You may have created your own Regent job. You could dump your current job(s) and the two of you could sail the world. Just get a device like the ones that kids use to pick up toys in the machines with -- you can pick up people in the front seats and nicely move them to the back.:evilsmile:

VP of Bus Manners and Seat Enforcer...yeah, I could live with that.

Although I’d prefer a cattle prod to the claw thing I’d, but we can work out the details as we go...

What if six people legitimately need the front row seats? Is there a disability bake off? This is only one of the reasons I detest included shore excursions. Pay a lower price elsewhere and book private excursions. That way you can sit where you want.

What if six people legitimately need the front row seats? Is there a disability bake off? This is only one of the reasons I detest included shore excursions. Pay a lower price elsewhere and book private excursions. That way you can sit where you want.

Henry I feel the same way.

We too have tired of shared excursions between the time it takes to get people on and off buses, distractions on the tours, sometime less then optimal views from the vehicle, minimizing close contact with those who are ill, along with a handful of other things. We would rather do less tours but ones with higher quality.

The only time we do a group tour if that is the only way we can see a particular site/venue that we really want to go to. That is clearly the exception.

On the other hand I realize there are some people who for various circumstances would only do group tours.

Keith

Henry I feel the same way.

We too have tired of shared excursions between the time it takes to get people on and off buses, distractions on the tours, sometime less then optimal views from the vehicle, minimizing close contact with those who are ill, along with a handful of other things. We would rather do less tours but ones with higher quality.

The only time we do a group tour if that is the only way we can see a particular site/venue that we really want to go to. That is clearly the exception.

On the other hand I realize there are some people who for various circumstances would only do group tours.

Keith

Your point is well taken if you are on a cruise line that "included " excursions were not part of standard price; however,with Regent,you are "paying' for those .