Viking (and NCL) cruiser considering Silversea

zitsky

I'm looking at two cruises Venice-Rome or Barcelona-Lisbon on the Silver Whisper. I'm confused about the dress code. How formal or informal is it now? I don't have a tux and most posts here say a dark suit (and maybe tie) is good enough. I have been looking all over the website, but I can't find info about formal nights. Any suggestion for how/where to find this information?

I think I would enjoy a smaller ship. I've been looking at a cruise on one of Viking's 900+ passenger ships. We've decided the trip is a little too long for us and too expensive for what you get. Business air is a big part of the cost.

I have been on two Viking river cruises Lyon/Provence and Romantic Danube. Doing an NCL cruise Santiago, Chile to Buenos Aires in Dec 2018.

Don't recall any formal nights on my Silversea Med cruise. I brought a dark sports coat for the restaurant; they do turn men away with no coat. Did not wear a tie.

Loved Viking Ocean and loved Silversea Silver Spirit (in dry dock for upgrades). Viking Ocean is very different from any Viking River cruise.

Don't recall any formal nights on my Silversea Med cruise. I brought a dark sports coat for the restaurant; they do turn men away with no coat. Did not wear a tie.

Loved Viking Ocean and loved Silversea Silver Spirit (in dry dock for upgrades). Viking Ocean is very different from any Viking River cruise.

Thanks! The two trips I'm considering I think count as Mediterranean. Venice to Rome (of course) and Barcelona to Lisbon. So maybe there will be no formal night on either of these two trips.

Thanks! Can I get away with wearing the same suit a few nights? .

Absolutely. No one is keeping track. On a recent (long) Silversea cruise I wore dark khaki trousers and a blue blazer a few times to formal night, and no one made any comment. (This was not on an expedition ship.) The trousers are under the table anyway. :)

Sorry to hijack, but.... PhilW - I'm interested in how you chose Uniworld for your Duoro Valley cruise, and I don't know how to ask you specifically anywhere else you might see. I'm currently looking at Scenic and Amawaterways for that trip, and now I'm wondering if I should include Uniworld in the mix.

Sorry to hijack, but.... PhilW - I'm interested in how you chose Uniworld for your Duoro Valley cruise, and I don't know how to ask you specifically anywhere else you might see. I'm currently looking at Scenic and Amawaterways for that trip, and now I'm wondering if I should include Uniworld in the mix.

Take my money. Just please don't hurt me! :')

• 3 weeks later...

Viking corporate screwed me over on an onboard booking deal, so I was looking for another cruise line to cost them some revenue. Our Sliversea cruise friends are big Uniworld cruisers so I considered Uniworld. By coincidence, U had a wicked low price sale for July 2018, much lower than Viking, etc. and this thrifty Scot bit.

River cruise lines are pretty much all decent and taste is subjective. If you see something you like on any of these river lines, book it. Check comparative pricing vs dates.

Back to Silversea. Looking at them for Alaska 2019.

A sports coat will have to do it for me as it did on my Silver Spirit Med cruise.

Back to Silversea. Looking at them for Alaska 2019.

A sports coat will have to do it for me as it did on my Silver Spirit Med cruise.

Hi Phil,

I am booked on the Muse for Alaska 2019. I'm not a guy, but I did notice a few things on my last SS cruise.

First, I've read elsewhere on these boards that Alaska cruises are generally less formal than other locations. Second, as others have said here, dark jackets seem to be fine, even on formal night. I did see some tuxes on formal night, but I saw plenty of guys without tuxes as well.

You also have options on formal night, although here I am assuming that the Muse dress code will be similar to other ships. La Terrazza (speciality, no upcharge) is informal every night, so your sports coat will be perfect. On my recent cruise, I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with formal night, so I pre-booked La Terrazza. It was filled with informal diners that evening. The Grill / Hot Rocks is casual every night -- and I'm looking forward to cooking on the hot rocks in the chillier climate. I might even book that on formal night.

Perhaps I'll see you on board,

Just finished a trip on the Muse. There are three different dress codes that will be announced in their paper the night before. Casual, just like the dress code on NCL. Semi Formal, here I wore a jacket, dress slacks. Formal, here I wore a jacket, tie and dress slacks. On our 13 night trip there were two formal nights, maybe four casual while the rest semi formal. It worked well for me. I talked about the code with our butler and a few of the maitre d' and was told the key is the jacket.