Packing light. How to? Your tips.

jeffdal

I have the "3 in 1 Fish Eye Wide Angle Macro" clipon for phone-camera and it/they works pretty well... one of the three (and I can't remember which!), the corners of the shot are rounded off, I think it's the wide-angle and/or fish-eye; I think that would make sense.

I'm not switching from a big camera, but a point-and-shoot, so it has been win-win. I bought the wide-angle to try to approximate the realtors "before" pics of our new house, with my "after" ones, with fair success (a lot closer than without the clip-on).

ETA: My Note 3 takes the place of so many things! Internet computer, camera, alarm clock, flashlight, Kindle... and if necessary, it can be a phone!

Edited by crystalspin

We pack as much as we could take on flights, to have options and to look (and feel) great. New outfits everyday of the cruise, one for day another for dinner. To each their own but we love to dress up and look great (including shoes).

My point is if you could pack a 50 pound suitcase, I don't see any reason not pack as much as you want/need

On 7 day cruises, I pack two of everything...

Two formal dresses (one long, one short)

Two sun dresses

Two wraps (MDR and shows are COLD!)

Two bathing suits

Two cover ups

One pair of slingbacks that go with all the dresses. One pair of water sneakers (good for land and beach) and a pair of flip flops.

Midweek there are laundry specials or you can do your own.

• 3 months later...

Hi all, been reading all the posts, as my original question was how to pack for a three week cruise late spring. Wow, information overload. I guess What it boils down to is pack less, do laundry.

3 in 1 Fish Eye Wide Angle Macro"

May I ask which brand you purchased?

Sorry Sandi, I never saw your question. I have a cheap set I found on eBay

from China or Hong Kong. Later we received the same items as favors at a fancy dinner! So I was able to give them to my sis and SIL.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3in1-Clip-On-Fisheye-Camera-Lens-Wide-Angle-Macro-For-iPhone-Universal-Phone-Lot/123033835817?hash=item1ca5635929:g:be4AAOSwh5hZoNrG

Sorry Sandi, I never saw your question. I have a cheap set I found on eBay

from China or Hong Kong. Later we received the same items as favors at a fancy dinner! So I was able to give them to my sis and SIL.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3in1-Clip-On-Fisheye-Camera-Lens-Wide-Angle-Macro-For-iPhone-Universal-Phone-Lot/123033835817?hash=item1ca5635929:g:be4AAOSwh5hZoNrG

Thanks for getting back to me, I still have a couple of months so all is good. The picture really helped to know what to look for.

Just my opinion. I think men need three pairs of shoes. Flip flops, closed toe (for dinner/slacks) and walking shoes (for in port).

IMO, all you need is a pair of Sperry Billfishers boat shoes https://www.sperry.com/en/billfish-3-eye-boat-shoe/10247M.html for ship & shore and water shoes (e.g., Teva) for pool and beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi all, been reading all the posts, as my original question was how to pack for a three week cruise late spring. Wow, information overload. I guess What it boils down to is pack less, do laundry.

Basically. Pack light stuff that can be layered and rolls up/folds up small. A sundress takes a lot less room than a sweater, for example. Jeans are a lot bulkier than yoga pants. Anything bulky, just bring 1 if you really think it's needed and just wear it on.

I'm leaving on a 2 week trip tonight. Thanks to compression luggage bags, I've got clothing and toiletries for 4 people (2 adults, 2 elementary kids) in two carry on bags with a little room to spare. Adults have 3-4 sets of clothes, kids have about 4-5. If we had a formal night, it wouldn't change anything for the girls or the boy, but I would have had to pack an extra suit which may be a bit tougher. If it were just the 2 adults, we still would have been fine with 2 carryons. That Aussie morning talk show host wore the same suit every day for literally a whole year (YouTube it, it's hilarious). Guys just need one jacket and can mix up the shirts and tie and no one will notice.

Otherwise, just plan on doing laundry. That includes bringing coins (or whatever money you'll need for the washing machines) along with clothes made of materials that dry easily. Hiking gear is the best usually.

I don't even have 3 weeks of casual clothes.

Don’t pack an outfit to wear on the ship during the days... you will mostly be in your swimsuit or cover up and I found I packed and never wore half of the clothes. Now I pack yo be comfy for getting off the ship and an outfit to wear on and off the ship and clothes to dress up in the evening

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I struggled with putting together a packing list for my first cruise so I published it recently (about to set sail on my 2nd cruise!) for others to use! There is a link for if you want to print it as well. Another blog post I have is about cruise gadgets you will want.

Packing List: http://laurenofalltrades.blogspot.co...king-list.html

Cabin Must-haves: http://laurenofalltrades.blogspot.co...breakaway.html

Lauren - I just love your packing list. I had the Cabin Must-haves on my list, except the water bottle! Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's how I do it, for a week or longer cruise, and it all fits into a 21" carry on bag:

7 briefs, 10 tees, 4 polo or golf shirts, 2 slax, 2 shorts, some sox, hat, water shoes, 2 bathing suits. Some of these items are microfibers which take up less space then cotton and blended fabrics. I still have plenty of room for snorkel equipment.

I'll use a shoulder bag for meds, hygiene items, documents, electronics like a small kindle and cell phone (no laptop), binoculars and anything else valuable.

I sometimes used the laundry service specials when offered by the ship before they became a free loyalty perk.

Just finished packing for a 40 day trip (including a 36 day cruise) and this thread came to mind. We managed to ONLY pack 2 large suitcases and 1 medium size bag for a total of about 146 pounds. Add to this two heavily laden carry-ons and we shall definitely top 200 pounds (for two people). To us, this is packing light :). For what its worth, our trip will take us to places where temperatures could be close to 100f (with high humidity) to Alaska where it could be quite cold this early in the Spring.

We actually could take a lot more since we are flying business class...which means we could check 4 pieces of 70 pounds each. So, in our world we are packing very light. Now I should further explain that during our trip we will not spend any time doing laundry, washing out something in our sink, etc. We do get unlimited free laundry on our cruise and we will take advantage of that during the trip. There will be two times in the next 6 weeks when I will have to deal with all the luggage and it will certainly be a few minutes of pain. On the other hand, we will not have to waste any time dealing with dirty stuff and will have nice clothes for the formal evenings.

Hank