Rules and Tips New Cruisers Should be Aware of

monster_like

And yes, do make sure you get back to the ship on time when you get off. It's easy (and if you're using a private tour guide or company, they will ask you like every hour to confirm when you're supposed to get back. I've NEVER had one cut it close). Yet, people always mess up both of these...so it's important to at least give it some thought.

To go along with getting back on time, make sure you are on ship's time which isn't necessarily local time.

I appreciate all of the useful info, thank you! clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

To those who hinted that I am crazy and shouldn't ask here for meds while being pregnant, do you really think I haven't already talked to my doctor about that?! I asked here because I was hoping for someone who has had the same experience before, to share it and perhaps give me some hints, since I've never done that before.

Now, when all this is settled, I still have at least a month and a half to go, so I have time to plan everything. Also, I have to sort things out with the phone service company. I've read that there are phones on the ships, are they expensive to use? It might come in handy when I am contacting my family while we are in the water. I will still keep my cell with me though!

So, about the translation apps that I've asked before, I came across a list of Google Translate alternatives, but I think they aren't as reliable. I, personally haven't heard about any of them. Am I the only one? clear.png?emoji-confused-1977

Oh, I also have a question about the shore tours. Do you think it is better to book a group tour, just to be sure we are on time, we don't get lost, etc. or you think we should do a private one? Honestly, to me, a group tour sounds more comforting!

I appreciate all of the useful info, thank you! :)

To those who hinted that I am crazy and shouldn't ask here for meds while being pregnant, do you really think I haven't already talked to my doctor about that?! I asked here because I was hoping for someone who has had the same experience before, to share it and perhaps give me some hints, since I've never done that before.

Now, when all this is settled, I still have at least a month and a half to go, so I have time to plan everything. Also, I have to sort things out with the phone service company. I've read that there are phones on the ships, are they expensive to use? It might come in handy when I am contacting my family while we are in the water. I will still keep my cell with me though!

So, about the translation apps that I've asked before, I came across a list of Google Translate alternatives, but I think they aren't as reliable. I, personally haven't heard about any of them. Am I the only one? :confused:

Oh, I also have a question about the shore tours. Do you think it is better to book a group tour, just to be sure we are on time, we don't get lost, etc. or you think we should do a private one? Honestly, to me, a group tour sounds more comforting!

The phones in the rooms are for ship-to-shore calling only and cost $1.99/min. This is billed to your on board expense account. The only way someone from home can contact you on the ship (other than using your cell phone) is if there's an emergency. They have to contact Carnival, their customer service will pass the message on to your ship, who will then contact you.

When your ship gets out to sea, they will activate their Cellular at Sea network. Keep in mind, if your phone connects to this, you could end up with unexpected charges and they could get expensive. Some cell carriers offer short-term international plans and even cruise plans. You'll have to check with yours. If you don't plan on making calls with your cell phone, it's best to turn on Airplane Mode so that it can't connect to the ship's cellular network. Even with Airplane Mode turned on, you can still turn on wifi and/or bluetooth if you need them. You can buy one of the wifi plans on board and use a messaging app to communicate with folks back home. The Social plan works with some of the most popular messaging apps, like facebook messenger, snapchat, & whatsapp.

A lot of translation apps are pretty much the same. Most of them now offer the ability to speak instead of just type. I've played around with several and it's hard to find one that's much better than others. I have Google Translate, but never use it. I also have one called SayHi Translate. To be honest, I don't remember why I downloaded it LOL but I must've seen something I wanted to try. It works well, but can't really tell you if it's any better than the rest. As far as your list of apps goes, the only one I've heard of is Babelfish. It's very popular and, I assume, well liked since it's been around for quite a long time.

If you're more comfortable booking a group tour, then go with your gut. If you book an excursion directly through Carnival, they will not leave without you. The catch is, they're often more expensive than going directly through the place that hosts the excursion or other third-party vendors.

The only exception on the ship leaving without you is if a cruise line booked shore excursion is late getting passengers back to the ship... the ship will wait so it is best to book excursions with the cruise line to get that guarantee... however, in my experience this rarely happens.

QUOTE=SquishTheWhale;55549077]Find out what you are NOT allowed to bring on board. For most cruise lines this includes irons, kettles, any electrical appliance that could cause a fire hazard. Some cruise lines allow extension leads, some do not. Some let you bring bottles of water or wine on, some don't. Check your cruise line website and FAQs and there should be a list. If they find anything you shouldn't have, your luggage will take a trip to the 'naughty room' which isn't the best way to start a cruise!

As mentioned above, ensuring you are back on the ship on time when in port is essential. The ship will not wait for you if you are late. The 'all aboard' time is usually 30 minutes before departure, but try not to cut it so fine. We always aim for an hour before. Make sure you check if the ship time is the same as local time or if there is a difference, and always go off ship time for all aboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When your ship gets out to sea, they will activate their Cellular at Sea network. Keep in mind, if your phone connects to this, you could end up with unexpected charges and they could get expensive.

So, I'm not in jeopardy of running up huge on-ship cell phone charges if I use my phone in port (my cell provider covers all of N America and we're Alaska-ing)?

For example, on day 1, how do I know when it's time to go to airplane mode; I mean can I call folks to say farewell and send some photos dockside, before lines are cast off? Do they make an announcement on the 1MC that cell at sea is turning on? Or should I just watch to see if roaming kicks in and act accordingly (which wouldn't be helpful in Victoria, BC)?

Can I use my phone in the various ports from my cabin or on deck or do I have to get off the ship and a couple of blocks away before it is safe to do so?

I am so confused. Any details on when the ship's cell antennas take over would be helpful.

READ your contract. Know what you are entitled to and what you are not entitled to.

READ your trip insurance policy, know what is covered, and what is not covered. And how to claim.

Do not try to do too much.

Relax, don't sweat it, it is a VACATION, not the end of the world.

Smile a lot.

Have fun.

So, I'm not in jeopardy of running up huge on-ship cell phone charges if I use my phone in port (my cell provider covers all of N America and we're Alaska-ing)?

For example, on day 1, how do I know when it's time to go to airplane mode; I mean can I call folks to say farewell and send some photos dockside, before lines are cast off? Do they make an announcement on the 1MC that cell at sea is turning on? Or should I just watch to see if roaming kicks in and act accordingly (which wouldn't be helpful in Victoria, BC)?

Can I use my phone in the various ports from my cabin or on deck or do I have to get off the ship and a couple of blocks away before it is safe to do so?

I am so confused. Any details on when the ship's cell antennas take over would be helpful.

The major cell carriers in the U.S. cover the more populated parts of Alaska, but if you want to play it safe, you can contact yours.

As long as the home port you're leaving from is within your carrier's cell network, you can use it on the ship while it's still docked just as you would at home because it's still connected to your cell network. Keep in mind, going to your cabin or other places inside the ship is probably going to affect your signal or kill it completely (like in elevators). Once the ship sets sail, your phone will stay connected to your cell network for a little while. You'll see your signal level drop and eventually have no service. They'll activate Cellular at Sea when they reach international waters, but they won't announce it (at least I don't think they do). Your best bet is to play it safe and turn on Airplane Mode as soon as it sets sail, or not long after. You'll know if your phone has connected to the Cellular at Sea network because it'll display "Cellular at Sea," “Nor-18,” or “901-18" in place of where your own carrier normally appears at the top.

They'll turn off Cellular at Sea when they get close to port, so you shouldn't have to worry about your phone connecting to it if you turn off Airplane Mode when you arrive. Whether or not you can use your phone in port (without additional charges) depends on your carrier, which port you're in, if you have an international plan, a cruise plan, things like that. If you're talking about an Alaskan port, then when they dock, you should be good to go. Again, if you'd like to be certain of your coverage in Alaska, give your carrier a call.

Okay, I will go through all the info here!

However, how can I test myself whether I will have seasickness or not, since it will be my first time?

You can get all sorts of motion sickness meds on Amazon. I'd take some with you just in case. It's better to have them and not need them rather than need them and not have them. Plus it's MUCH cheaper on land.

Don't overpack.

Know what you want to do at each port and book early.

This! On my first cruise I looked at what people said I should pack and of course I did. I didn't use 95% of the things people said to pack. Over the door organizer, highlighters, magnets, flashlights, etc., all of that stuff was useless to us. Not to say other people don't find it valuable, it was just useless to us and took up room. Think of what YOU would use.

There are two things new cruisers need to know and they apply to every cruise line and every ship. If you don't have the proper identification with you, you are not getting on the ship. And if you don't show up on time, the ship will leave without you.

Facts! Make sure your birth certificate/ID or passport is ON YOUR PERSON when you walk into the terminal, NOT in your luggage being loaded on the ship. If it's in your luggage being loaded on the ship, start looking for a good hotel and activities to do nearby because you're going to need them since you won't be cruising.

Just read threads on here. Even if you think they don't apply to you, read them. There's a lot of "fluff" but there's also a lot of good information you can learn.

Congrats, you just inherited a new addiction.

If you are flying to the port to catch the ship, fly in one, two , three days early and enjoy the local sites. Because taking a photo of the ship as it sails off with out you because the plane was late or some other problem is not one you want for you photo album.

We know, because of the airlines problem we arrived at 1700 at the airport and the ship sailed at 1600 even tho we were in constant contact with the cruise line.

Bob

Wow, here's a useful tip! :o why is that?

It is against the law in many islands Barbados in particular to wear camouflage clothing including little children. It is a mistake that many new cruisers might blunder into. Check it out on Google.

Regards John

If you turn off your WIFi. And put in airplane mode can you still take pictures without any charges?

Your phone doesn't use data to take pictures. The camera is part of your phone. You don't even have to have service on a phone to use it for pictures.

It’s true that your phone doesn’t use data to take pictures. However, if you have it set to back up photos to the cloud, that will use data. If WiFi is off, you can still be using data. It would be best to keep your cellular data turned off, or the phone on airplane mode.

As a newbie cruiser last year, we found it most helpful that we were cruising with friends that were familiar.

Also once booked, we read everything we could on the carrier website, found this website and once familiar, drilled down to specific threads related to our specific cruise, example, Princess Cruises thread, Fort Lauderdale Port thread, dining thread, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao port threads, photography thread, and roll call for our specific cruise thread.

Then I also bought 2 books related to cruising.

Important take aways were:

1. Arrive a day ahead if flying to your cruise port. If we had traveled the same day, we would have missed the ship as it turned out.

2. Bring more money than clothes.

3. Leave your passport and phone in the safe in your stateroom, you do not need them.

4. Don't sweat the small stuff because its all small stuff is true on a cruise.

5. Enjoy yourself, its an expensive vacation and you deserve to enjoy it.

6. Do not approach it with any other expectation than you are going to have fun, period.