Best Viking Sea deck

Doctor Mom

We are booked in a penthouse veranda (PV1) on a Viking Sea Caribbean cruise next year on deck 6 recommended by the Viking agent as "best view." I am wondering if this deck which is high on the ship and just below the pool deck will be noisy or will experience more ship movement than a lower deck (e.g. Deck 5). Any recommendations?

We were on the Star last year on the 5th deck back towards the bridge. Had fun observing and occasionally waving at the bridge crew. View was great from there and didn't notice any ship movement (or enough to bother) even when we were in the open sea and clearly pouring on the steam forging our way from Flåm to Ålborg. We'll be in the same cabin January 2018 on the Sky in the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Low and center is always the most stable on a ship. As to much difference a few decks up, or a few decks forward. Depends on the current sea state and each persons tolerance of motion.

Caribbean is usually calm and less of an issue.

As to view - always look at the deck plans yourself to see if that would matter much. Almost all cabins face the side of the ship. There are sometimes those with rear or forward views.

As others have said lower decks, center of the ship will have the least motion. However the Caribbean in winter isn't likely to be very rough so the motion difference will probably be negligible. As for view not sure exactly what difference the deck would have in the Caribbean. When moving all you will see is ocean and that looks pretty much the same from any deck and if you are in port at a relatively flat island I can't see that being higher up would afford a much better view either.

So I'd suggest pick the cabin suits your space needs best. Viking doesn't really have obstructed view cabins. If you are prone to motion sickness go lower and midship.

I am wondering if this deck which is high on the ship and just below the pool deck will be noisy or will experience more ship movement than a lower deck (e.g. Deck 5). Any recommendations?

You're going to be on a Viking ship. There are no wild parties happening around the pool. No kids playing at the pool. They do show movies and the sail away but the top is usually open so the excess noise should dissipate. Since you didn't get specific, the other areas on the above deck will be Owner's suite, Mamsen's, Explorer's Lounge, Wintergarden or the World Cafe. On the whole there should bee no problem

• 3 months later...
You're going to be on a Viking ship. There are no wild parties happening around the pool. No kids playing at the pool. They do show movies and the sail away but the top is usually open so the excess noise should dissipate. Since you didn't get specific, the other areas on the above deck will be Owner's suite, Mamsen's, Explorer's Lounge, Wintergarden or the World Cafe. On the whole there should bee no problem

We've been on deck 8-7 and one cruise on 6 and they all where great - no noise and no real movement . Get ready for a Great Cruise !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
We are booked in a penthouse veranda (PV1) on a Viking Sea Caribbean cruise next year on deck 6 recommended by the Viking agent as "best view." I am wondering if this deck which is high on the ship and just below the pool deck will be noisy or will experience more ship movement than a lower deck (e.g. Deck 5). Any recommendations?

I heard that midship low deck is good if you have sea sickness. We booked cabin 6011 (PV1) on our recent sail. It was quiet and the view was fantastic but our cruise was the Homelands. The only noise we heard was the slamming doors (they are heavy) and TV from our neighbors. We did experience a rough sea but it felt like a little shaking. That feeling actually helped us to fall in sleep quicker...lol. This was our first Ocean cruise and we were surprised how silent the ship was. You see that it moves but don't feel or hear It.

We did Viking Homelands in PV1 on 6 in 2015. We LOVED that deck because we could simply take one flight up to pool/World Cafe and not have to wait for elevators. It made us think we were getting exercise on the way to eating (AGAIN!). The views were great and no real motion except briefly when on the North Sea. No noise, and room service folks came almost INSTANTLY because their prep area was on that deck! We literally got things in <1 minute sometimes! If you are on the port side, you can watch the pilots board the ship from their small boats as you come into ports. Kind of fun. We liked our cabin so much we asked for the SAME one on the Grand Pacific Voyage 2019.

Enjoy the world cruise!

• 7 months later...
We sailed July 2017, Into the Midnight Sun on Viking Sea. Our cabin was 6045 directly below the pool and pool deck on deck 7. Never heard a thing. Plus it was convenient to the World Cafe and Explorer's Lounge. Booked cabin 6047 right next door for a 2018 cruise.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

TA and 7 full sea days of 10' - 25' Swells, we found no real issue camping out on deck 8. That is unusual for sure as we were crossing at the same time those 2 NE storms were going on, one in front and one behind us. The Sky handles the seas nicely. Luckily we were a couple thousand miles south! Once the movie is over, around 10 or so the pool deck is empty until 9 am or so. We were not below so I cannot say whats the noise.

We were PV on Deck 5, port side, near back of ship (Room 5100) There was no noise here and we picked it because it was between two decks of rooms. I cannot answer whether the pool would be noisy. They sometimes have music playing, but unless it is a live band, it is not loud...and it's not like you have all the kids playing and screaming...the few adults in the pool were very quiet! We did feel some of the movement left/right when we had rougher seas, but we were also crossing the Atlantic! Lower decks may get less of that sway, but you may have to give up the PV room!