Tips? Booking portal and air or no?

earlykl

Looking at booking for summer.

Tips for getting the best price? Through the website or elsewhere?

Should we get air through viking or is it cheaper to do it ourselves and come in the night before. What do most of y’all do?

Thks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sometimes you can't beat Viking's air fare price and other times you will do better booking on your own. It depends on when you you are flying, where you are coming from, where you are going and if you are flying economy or upgrading to business/first class. Just remember that Viking Air includes airport to ship/hotel transfers.

When we went to China with Viking, we opted to take their air simply because we did not want to deal with the airport transfers. Other times, I have opted for the air when we booked and then went shopping for my own airfare to see if I could do better. Sometimes I can and sometimes I can't. As long as you cancel the air arrangements a certain number of days prior to departure (ask your TA/booking agent for the exact cut off), there should be no problems.

Get a good TA. You will get extras such as onboard credit that you will not get by booking direct. And "2 for 1" pricing is just a come on. It is always "2 for 1".

Thanks. The two for one dont seem to be on many of the cruises on the website. Or are they rotated frequently or would the travel agents have them for all journeys?

It's always 2 for 1. I think even on their website. But if you do a search on Google I'm sure you can find a good TA. Wish I could give you mine but rules prohibit.

Thanks! I will look into that more!

Sometimes you can't beat Viking's air fare price and other times you will do better booking on your own. It depends on when you you are flying, where you are coming from, where you are going and if you are flying economy or upgrading to business/first class. Just remember that Viking Air includes airport to ship/hotel transfers.

When we went to China with Viking, we opted to take their air simply because we did not want to deal with the airport transfers. Other times, I have opted for the air when we booked and then went shopping for my own airfare to see if I could do better. Sometimes I can and sometimes I can't. As long as you cancel the air arrangements a certain number of days prior to departure (ask your TA/booking agent for the exact cut off), there should be no problems.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Sometimes Viking offers excellent pricing for their air if you fly economy, there is a steep add on for booking business class but it can be done. We usually do our own air as we’re very particular about what airlines we fly and timing, even with Vikings custom air it can be a small problem. Also we find that booking our own transportation to/from the ship is fairly easy in most ports and again, for us it’s a control thing [emoji849].

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Looking at booking for summer.

Tips for getting the best price? Through the website or elsewhere?

Should we get air through viking or is it cheaper to do it ourselves and come in the night before. What do most of y’all do?

Thks!

Folk we talked with booked with Viking and got some good deals. Some got free airfare, free premium drink packages and OBC (on board credits). We booked in August 2017 for March 2018 cruise...way too soon...and they were offering free airfare in the last month...we could not take advantage of it because we were booked & paid and would lose money if we cancelled.

We used Viking for air, but did not like the fact that they would NOT let us arrive one day early, paying for our own hotel. Also, we had to pay $100 each at the end of the cruise for the pleasure of staying longer in Barcelona instead of flying directly home.

We priced air on our own and Viking was cheaper. BUT...we were able to use some of our air miles to upgrade to First Class on Delta on the way there! We also paid extra to United to get "extended legroom" for the 9 hour flight from Barcelona to Chicago...made a big difference.