Sand in my toes?

fdpevey

I'm remembering being unhappy with the coarse sand on Harvest Caye in Belize and wishing I had water shoes ... but I still haven't bought any.

Now we're heading to Hawaii in a week, staying before our cruise at the far end of Waikiki Beach, in the Ilikai Inn and Suites.

Silly question, but will I be able to walk barefoot on the sand of Waikiki Beach and into the ocean?

Any beach, any where, can have loose coral, rocks or other foot unfriendly additions. And these can change daily with tides, or less frequently with storms and surf. No true beach is absolved from this.

That being said, some beaches get really fine sand (check out Half Moon Cay, Holland America's private island- sometimes visited by Carnival), many get small to medium, and other get pebbles to rock sized "sand"...see many Med beaches.

Hawaii's beaches are not exempt from any of this. But, in almost 30 visits, we have walked on MANY Hawaii beaches, and swam at many of those. I used to carry swim shoes, but wore them so rarely that we have stopped. You will be fine at most any Hawaii beach.

• 1 month later...

It's not the sand on the beach that's so sharp and hard to walk on at Waikiki. It's the sharp lava rock in the water that's so tough to walk on if you are wading out into the surf. If you're swimming or snorkling, no problem. I remember years ago when we first flew to Hawaii and stayed at Waikiki. It didn't take long for us to go across the street to an ABC store to buy an air mattress as the rocks in the water were very uncomfortable.

Water socks weigh mere ounces, we put them in our day pack to bring out if needed.

(y)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow thanks for posting this question. I've never worn them but my husband always does. I will be sure to pack a pair for our day at Waikiki as I will go for a dip. Didn't do this last trip and wish I had, just to say I swam at Waikiki :).

As always great info on CC boards.