Wheelchair passenger on Royal Carribbean

Hi all,

has anyone had any experience being in a wheelchair on a royal carribbean cruise (ovation of the seas) up to the pacific islands? any feedback or advice? thanks :)

Unfortunately most ports in the South Pacific are tendered (transfers to islands via small boats) with the exception of Port Vila, Fijian ports and Noumea. In Noumea, Ovation will dock at the comercial shipping port which as a working port, for safety reasons, requires coach transfer to the city centre.

I would suggest contacting RCCL special needs department - details at:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/home.do

Which itinerary are you looking at? This may help CC experts to provide more personalised advice than Special Needs can give.

Hello thanks for your reply. Looking at just 8 nights. First stop noumea and then mystery island. I’m ok if I can’t do the second one but will be very annoyed if we get there on the day and can’t do the first. Do you think they will have an accessible bus?

Hi all,

has anyone had any experience being in a wheelchair on a royal carribbean cruise (ovation of the seas) up to the pacific islands? any feedback or advice? thanks :)

maybe your better off asking questions on the disabled site https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

also whilst cruising no port is guaranteed because of mother nature and the captain will divert to miss any bad storms which might affect the itinerary as he has to keep the passengers and crew safe

welcome to CC

Definitely contact RCCL special needs dept.

We were in Noumea last Sunday and noticed some of The HOHO buses were wheelchair accessible, others weren’t so you could get around but would have to wait for an accessible bus.

We were on a carnival cruise that stopped at Noumea and they had a wheelchair taxi at the port (no charge) to do the shuttle run from the port to the terminal. While this was with Carnival I would imagine this would be used for all the cruise lines but no harm in asking the special needs department.

I also echo the difficulty at other pacific island ports - however most of them are just beach ports so not really "sightseeing" places.

We were on a carnival cruise that stopped at Noumea and they had a wheelchair taxi at the port (no charge) to do the shuttle run from the port to the terminal. While this was with Carnival I would imagine this would be used for all the cruise lines but no harm in asking the special needs department.

I also echo the difficulty at other pacific island ports - however most of them are just beach ports so not really "sightseeing" places.

I have also personally assisted wheelchair bound passengers (I was a hospital orderly in a past life) on and off the coaches provided by RCCL in Noumea as there were no apparent wheelchair accessable options available.

That's why I suggest calling RCCL special needs - they may make the necessary arrangements with port management.

No offense intended for anyone here, but we can only share our experiences and advice, whereas the cruise line may actually do something to help![emoji56]