Finger Nail Health

• 1 month later...

Can’t say for certain if you need to change anything. I use cocoa butter and argan oil on my hands and spend time rubbing the oil into the cuticles on my fingers. I also take extra vitamin D supplements this has helped strengthen my nails some what. Working in a skilled job using hands all day I often get mine bumped around and caught in odd things which can snag them. Without that extra care my hands are a mess.

Some folks simply have thin, weak nails. Do you keep them polished, even with clear polish? You should...it helps prevent water from softening them further. The shape of your nail beds can affect how your nails grow, too...flatter nail beds (and nails) are more prone to breaking than "curved" nails....

I happen to have very strong nails...I can actually turn a screw with mine!

No, I don't keep them polished. I was getting acrylics for awhile. My nails changed after that. I have been thinking about starting acrylics again. My nails never look finished now. They also snag and split often which is why they are always short. I may try vitamin D. It can't hurt.

If you can get the SNS type manicure it really helps your nails. It is the dip type polish. Mine stays on 2+ weeks and my nails are as strong with it on as acrylics but it is much easier on your nails. Lots of colors too.

No, I don't keep them polished. I was getting acrylics for awhile. My nails changed after that. I have been thinking about starting acrylics again. My nails never look finished now. They also snag and split often which is why they are always short. I may try vitamin D. It can't hurt.

Wearing the acrylics may have damaged them - is that damage permanent? Hard to say...

I would definitely mention it next time you see your GP - weak/splitting nails can be a sign of some diseases/disorders.

I use Nail Magic, a nail hardener. Sally Beauty and Amazon both carry it. It's a clear nail polish and will help your nails be stronger. They have plain clear shiny, plain matte, and a shiny with a little pink tone to it. I've been using it at least 8 years. About $9.00 but it lasts me a long time.

Just a thought...I have very strong nails but our long winters can be very hard on them (dry climate). I have been cutting my nails to a shorter length & wearing store bought nails. I only keep them on for about a week & then give the nails about another week or two breather from polish/artificial nails. If you look at your local drug store, you can find the Impress line with super hold: easy to apply, easy to remove. Here is a pic of LA Colors (pink) and Impress (gold sparkly) together for an upcoming cruise. I did them in less than 10 mins for about $4. If I am tired of them in a few days, I will soak & remove & may apply a different color. I use the Kiss Maximum Speed Nail Glue & only apply to the nail. Be sure to wipe your nails with nail polisher remover before applying glue to nails! Within a few applications you will be very talented at doing your own! I am feeling more confident because my nails look good & aren't costing me a fortune! Have fun experimenting with lots of colors & styles! Also, Kiss has a line that are super short which work well for me! The Impress brand doesn't have different lengths stated on the box, but the ones I have tried so far seem to be short which works well! imagejpeg

Just a thought...I have very strong nails but our long winters can be very hard on them (dry climate). I have been cutting my nails to a shorter length & wearing store bought nails. I only keep them on for about a week & then give the nails about another week or two breather from polish/artificial nails. If you look at your local drug store, you can find the Impress line with super hold: easy to apply, easy to remove. Here is a pic of LA Colors (pink) and Impress (gold sparkly) together for an upcoming cruise. I did them in less than 10 mins for about $4. If I am tired of them in a few days, I will soak & remove & may apply a different color. I use the Kiss Maximum Speed Nail Glue & only apply to the nail. Be sire to wipe your nails with nail polisher remover before applying nails! Within a few applications you will be very talented at doing your own! I am feeling more confident because my nails look good & aren't costing me a fortune! Have fun experimenting with lots of colors & styles! Also, Kiss has a line that are super short which work well for me! The Impress brand doesn't have different lengths stated on the box, but the ones I have tried so far seem to be short which works well! imagejpeg

• 2 months later...

OP: I also think you have weak nails from wearing acrylic. I had this happen to me, and my natural nail was like tissue paper, or soft like your nails get after a bath or shower. I stopped the acrylics, started taking Vitamin D, and now my nails are really hard, strong, and grow like crazy. I keep them short-ish (really short right now since I'm handling my 4 mo and 2.5 yr old grandbabies a lot).

I've had an oil and polish manicure several times, and loved them. They really help condition your nails. I am hard on my hands naturally, and I find any nail polish just chips after 24 hours. So, I stopped wearing it, but I only like neutral colors on my hands, and hot pink on my toes. My grand -daughter loves "Nana's pink toes".