How not to get sick on a cruise? What meds?

Snuckles

I will say I took elderberry on my recent cruise at more of a maintenance dose and didn't get sick! I also had some Airborne with me, just in case.

We just got off the Regal for the first time and I really liked the hand-washing stations by the buffet, but I was a little surprised that so few people were using them. Less wait time for me, I guess...

I really liked the wash stations when we were on Regal too - much nicer than hand sanitizer - and was also surprised how few used them.

Carnival Pride also had really nice washers at their buffet that auto dispensed soap, water, and drying (that actually dried:eek:) plus paper towels were available. Again, not too many used them but they were nice and touchless.

We didn't get sick on our three most recent cruises (36, 10 and 21 days)! What did we do? Martinis! Yes, a martini (or 2) every evening does the trick. And before you laugh, my anecdotal evidence is certainly as good as most of these other ideas....which is to say it's meaningless. But you might consider that alcohol does kill germs (and some viruses) which is why its used in many topical germacides (including Purell). So its just logical that it will kill germs and viruses inside your body too :).

Hank

I truly appreciate this response!!!! So many looking for a magic bullet when the reality is good hygiene (hand washing) is about the only thing that has been proven to help. Well, that and the flu shot.

Now there are plenty of anecdotes about oil of oregano, apple cider vinegar, garlic, wet socks (I can't make this up) and elderberry. But, there are few if any studies that prove effectiveness for any of these potential treatments and those that do exist (n=60 and n=40 studies on elderberry for example) are, at best, well designed studies on small populations of humans. More often, these are poor quality studies done on mice and rats or directly against a virus grown in a petri dish.

None of the suggested alternatives are necessarily dangerous on there own, but they can become dangerous if they distract from actual medicine (and not alternative medicine). Add in that the supplement market is very poorly regulated, and there is some danger in whether or not you are receiving these alternative treatments at all rather than some cheaper filler.

TLDR: Wash your hands and don't waste your time and money. Both are better spent on cruising :D.

I truly appreciate this response!!!! So many looking for a magic bullet when the reality is good hygiene (hand washing) is about the only thing that has been proven to help. Well, that and the flu shot.

Now there are plenty of anecdotes about oil of oregano, apple cider vinegar, garlic, wet socks (I can't make this up) and elderberry. But, there are few if any studies that prove effectiveness for any of these potential treatments and those that do exist (n=60 and n=40 studies on elderberry for example) are, at best, well designed studies on small populations of humans. More often, these are poor quality studies done on mice and rats or directly against a virus grown in a petri dish.

None of the suggested alternatives are necessarily dangerous on there own, but they can become dangerous if they distract from actual medicine (and not alternative medicine). Add in that the supplement market is very poorly regulated, and there is some danger in whether or not you are receiving these alternative treatments at all rather than some cheaper filler.

TLDR: Wash your hands and don't waste your time and money. Both are better spent on cruising :D.

Your "wet sock" reference really go my interest and I did some online research. But now I am suffering from anxiety because I do not wear socks with my sandals (sox and sandals are a major faux pas). So I will start seeking some anecdotal advice on how to effectively deal with "anxiety secondary to being wet sockless."

Hank

Your "wet sock" reference really go my interest and I did some online research. But now I am suffering from anxiety because I do not wear socks with my sandals (sox and sandals are a major faux pas). So I will start seeking some anecdotal advice on how to effectively deal with "anxiety secondary to being wet sockless."

Hank

At the risk of getting too far off topic; you put wet socks in the freezer and then on a person while they sleep (typically a child) in an effort to stimulate circulation which fights off congestion or a cold or the flu or cures everything. I'm actually not entirely sure what it's supposed to cure.

I am not a Dr., but I can help get you a prescription for an emotional support animal that you can bring on your cruises to help with your anxiety. Please don't fly United.

Most preventative.... wash hands, wash hands, wash hands.

Keep hands away from face (eyes, nose, mouth).

Do not eat with fingers unless, going to wash hands again.

Try to avoid elevator buttons or any other surface that is heavily used.

Obviously avoid anyone who is exhibiting signs of illness.

If food buffet food isn't behind a sneeze guard, avoid it.