Scenic Eclipse

russg140

• 1 month later...
I've booked the Mediterranean Treasures sailing for 9 days in April 2019! https://www.scenic.co.uk/ocean-cruise/europe/501m/6126-mediterranean-treasures. It will be our first cruise but looks like a great ship and itinerary to start with! Has anyone else booked this cruise? :)

We booked the 23 day cruise just before yours . Ours ends in Athens. Only 400 more days, not that I am counting. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone going on the Jan 6, 2019 Ultimate Antartica?

Also does anyone know how the Dining Reservations will work? They have 10 venues, with some like the Captain's Table, being quite intimate. I assume there must be some system in place for those reservations?

Also does anyone know how the Dining Reservations will work? They have 10 venues, with some like the Captain's Table, being quite intimate. I assume there must be some system in place for those reservations?

Not the Captain's Table...the Chef's Table...sorry.

I can't find any information about how the dining will work on Scenic Eclipse, but when I looked at Scenic River Cruises they seem to restrict at least one restaurant on board those ships to passengers in higher category cabins. I hope that isn't the case for the Eclipse, and nothing in the brochures etc indicates that will happen. Perhaps they will have 2 seatings each night in the smaller venues? Perhaps they will restrict each passenger to one booking only in the smaller venues?

I sent an email to Scenic in Australia and they said that on the Eclipse there will be priority dining based on cabin category, and while final arrangements hadn't been made, there was likely to be be two seatings per night in most restaurants.

I sent an email to Scenic in Australia and they said that on the Eclipse there will be priority dining based on cabin category, and while final arrangements hadn't been made, there was likely to be be two seatings per night in most restaurants.

That is definitely more than the Scenic USA people know (which isn't much), but still doesn't answer how the priority will go for folks within same cabin category. Is it like many lines that a certain number of days before a cruise you can book? Or first come, first serve (within your category) once you board? We love Scenic but they are always light on the details/information and the often give lots of conflicting information when pressed for details.

That is definitely more than the Scenic USA people know (which isn't much), but still doesn't answer how the priority will go for folks within same cabin category. Is it like many lines that a certain number of days before a cruise you can book? Or first come, first serve (within your category) once you board? We love Scenic but they are always light on the details/information and the often give lots of conflicting information when pressed for details.

Do you think they have any offers for longer cruises? Ours is 23 days.

I believe that the head office for Scenic is in Australia so perhaps that is why they have been a little more informed (but not much more!). I will give them a call and see if that provides any further detail.

That would be lovely. Thank you. It's a tad bit more difficult for us to call from USA.

I called Scenic and spoke with a rep who is specific to the Scenic Eclipse. She said that they would not be offering any pre-reservations system prior to boarding, all venues on board would be "open dining". Once on board the staff would "facilitate" the dining process, with the smaller restaurants likely to be managed by having two dinner times each evening. There will be priority given to the top category suites, (Owners, Grand Panorama and Panorama), and at the price they are paying, I am not surprised. As to how they will cope with potentially 200+ guests wanting to try all of the very small venues on a shorter duration cruise, it was not clear and the rep couldn't answer that with much conviction unfortunately. She said the staff will be commited to making sure everyone gets the opportunity to try what they want.

Maths is not my best subject, but I think it is going to be a bit of a squeeze and compromise is going to be the key. It might not be realistic to expect a preferred dining time/day at the smaller venues? With a 10 person venue and 2 seatings per night, on a 10 night cruise, most guests should get the chance to dine at some stage, and I guess not everyone is into all the specific dining offerings. Longer cruises should be easier to manage.

I don't know what it all means for impromptu dining with new friends, perhaps that will be best delivered in the larger venues.

I just hope that the 5 star luxury branding of Scenic flows through to a dignified and effective dining system once on board! I hope that it is managed fairly, giving everyone the best chance of experiencing all that is on offer.

I called Scenic and spoke with a rep who is specific to the Scenic Eclipse. She said that they would not be offering any pre-reservations system prior to boarding, all venues on board would be "open dining". Once on board the staff would "facilitate" the dining process, with the smaller restaurants likely to be managed by having two dinner times each evening. There will be priority given to the top category suites, (Owners, Grand Panorama and Panorama), and at the price they are paying, I am not surprised. As to how they will cope with potentially 200+ guests wanting to try all of the very small venues on a shorter duration cruise, it was not clear and the rep couldn't answer that with much conviction unfortunately. She said the staff will be commited to making sure everyone gets the opportunity to try what they want.

Maths is not my best subject, but I think it is going to be a bit of a squeeze and compromise is going to be the key. It might not be realistic to expect a preferred dining time/day at the smaller venues? With a 10 person venue and 2 seatings per night, on a 10 night cruise, most guests should get the chance to dine at some stage, and I guess not everyone is into all the specific dining offerings. Longer cruises should be easier to manage.

I don't know what it all means for impromptu dining with new friends, perhaps that will be best delivered in the larger venues.

I just hope that the 5 star luxury branding of Scenic flows through to a dignified and effective dining system once on board! I hope that is is managed fairly, giving everyone the b

Thanks so much, that's more information than we have gotten in months.

Yes, thank you for doing that. That's actually quite helpful. I too, would expect the highest category suites to get priority. I imagine only the Chef's Table will be an issue. Fingers crossed we get to go!

• 5 weeks later...

Been reading about the new Eclipse being built ever since they announced it was being built, and now they are building a second one! Was considering booking a cruise to Antarctica but since the ship was not going to be ready in time we ended up going on an Antarctica cruise this year (February, 2018) on Silversea. It was absolutely wonderful, and now that we have been to Antarctica we decided to look into booking a cruise to the Artic. Saw the penguins and whales and now we want to see the polar bears and walruses. I think we are going to book it on the new Scenic Eclipse for July, 2020.

I hope that Scenic opens up a separate forum for Scenic so we can post there and exchange information.

Been reading about the new Eclipse being built ever since they announced it was being built, and now they are building a second one! Was considering booking a cruise to Antarctica but since the ship was not going to be ready in time we ended up going on an Antarctica cruise this year (February, 2018) on Silversea. It was absolutely wonderful, and now that we have been to Antarctica we decided to look into booking a cruise to the Artic. Saw the penguins and whales and now we want to see the polar bears and walruses. I think we are going to book it on the new Scenic Eclipse for July, 2020.

I hope that Scenic opens up a separate forum for Scenic so we can post there and exchange information.

One of our doctors has a digital frame on his desk with slideshows of his travels. He highly recommends Longyearbyen for polar bears and the whole arctic experience.

Hello all,

We have just booked the Transatlantic. We too are Seabourn regulars and hope the experience lives up to the hype. We are in Suite 516 so hello to the poster in 515. Thanks for all of the info so far.

It loos like Deck 5 will be the place to be! We are in 512 on the transatlantic. Will be very interesting to compare the ship with our Seabourn experiences. Did you book your "freechoice" excursion in Gibraltar? We have selected the tour with St Michaels Cave and the apes. I hope we see some more detail on the cruise from Scenic soon........................

I haven’t done anything but book the cruise. I need to buy insurance and then I will look at the details of excursions. We whave been to Gibralter and the cave and monkeys are a lot of fun. Just don’t have any food in your pockets or they will be all over you. A poor oman was in line in front of us and she forgot she had food in her backpack. They were all over her head, pulling her hair. She was petrified. The rest of us just pushed them away.

• 4 weeks later...

I rang Scenic in Australia, and spoke with the people looking after bookings for the Eclipse. I was advised that the luggage allowance in the brochure is a guide and intended to inform guests expectations about what is reasonable to carry/store in cabins etc. On their river cruises, 3 suitcases for 2 people are routinely accepted without question. Any more than that tends to cause storage problems in the cabin, given their small size compared to ocean ships. So for the Eclipse, the rep advised up to 3 cases, plus hand luggage, per cabin would be reasonable, on longer cruises where guests might wish to take two cases per person, it would be ok , but possibly would cause some storage problems in the smaller cabins.

So....................the 1 case per person will not be strictly enforced but guests should exercise common sense about the amount of luggage they bring on board!

Also, the rep mentioned that there will be another public update about the Eclipse in July. Everything is still on track for the advertised voyages.