Sun Princess not having much luck with New Zealand weather this cruise!

Sun Princess is currently doing a cruise around New Zealand and she is not having much luck with New Zealand weather this cruise!

So far she has missed Fiordland and today she missed Akaroa! :eek:

Sun Princess made it in to Port Chalmers OK, Yesterday.

Sun Princess is currently sitting between Parparaumu & Levin.

This is where she is at the time of this post:

marinetraffic_ais_sun_princess_22032018.jpg

Sun Princess is due in to Wellington tomorrow.

I had thought they would let her in tonight, but I guess the weather wont let her in. :confused:

We just got off the Diamond today. We were fortunate to do some of Fiordland and all our ports in New Zealand. That said, we had two really rough sea days on our return to Sydney. The whole cruise was bumpy, but not like this. At one point, on Tuesday, the ship was leaning so far starboard that it was disorienting and difficult to walk. Even people with the patch were feeling it. I did okay with bonine but I had to lay down. To make matters worse, the ship lost TV satellite service for both days so if you were feeling ill there was nothing to do in your stateroom( Princess credited each passenger 50Aus for the inconvenience)I learned that cruising New Zealand is not for the weak of stomach lol. Fortunately, our group got through it with a minimum of discomfort.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cairn Mom, glad you all made it through this.

Keith

Lol- it was the tv that did me in. We had an absolutely amazing trip but it was definitely rock and roll. Now, we’re looking forward to the Serenity with you in September.

Lol- it was the tv that did me in. We had an absolutely amazing trip but it was definitely rock and roll. Now, we’re looking forward to the Serenity with you in September.

Looking forward to the Serenity trip as well.

The good news is that this cruise should be much calmer. ;p

Keith

Our crossing from Sydney to New Zealand last month was very rough and the captain had to slow the Sun down as so many passengers were feeling ill and he also didn't want to damage the ship due to very high waves. We were 12 hours behind schedule when we neared Fjordland and we had to bypass seeing that area of scenic cruising which was definitely disappointing for all of us on board. However, the safety of passengers comes first and with that being said, we were able to make it into all of our other ports on the itinerary. The crossing back to Sydney from Bay of Islands was very smooth but the current again slowed our ship down and she was late by a couple of hours getting into Whites Bay. It was then a scramble for a lot of folks who had early flights out and we made ours by the skin of our teeth. Certainly was an adventure and we would do it all over again in a heartbeat. New Zealand, as well as Tasmania, where we went first, were beautiful countries and we would love to see more of them!

Barb

Cruising to NZ in 2 weeks on the Radiance and watching the weather.

Was on the Radiance N/Z cruise on the 31st Jan. On leaving the Sydney Heads we had 4.5 mtr waves and the Radiance handled it well. All my family of 5 had no problems with sickness. N/Z had just copped bad weather from a Cyclone that hit the South Pacific. We were very lucky and managed all ports. I hope your cruise goes just as well and you have good weather. Grab some free travel pills from the sick bay just in case.

John.

Was on the Radiance N/Z cruise on the 31st Jan. On leaving the Sydney Heads we had 4.5 mtr waves and the Radiance handled it well. All my family of 5 had no problems with sickness. N/Z had just copped bad weather from a Cyclone that hit the South Pacific. We were very lucky and managed all ports. I hope your cruise goes just as well and you have good weather. Grab some free travel pills from the sick bay just in case.

John.

Glad to hear that radiance handled the big waves well. Thanks for the tip!

Our crossing from Sydney to New Zealand last month was very rough and the captain had to slow the Sun down as so many passengers were feeling ill and he also didn't want to damage the ship due to very high waves. We were 12 hours behind schedule when we neared Fjordland and we had to bypass seeing that area of scenic cruising which was definitely disappointing for all of us on board. However, the safety of passengers comes first and with that being said, we were able to make it into all of our other ports on the itinerary. The crossing back to Sydney from Bay of Islands was very smooth but the current again slowed our ship down and she was late by a couple of hours getting into Whites Bay. It was then a scramble for a lot of folks who had early flights out and we made ours by the skin of our teeth. Certainly was an adventure and we would do it all over again in a heartbeat. New Zealand, as well as Tasmania, where we went first, were beautiful countries and we would love to see more of them!

Barb

A friend of mine was on that Sun Princess cruise, she said it was a rocky ride. A bad area for big seas. We had 40 foot seas off South Island on ye olde Regal Princess in 2007 - Force 12 gale.