What do you do for internet?

sjde

We are taking a RCCL Baltic cruise this summer and plan to buy an internet package. What's the bast way to go-bring a laptop, use the business center, my phone? Generally we turn data off on our phones when overseas. In the past we brought a laptop but not sure I want to this time.

I take a laptop because I use it during travel (airports, hotels, etc) and to look at photos I've taken, but I don't usually use it on the ship to connect to WiFi. I prefer to use the ship's computers because it helps me keep the internet to proscribed times (of my choosing); I can't do without it on board, but I can make sure it doesn't follow me around.

A laptop is pretty heavy. Although I use an Apple tablet at home, I travel with an Amazon Fire tablet. They are lightweight and inexpensive, so if I lose it along the way I’d be sad but it wouldn’t ruin a trip. Great to stream or play downloaded Netflix, email, social media etc. great for using wi-fi and downloading all of our Kindle travel books.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A laptop is pretty heavy. Although I use an Apple tablet at home, I travel with an Amazon Fire tablet. They are lightweight and inexpensive, so if I lose it along the way I’d be sad but it wouldn’t ruin a trip. Great to stream or play downloaded Netflix, email, social media etc. great for using wi-fi and downloading all of our Kindle travel books.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depends on what your needs are, but have only taken a laptop once in 21 cruises. Use a tablet for all our travels now.

We are taking a RCCL Baltic cruise this summer and plan to buy an internet package. What's the bast way to go-bring a laptop, use the business center, my phone? Generally we turn data off on our phones when overseas. In the past we brought a laptop but not sure I want to this time.

Tablet for browsing, backup for pictures, and ebooks. Phone in airplane mode with WiFi turned on to check email. WiFi also works with data roaming turned off.

We have a small laptop (about the size of a tablet) for traveling. We tend to use the onboard computers, if they have them (sometimes), but our personal computer is much more useful as we can use it in our room late at night when it's much less of a struggle to get online.

Except for our last cruise (Star Princess) it fits in the safe in the room.

All of this is personal preference.

I prefer bringing a laptop because I can have multiple browsers on them as not all work very well on a ship and I find that the laptop is faster and has a strong signal which partially offsets some of the inherent problems with internet on a ship.

Keith

All of this is personal preference.

I prefer bringing a laptop because I can have multiple browsers on them as not all work very well on a ship and I find that the laptop is faster and has a strong signal which partially offsets some of the inherent problems with internet on a ship.

Keith

I agree with bringing the laptop...actually I would bring my desktop if I could ;)

I earn my living from working on the Internet. The world can survive me being offline for a few days. Unfortunately, as I will be arriving a few days prior to my cruise, my work laptop will accompany me. :( However, don't expect me to be purchasing any Internet packages.

We haven't brought a laptop for years. Why bring something so big and bulky, unless you have business to conduct.?

Photos go into the cloud or we bring extra memory cards. Email, internet or Netflix is with our tablets (or phone with data off). If we don't get an internet package on board, we find free WiFi in port.

We bring a small laptop - not heavy at all. It allows us to maximize the ship minutes because we can quickly get to our book-marked sites and log in, compose emails offline, and do our browsing at off-peak hours in our cabin or a lounge. The ship's computers don't have our contacts or favorite sites or our stored user names, and they may also be busy during peak times. I'm also not crazy about people waiting for access to one of their computers standing around looking over my shoulder while I'm online in the computer lounge. We also use our laptop to upload photos daily, edit and organize them, and to keep a daily travel journal. Works for us!

I find it funny that people think a 3 lb laptop is "heavy" and bulky. How times have changed.......Just like how waiting 2 minutes for a microwave to heat [whatever] now seems like a long time.

I don't even own a tablet - if I'm going to use a small, on-screen keyboard, I'll use my phone, LOL.

For travel (and at home), I LOVE my Chromebook. It's got an 11" monitor, folds up like a tablet if I'm so inclined, and weighs less than 3 pounds. It easily fits in my purse, and a charge lasts for hours. Bought it refurbished years ago for less than $200.

For travel (and at home), I LOVE my Chromebook. It's got an 11" monitor, folds up like a tablet if I'm so inclined, and weighs less than 3 pounds. It easily fits in my purse, and a charge lasts for hours. Bought it refurbished years ago for less than $200.

I’ve always heard that women carry everything in their purses...Including the kitchen sink. I now need to modify that thought to Laptops [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

I always take my laptop (15" HP that weighs 3 lbs and is very slim), and use it to review the pictures from the day, keep a copy of all photos in case the memory card gets lost, etc. We also carry our smart phones, and e-readers, but keep them offline unless we are in port.

I did not get the package last time, and I'm not sure I will this next time. I have T-Mobile, and with my plan, we get free data roaming. I used it in port at Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Grand Cayman. It worked until we were a mile or two from port.

My next cruise is longer, but each port has coverage, so I might do the same thing.

Edited: Will be getting the Skyroam global mifi instead of buying internet through the ship.

Edited by dreadpirate3

I make do with my tablet when I travel. I find the screen large enough to process photos and handle the email I can't ignore. My laptop stays at home.

I wished but my tablet doesn’t have the storage capacity to store all my HD videos and photos. I even have to bring a portable hard drive to store all the fun

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums