All Ama cruisers!!! Share expierences and ideas

Crusin-Suzan

We were able to sign into the AMA Waterways site as soon as we put the down payment on it. The confirmation # is an 8 digit number on the top of our invoice on the right side. Seems strange that you cannot log in, as this information is usually available immediately after your booking. Perhaps check with your TA to find out your proper confirmation # so you can log in and check out the site.

I can sign into that! ! Its the App on my ipad that wont let me sign in!!!

Hi All

We are two Seniors who have taken many ocean cruises ,and will be taking our first river cruise with AMA on The Prima in about a month.

Any thoughts/suggestions regarding such things as dress code, tipping, land tours, dining, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Over 80 and still loving the cruise experience.

Thanks in advance!

Cambriah

We took our first river cruise last April after many years of ocean cruising and we were immediately hooked. Booked our second one for this upcoming May. Dress code is very simple. Most people go to dinner in casual clothes. Even on the Captain's dinner night, you do not see a lot of men wearing jackets, etc. Some may wear a pair of khakis and a shirt and tie. But mostly, its casual. We paid our tips when we booked our cruise both times and that works out well. We also tip as we go along to people that we feel deserve some extra. The staff on these ships work hard and go out of their way to make you comfortable and happy. There are several types of tours at each port. One is for gentle walkers and the other is for people that want a bit more of a tour. The cruise line is very good to provide the right transportation for each type of activity level. Dining is very relaxed. People often sit with others at a table each night which helps you meet many people from all over the world. There is always a buffet at each meal but you can also order from the main menu. Always lots of snacks in the lounge with afternoon sandwiches and sweets around 4 pm even if the ship is almost empty. Hope this helps and if you have any specific questions, please let me know. Enjoy your cruise.

Cambriah,

Are you from Cambria, Ca? Very beautiful part of the world!!

Please see my review of the Prima here:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=221231

It is fro 2013 but things have not changed much. If you have any additional specific questions after reading it, please let me know. Enjoy your cruise, I am sure you will be hooked!!

We were able to sign into the AMA Waterways site as soon as we put the down payment on it. The confirmation # is an 8 digit number on the top of our invoice on the right side. Seems strange that you cannot log in, as this information is usually available immediately after your booking. Perhaps check with your TA to find out your proper confirmation # so you can log in and check out the site.

I called AMA my file had my travel agent email and didn't recognize mine so it has been switched and I am now able to go through the check-in process and get all my info onto their website (I thought check-in meant do it much closer to departure but you can do it anytime) I guess the AMA website will send me more info 60-90 out about the tours etc.

I downloaded the App on my phone but AMA told me I can't add my cruise onto the App and see anything until just before my cruise. Thanks again for all the info, great spot to share.

I downloaded the new App for AMA on my Ipad and although I'm logged in, cannot get any further than the screen that says Add your cruise.

AMA told me we won't be able to add our cruise until just before departure. We will get an email from them inviting us to download the App and at that point the specifics of our cruise will be available.

AMA told me we won't be able to add our cruise until just before departure. We will get an email from them inviting us to download the App and at that point the specifics of our cruise will be available.
Thanks for letting me know.

I agree, I like to be well prepared and there is limited info from previous river cruisers available.

Thanks for all the info, my teenage boys will appreciate the snacks between meals :)

With ocean cruising I picked my shore excursions months in advance, how does it work with Ama? We cruise in July on the Rhine and our final payment is due in April. Will I get all my info after final payment is in and that is when I pick my excursions or do you just decide once on the ship?

Much appreciated.

Maureen, Calgary, Alberta Canada

Just to let you know, AMA has a different system this year for excursions. Right under the cruse check in option, it shows a button that says Shore Excursion Registration. This is new this year for us. You can now go and sign up for excursions ahead of your departure and read about them. If you decide you want to make changes when you get on the ship it is no problem. After you sign up for your excursions, you will get a confirmation from AMA along with a list of what excursions you signed up for. For repeat AMA clients, when I went to sign in, my personal information was included and I just had to verify there were no changes. Saved me a lot of inputting the information and digging out passports again. Very convenient.

Just to let you know, AMA has a different system this year for excursions. Right under the cruse check in option, it shows a button that says Shore Excursion Registration. This is new this year for us. You can now go and sign up for excursions ahead of your departure and read about them. If you decide you want to make changes when you get on the ship it is no problem. After you sign up for your excursions, you will get a confirmation from AMA along with a list of what excursions you signed up for. For repeat AMA clients, when I went to sign in, my personal information was included and I just had to verify there were no changes. Saved me a lot of inputting the information and digging out passports again. Very convenient.

I am curious as to how far in advance of your cruise you were able to select your excursions.

I am curious as to how far in advance of your cruise you were able to select your excursions.
I just logged in and did my check in on the weekend and noticed that the option was there for us to check out the excursions and sign up for them. I didn't really notice this before. We were 2 full months out from the cruise. Not sure if the option was there before or not as I didn't check.

I just logged in and did my check in on the weekend and noticed that the option was there for us to check out the excursions and sign up for them. I didn't really notice this before. We were 2 full months out from the cruise. Not sure if the option was there before or not as I didn't check.

Thanks so much. Have a great cruise.

We sail on the AMAVIDA on the Douro beginning of June. Our third with AMA. Looking forward to booking excursions in advance

Optional excursions

When do you find out about the optional extra-cost excursions?

Thank you.

The special interest tours are listed on the same page with the regular tours. They are distinguished by (special interest tours) in the list. I do not believe there is any extra charge for them.

I forgot to ask if anyone on AmaKristina or a similar ship had any issues with engine noise or vibration? We are in cabins 320 and 322 and I have no idea how close to the engine room we are. I now understand it would have been smoother doing the Rhine northbound but we are starting in Amsterdam and getting off in Basel because we are carrying on to Italy after so it made more sense that direction for us. Appreciate any input.

I forgot to ask if anyone on AmaKristina or a similar ship had any issues with engine noise or vibration? We are in cabins 320 and 322 and I have no idea how close to the engine room we are. I now understand it would have been smoother doing the Rhine northbound but we are starting in Amsterdam and getting off in Basel because we are carrying on to Italy after so it made more sense that direction for us. Appreciate any input.
We were in cabin 330 on the AmaSerena and we didn't have any issues with noise. The first time our ship started the engines to leave port to head on the Danube river cruise, my husband and I woke up because of the engine starting, but I think it was because it was a newer noise for us. After that, we didn't notice it at all. My husband noticed a couple of times when the crew were bringing in the lines, but the engine noise was not bothersome at all. Nor vibrations.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not recall a Signature coctail from last year. In 2018 AMA Waterways now has a cocktail hour each day which is included in the price of the trip. Perhaps this Signature cocktail may be part of the new coctail hour. I have two friends sailing next week on AMA and when they return I will ask them about this.

I do not recall a Signature coctail from last year. In 2018 AMA Waterways now has a cocktail hour each day which is included in the price of the trip. Perhaps this Signature cocktail may be part of the new coctail hour. I have two friends sailing next week on AMA and when they return I will ask them about this.

I was able to load a cruise on my Ipad using the AMA Cruiser app. The only cruise so far that was in the system seemed to be the AMA Viola leaving Budapest on March 23. Since this is a learning experience I've been looking at the cruise on the app each day. Its a pretty cool app. You can share it with family and friends. You can download your Daily brochure that shows the activities. There is a map which shows your location. You can share any pictures you take with your Ipad or telephone with your family or friends. The Daily brochures shows that there is a signature cocktail each day, and it gives you the times of the cocktail hour. I for one will use this app when we are on our river cruise in May.

Evening dress is more smart casual on river cruise ships. Many men wear jeans or khakis and a golf shirt or cotton shirt. Ladies wear a mix of clothing. Perhaps a nicer top with pants or capris especially in June. The Captains Dinner people dress a little better. You will see a mixture of clothing on that night. My husband wore a shirt, tie and khakis. We didn't see many suits or sport coats at night on the river cruise. I wore a sparkly top with dress pants. Some ladies did wear dresses. It is much more casual dress than ocean cruises. Hope this helps.

Thank you. That's very helpful.

Evening dress is more smart casual on river cruise ships. Many men wear jeans or khakis and a golf shirt or cotton shirt. Ladies wear a mix of clothing. Perhaps a nicer top with pants or capris especially in June. The Captains Dinner people dress a little better. You will see a mixture of clothing on that night. My husband wore a shirt, tie and khakis. We didn't see many suits or sport coats at night on the river cruise. I wore a sparkly top with dress pants. Some ladies did wear dresses. It is much more casual dress than ocean cruises. Hope this helps.

We're going on our first river cruise with Serena from Vilshofen to Budapest in June. Really appreciate hearing about experiences and tips anyone might have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

HI! A friend and I just booked the June 1 cruise. Are you on that one? My first river cruise so I'm open to any info.

We are going into Munich a couple days early (been there 3 times). Looking forward to Budapest!

HI! A friend and I just booked the June 1 cruise. Are you on that one? My first river cruise so I'm open to any info.

We are going into Munich a couple days early (been there 3 times). Looking forward to Budapest!

Make sure you leave yourself lots of time for the Fisherman's Bastion in Budapest. It is a most stunning place to visit. The Views are amazing and the cathedral is stunning. The illumination sail is beautiful as well.

Does anyone have experience with transfers through AMA? We arrive in Munich very early in the morning. I assume there is some waiting for other guests before the AMA transfer leaves. Could we be waiting until the afternoon to depart for Vilshofen?