How much do you tip your butler and cabin attendant on a 12 day cruise?

KMACKCANADA

Can open.

Worms everywhere!

Seems to happening a lot lately! lol

I don't go on a cruise knowing who or what amount I'd tip. My thoughts on tipping is very much not the American train of thought on the subject, and believe a tip is given as a reward for getting good service. If I didn't think I'd got good service, then there would be no tip. Luckily (for me and the staff), I've always had good service. How much I give is between me and the person receiving and always given after and never before.

We never have as we’ve already tipped if it’s included in the fare. We’ve never been made to feel like it was expected either. We did once give our stewardesses little gifts but that was part of some ongoing banter. And they even questioned whether or not it really was for them to keep.

So we have people who tip nothing extra, people who give to the crew fund (which crew then know about), people who tip at the end, people who tip during the cruise, people who tip at the beginning, and people who frown on those who tip at the beginning as doing something unsavory.

As for the latter, if you are a regular cruiser and likely to see many of the same crew again on a future voyage, I see tipping at the end and donating to the crew fund as equivalent to pre-tipping, but for the next cruise, because on the next cruise then it is likely regular crew will remember you as a tipper or generous crew fund giver , e.g., when they warmly greet you as “friends” on boarding.

What bugs me most is not tipping per se, but not receiving the luxury service that was advertised, e.g., when you pay full fare, but because you are not a “regular”, you get substandard service (e.g., sitting waiting for wine refills for ages while two tables down waiters are casually chumming around with pax they know from prior cruises).

I also abhor crew engaging in behaviors clearly designed to solicit tips but of dubious utility, especially near the end of a cruise. That is fortunately less common on luxury cruiselines like SS, SB , and HL.

• 2 weeks later...
Umm.... what would you reply if someone asked you? Of course they’re going to tell you that the majority tip. I think the results of the straw poll here indicate otherwise.

At the beginning of our last Transatlantic our butler said the most important thing to him was getting a good review, because if they get a lot of bad reviews their contract won’t be renewed. Working on SS is something they strive for, as the pay and benefit package is better than on other lines.

He added that if there was anything negative we would consider writing on the review, we should tell him first so that he could deal with it at the time. We had wonderful service, wrote an excellent review, and did not tip.

Thanks for that advice.

We never have as we’ve already tipped if it’s included in the fare. We’ve never been made to feel like it was expected either. We did once give our stewardesses little gifts but that was part of some ongoing banter. And they even questioned whether or not it really was for them to keep.

We share your approach and have done for 22 years sailings on Silversea.Brochures throughout this period have all clearly stated NO

GRATUITIES Are Expected.We are happy to pay the inclusive fare and abide by the extremely clear rules.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have sailed on SS several times and although tipping is included, we always tip both our butler and cabin attendant when we disembark.

Curious what others have to offer in the way of advice for the $ value that would be appreciated by the staff.

ZERO - Tips are included.

I feel differently & I realize that people in non USA parts of this world have opposing views. Vive la difference. I think you have to do what makes you comfortable. I wouldn't knock anyone who didn't tip since it is clearly advertised "no tipping expected". I LIKE to show appreciation with a small token of thanks. Certainly not extravagant, but when I know that the housekeeper or butler is going out in port, I give them some cash to treat them to dinner or a pedicure or whatever. I also like to take one of those cute kits with eye shadow, moisturizers, etc that you get as a bonus with Clinique or Lancome, etc for the housekeeper. They usually really appreciate them & I always appreciate her hard work & good nature. I certainly don't expect anything extra & am quite sure we all get the same excellent level of service whether or not we tip.

We share your approach and have done for 22 years sailings on Silversea.Brochures throughout this period have all clearly stated NO

GRATUITIES Are Expected.We are happy to pay the inclusive fare and abide by the extremely clear rules.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Rules are things that must be obeyed. Silversea are telling you that you won't have gratuities added to your bill like other CL do.

The way I see this (and accept it's an opinion no more or less valid than anyone else's views) is that a tip is something given for great service as a reward. When I feel that's happened and I've been looked after, I will show some appreciation.

I certainly don't support the US values of being expected regardless and have no qualms with anyone making their own minds up on whether to tip or not and how much. Just dont think it's an instruction not to do so or a "rule".

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

We always tip the butler and room attendant....they work their asses off every day. We spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on these cruises, we certainly can afford to pay a few extra bucks to the people we have the most contact with and do the most for us. Most of them come from countries where a few bucks go far.....Only once have we not tipped a butler...it was on Silver Explorer...the butler was very forgetful. Pretty much anything we asked , he forgot. But we did leave a tip for the room attendant who was terrific.

We're on the Shadow now, and made the donation to the crew fund (Thank you all who posted). So last night we waddled into the Panorama lounge, and Kirk ran up to us, called us by name and thanked us. It was a bit surreal, he indicated that they did in fact have our picture up - it's our first Silverseas.

Jan

We are going on our first Silversea Cruise in a few weeks time. Although I know brochure says no tips are expected I did still realise they would be gratefully received. Thanks for the info about the crew fund also as I hadn't come across this on previous cruises with different companies so we shall certainly contribute to that as it’s all the work that goes on behind the scenes too that is so important. Tickets arrived yesterday so the countdown begins, can’t wait to try Silversea.

We are going on our first Silversea Cruise in a few weeks time. Although I know brochure says no tips are expected I did still realise they would be gratefully received. .

I give up. No tipping required or expected. By all means, bring your tipping habits with you so the few crew you do choose to tip can expect the same from all passengers. Why so they hang signs that read "do not feel the birds?"

We always tip the butler and room attendant....they work their asses off every day. We spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on these cruises, we certainly can afford to pay a few extra bucks to the people we have the most contact with and do the most for us. Most of them come from countries where a few bucks go far.....Only once have we not tipped a butler...it was on Silver Explorer...the butler was very forgetful. Pretty much anything we asked , he forgot. But we did leave a tip for the room attendant who was terrific.

There are plenty of crew members who work their asses off in much more demanding jobs with whom you do not come into contact. What about them? Or are tips only for crew who can thank you profusely? That's why the Crew Welfare Fund is the way to go imo.

There are plenty of crew members who work their asses off in much more demanding jobs with whom you do not come into contact... That's why the Crew Welfare Fund is the way to go imo.

Could not agree more.

Thanks to all here for mentioning this fund as I was clueless about its existence on my last Silversea cruise.

Where do we go onboard to kick in for this fund?

Silver Muse, Alaska 2019 about to be booked shortly.

• Like 1

I wish luxury lines would raise fares, raise crew wages, and make it a policy (as I am fairly certain it was when I began sailing Seabourn) that crew many NOT accept tips and that accepting a tip is a dismissible offense.

Maybe instead pax should be banned from rebooking if they tip;p

Maybe instead pax should be banned from rebooking if they tip;p

I remember our first super All inclusive to Boscobel Beach in Jamaica, where the hotel policy most certainly was tipping not permitted and staff accepting tips were sacked.

Of course it still happened.... But had to be done in secret.... And those who looked after us were looked after in turn. The clue is the relation between gratuities and gratitude.

If Superclubs who ran the hotel at the time were to ban customers who tipped from rebooking, only the tight wads would be back again!

Having just returned home from the Shadow, my policy of rewarding for good service and resisting when it wasn't there was in place. For the first time ever, our butler received nothing.

Edited by les37b

Well, i think this topic has been beat to death...back to the OP...so you have your answer....some do some dont. Your money, your choice. You should be able spend your money However you wish...so to each his/her own...

Well, i think this topic has been beat to death...back to the OP...so you have your answer....some do some dont. Your money, your choice. You should be able spend your money However you wish...so to each his/her own...

Very well stated!

Was curious what others did and if my own practices were too much or too little. I certainly don't understand the sensitivity to the question! Not trying to tip shame anyone here; just taking a poll.

No worries.

For some reason this question on all of the cruise line boards and the general boards (such as first time cruising board and the ask a question board) solicit lots of opinions on what to do and for that matter opinions to the original poster for asking the question. I think it has taken over first place in the category of bringing out all sorts of emotions ever since smoking was curtailed in most areas on most ships. Used to be if someone on CC asked about the smoking policy it brought out a lot of opinions and emotions. Oh another one is what is the evening attire on formal evenings. :cool:

Even ask how much to tip a porter who takes your luggage at the port, or someone at the airport who helps with the luggage or even a taxi driver and there is a wide range of opinions on this one in terms of in what countries tips are expected and how much to tip. Another one is how much do you tip a tour guide.

Sometimes you would think opinions on tipping are equivalent to what political candidates one supports because for whatever reason this topic does get very emotional.

In the end, I do think it is important to know the policy for each cruise line and whether or not tipping is included in the cruise fare. The link I provided you earlier notes that.

https://www.silversea.com/life-onboard/all-inclusive-luxury-cruises.html

And then to know that in the case of Silversea where they are included in the cruise fare (except for things like beauty salon and spa treatments) that some people might still tip one or more people (at the beginning, middle or end of the cruise), some will not tip anyone, and some might give to the crew fund (on some lines known as the crew welfare fund) either at the start, middle or end of the cruise).

So in the end my advice is just do what you want to do and don't overthink it. Again, what people do or not do in the way of tipping will be all over the place. Thus lots of different opinions on this topic.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Keith

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
I have never tipped on Silversea, but on our last cruise during a chance meeting on deck with the maitr’d he made it clear that if you tip him, you’ll get better service in his restaurant.

He should be 'canned'.