Travel blog/app suggestions

HoogieNZ

Does anyone know of a good app like the one we used to use called Travelpod as that has now been bought and closed down. We are heading off on the Koningsdam in about 3 weeks so want to get something set up before we go. We like to keep our friends posted via Facebook but we won’t have wifi on the ship so want to be able to type stuff up off-line including pics we take and then download them when we get to somewhere with free wifi [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been extremely pleased with http://www.wordpress.com but http://www.blogspot.com is also very popular. I think with either you will want to do a bit of setup before you leave home but you can post to either by email. Someone here tried www,wordpress.org and had problems posting by email so I'll strongly suggest staying with the .com version. I don't do Facebook but I suspect one or both has an easy link to it.

Roy

I've been extremely pleased with www.wordpress.com but www.blogspot.com is also very popular. I think with either you will want to do a bit of setup before you leave home but you can post to either by email. Someone here tried www,wordpress.org and had problems posting by email so I'll strongly suggest staying with the .com version. I don't do Facebook but I suspect one or both has an easy link to it.

Roy

I suspect I’m the one Roy is referring to regarding WordPress.org. Once the dust cleared my suspicion is that the issue with posting by email was at my Domain providers end, and the Postie plugin wasn’t performing because it wasn’t receiving the emails. But that is speculation.

I ended up spending well over an hour troubleshooting and chatting with my service provider, then getting help from the WordPress.org online community while at Iguazu Falls. Definitely not something you want to do aboard ship. I was on free Wi-Fi at my hotel. (And at that time, It was not education I really wanted at that moment).

I agree that WordPress.com is probably all you need.

For a WordPress.org site, there is a lot more you have to do, and set up (purchase and register your domain, configure your space on the server, set up WordPress and any plug ins- really more than most people would want to do). The Postie plug-in is really nice, but I would not classify its set up as beginner friendly. I chose the WordPress.org path for personal growth (more themes available, more plug-ins, having my own “playground” where I could try things I would NEVER try at work, without worrying too much about messing something up.;p)

WordPress.com also has an iOS application.:cool: (But it won’t play with my domain :'))

Edited by TiogaCruiser

There’s an app called Journi. If all you want to do is have a “photo blog with captions” it might be an option. Know, however, that unless you make your “moments” public, your readers will have to sign up for a Journi account of their own. It’s free and it’s easy, but I didn’t want to make my moments public and I don’t like asking people to sign up for anything, so I’m not going to use for the time being. I might change my mind at some point.

In the meantime, I’m a Blogger user and very happy with the flexibility. I tried Wordpress, but I didn’t care for the archive gadget.

If you use either of those platforms, and you are a Windows user, look into Open Live Writer ... it’s a free software package that allows you to write/format offline and upload with a click or schedule a post when you have internet. I haven’t tested whether it works on Android devices, but if you are using a laptop, it works great.

If you use either of those platforms, and you are a Windows user, look into Open Live Writer ... it’s a free software package that allows you to write/format offline and upload with a click or schedule a post when you have internet. I haven’t tested whether it works on Android devices, but if you are using a laptop, it works great.

Thank you. This is just what I've been looking for.