Tropicana...Any tips if you were doing it on your own??

vvnh16a

Looking to do a nightclub and of course the Tropicana always comes up. Yea I know is pricy but hey first and probably last time in Havana. If you were to do this on your own from the ship...any tips regarding cabs, or what time to get there,or how to get better seats??? How about the return back to the ship after the show??

I have nit done this one but the one at the hotel National. Less money, no smoking and about 10 ton15 CDC's each way.

I got my ticket at home online. Research it and had my agent do it. As far as my taxi there were some in the port area.i said the hotel name in English and was there in minutes.

The return there were taxi,s everywhere and I said terminal. I was there in about ten minutes.

They seem to know some words. I knew the price when I arrived. But I had enough money to cover taxi and another drink

Looking to do a nightclub and of course the Tropicana always comes up. Yea I know is pricy but hey first and probably last time in Havana. If you were to do this on your own from the ship...any tips regarding cabs, or what time to get there,or how to get better seats??? How about the return back to the ship after the show??

We offer a very popular shore excursion to the Tropicana while in Havana. Also another evening tour to the Cabaret Parisian located within the Hotel Nacional.

We offer a very popular shore excursion to the Tropicana while in Havana. Also another evening tour to the Cabaret Parisian located within the Hotel Nacional.

For a lot more money then I paid and I was by the stage at the Hotel.

For a lot more money then I paid and I was by the stage at the Hotel.

No doubt our tours are more expensive than going it alone. But some people appreciate the ease of having all the logistics planned out for them, plus the safety of traveling in a familiar group, especially if traveling alone. To each his own.

Just booked our first cruise on Azamara, Caribbean & Cuba. I was looking at the shore excursions vs doing a night on our own when I found that on March 2nd the US issued a Level 3 -Reconsider Travel alert for Cuba. In the alert they specifically say to avoid Hotel National, which is where Cabaret Parisian is and the Hotel Capri.

Wondering what impact this Alert will have on the itinerary and or shore excursions. We would be really unhappy if the Cuba ports ended up being cancelled and replaced with the run of the mill Caribbean ports.

Very strange. I have been there twice. The hotel is lovely and the views are wonderful from the gardens.

When I was there in Nov I just walked off the ship the second day. The first day I did a ships tour then walked around and had lunch in town

The rules seem to be getting tough with Trump in power. I already been to Havana three times and plan on a cruise in Dec. I would not be happy if I could not got out on my own

Just booked our first cruise on Azamara, Caribbean & Cuba. I was looking at the shore excursions vs doing a night on our own when I found that on March 2nd the US issued a Level 3 -Reconsider Travel alert for Cuba. In the alert they specifically say to avoid Hotel National, which is where Cabaret Parisian is and the Hotel Capri.

Wondering what impact this Alert will have on the itinerary and or shore excursions. We would be really unhappy if the Cuba ports ended up being cancelled and replaced with the run of the mill Caribbean ports.

Thanks for this information. I am also planning to book for Cuba and I did not have an idea of a new travel alert. I will have a look.

Ivi

Thanks for this information. I am also planning to book for Cuba and I did not have an idea of a new travel alert. I will have a look.

Ivi

I just disembarked a Cuba-intensive cruise on AZ Quest and there was no problem walking around on my own. I did take a tour every day but often only partial day, and I walked around afterwards.

I just disembarked a Cuba-intensive cruise on AZ Quest and there was no problem walking around on my own. I did take a tour every day but often only partial day, and I walked around afterwards.

In Nov i did a tour the first day-the second day just left. no problem. the ship crew knew i left for the day.

I've just been researching this, as I've also just booked an Azamara Cuba cruise in November. Cuba has been listed as a Tier 3 country since the new ranking system by US State Dept came out, in January I believe. In March it was just renewed at the same level.

Also, the concern over Hotel Nacional would be for those staying at the hotel overnight because I gather it is one of the places where embassy employees were staying and were targeted with whatever methods were used to impact their hearing. I would not be very concerned about a casual visit in a public area of the hotel...

Edited by cruisemom42

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the Cuba intensive cruise and we DID do the Tropicana on our own.

Left the ship about 8:15 and caught a cab/taxi to the Tropicana...they wanted 30 CUC settled on 25 CUC one way,,,but then he offers to stay for us and drive us back to the ship...deal arranged paid 50 plus 10 CUC for a tip total of 60CUC and this was for 4 people!

Bought tickets for the Tropicana on line before we left for the cruise.....bought the $95 tickets. when we arrived at the Tropicana, they checked our tickets and seated us directly at the stage center...could get no better seats. Waiter comes buy and say drinks will be served at 10 pm (start of the show)...we were offered 1/2 bottle of 7 year run of 1/2 bottle of Chivas (took the Chivas). Also ladies on entering were given a nice long stem Rose and men an encased Cuban Cigar.

Show was for 1 1/2 hours..alot of dancing, music and shouting. Overall opinion of most was show could be reduced to 1 hour and no one would miss it. It was outdoors and weather was perfect. Some men did light up the cigars near our table so be aware it can happen!!!

Over all opinion, show is overpriced and not necessairly Las Vegas quality BUT if you are in Havana it probably is a good thing to see yourself.

BTW..our cab driver was waiting for us afterwards and we got back to the ship about 12 midnight!

And we did the Parisian on our own. We went into a hotel in Havana and bought the Parisian tickets for $35 each. Shared a taxi with another couple to the Hotel National for 10 CUCs each way. Show started at 10pm and we had excellent seats. Included a drink. Our taxi was also waiting for us after the show

And we did the Parisian on our own. We went into a hotel in Havana and bought the Parisian tickets for $35 each. Shared a taxi with another couple to the Hotel National for 10 CUCs each way. Show started at 10pm and we had excellent seats. Included a drink. Our taxi was also waiting for us after the show

Did you like the show??

this show was great. saw it a year ago. paid the same and was by stage. would see it again. taxi was not waiting but there were several waiting for us