4-20 March Oosterdam Panama Canal/T-Mobile

What was that?

I will shortly begin a review of the cruise, but I wanted to mention my satisfaction with my recent switch to t-mobile for cell service! It is easy to use and reliable. One of the best features is that when we get to a new port and I switch airplane mode off, I get a “Welcome to <country name>” message from t-mobile. No surprises!

Cruises, stars, it’s all so confusing...

We love it too. Plus, for two phones, on the 55 plus plan, autopay, it is $60 total per month including taxes. We often have coverage in Mexico, Europe, etc, when others we are traveling with do not with more expensive carriers.

I look forward to your review. We cruised the PC full transit on the Celebrity Infinity, in November of last year, and enjoyed it immensely.

• 2 weeks later...

After returning home following the cruise, I can report that my experience with T-Mobile continued to be satisfactory in all regards. We had data and text comms in every port, albeit at reduced speed (as clearly stated by T-Mobile, but usually faster than the 2G claimed). We would typically connect well before docking, and it continued until we were well out of the port. A bonus was in the Bahamas, there was connectivity well before we got to HMC (apparently via cell towers on Cat Cay) and again after leaving (apparently via cell towers on Eleuthera).

I spoke with other T-Mobile customers on board who had the same experience, but I must also say that I did not place any voice calls so I cannot say how well that would work.

Like FlorenceItaly/Marie, we chose the "T-Mobile ONE Unlimited 55" plan, which is $70/month for two lines, with a $10 discount for autopay - net $60/month. I found it a little difficult to get all the information I wanted beforehand (a list of countries where it works, etc.) but in the end there were NO PROBLEMS.

Some other people on the cruise did have comm problems with other vendors, but I will leave it to them to report as they see fit. I only report on my personal experience.

thanks to everyone for the information. Last week, just before the $60 offer expired, I signed up for the plan to test it. While around home it doesn't seem any better/worse than any other your endorsements mean that I will switch over my phone from AT&T shortly! Can't wait to get the service at cruise ports!

Thanks for sharing your experience! We switched over to T-Mobile's 55+ plan last fall when they offered a Black Friday deal...buy one iphone, get one free and so far the service has been much better than what we experienced on Sprint.

Next month we will also be doing a 23-day Panama Canal cruise on the Zaandam and I am looking forward to having access to data & texting in the ports. I feel so much better when we can check in with family when we travel. Having free texting & an hour of data on our flights is another nice perk.

I think cellular calls will be 20 cents/minute so am wondering if there is any way to turn off calls without disabling the data? Is there a charge for calls that go to voice mail?

Thanks for sharing your experience! We switched over to T-Mobile's 55+ plan last fall when they offered a Black Friday deal...buy one iphone, get one free and so far the service has been much better than what we experienced on Sprint.

Next month we will also be doing a 23-day Panama Canal cruise on the Zaandam and I am looking forward to having access to data & texting in the ports. I feel so much better when we can check in with family when we travel. Having free texting & an hour of data on our flights is another nice perk.

I think cellular calls will be 20 cents/minute so am wondering if there is any way to turn off calls without disabling the data? Is there a charge for calls that go to voice mail?

I received one or two voicemails and see no charges on my account. I even listened to them. Just don’t answer the calls.