6680 pax?? No thanks!!

CILCIANRQTS

I always think I'd love to take a cruise on one of those just to see what it's like, you know, for the wonder of it all. We talk about it every year, just a short cruise maybe. But when it comes to actually spending our cruising dollars? We just can't pull the trigger and always run back to Viking or Azamara or some sort of expedition trip.

LOL. When cruising on the Royal Clipper (the Star Clipper line), we were sailing out of Lisbon. Next to us was one of those enormous ships (Costa line, I think). They were all looking at the Royal Clipper under full sail. My husband waived to them and said "enjoy your floating Pittsburgh!" Now whenever we see one of those ships, it's always Pittsburgh to us.

LOL. When cruising on the Royal Clipper (the Star Clipper line), we were sailing out of Lisbon. Next to us was one of those enormous ships (Costa line, I think). They were all looking at the Royal Clipper under full sail. My husband waived to them and said "enjoy your floating Pittsburgh!" Now whenever we see one of those ships, it's always Pittsburgh to us.

love that...:):)

Beg to differ with you Ron

There are big ships, and there are small ships.

Some of the big ships are better than others, and some of the small ships are better than others.

I have been on one of the supposed ‘good’ bigger ships (not 5500 size). And even then - It’s just too many flipping people and no way to escape them. No thank you. Never again.

Beg to differ with you Ron

There are big ships, and there are small ships.

Some of the big ships are better than others, and some of the small ships are better than others.

I have been on one of the supposed ‘good’ bigger ships (not 5500 size). And even then - It’s just too many flipping people and no way to escape them. No thank you. Never again.

(y)

The capacity is about 5,500 (double occupancy).

There are no big ships, no small ships. There are good and not so good ships.

The dwarfish boats, despite high price tags, are not necessarily better experience overall than the large ones. Just different.

I like the "floating Pittsburgh" term, but who knows, maybe that was a "floating Neapol" (Paris, London, Nice, or simply best cruise ships afloat)?

Although much is lost from the orginal design due to RCI/Celebrity new policy, the Harmony is still an outstanding product of modern shipbuilding.

Again who knows, maybe a cruise on this ship will be your best cruise ever.. :)

Interesting that you would try to downplay the size of the ship by quoting double occupancy. Total capacity is 6620, and we can assume there will be PLENTY of kids onboard to fill up those cabins with such attractions as: a children's water park, revamped Boardwalk amusement area, laser tag, ice skating rink, 3 high speed water slides, Sugar Beach candy shop, The Youth Zone, and the Kids Sail Free promotion.

In addition, I can't wait to mingle with 13,240 of my closest friends on changeover day in the cruise terminal!!

I don't why the lot of you are feeling so smug and superior for preferring Viking's 900 or so passengers to Royal Caribbean's 6000 or so when you know that the people who go on Windstar and Seabourn have the same opinion of us! Viking is a magaliner to those people and I hope they don't turn their noses up at us. It's not nice.

Point is, every ship has its fans. And its pluses and minuses. I don't buy into the idea of sneering at the big ships. We've been on Oasis and Allure and they're not my preference--but not because of the passenger load. The megaliners are very carefully engineered so as not to feel crowded. I like smaller ships because I like having a view of the sea close at hand and that's more easily accomplished on Viking or Azamara size ships. But to get that I give up other things like spectacular Broadway shows. And the zip line. And the putt putt golf. It's a different kind of cruise experience, and not one that I have a craving for as I do for Viking, but it's perfect for some, and I'm glad for them. There's enough room on the high seas for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Heck, I will go on Windstar, Azamara, Seaborne, Oceania, and any number of lines as long as the ship isn’t a mega ship. The itinerary drives my choices unless there are friends/family who we want to travel with. I am not professing Viking to be the ‘do all end all’ line. I simply do not like large ships - and will not go that direction when we are making choices for the two of us. We like Viking a lot and hope to travel with them a lot.

Large mega ships work for a whole lot of people and a number of close friends. I do not have a negative, nor superior and smug opinion of those who do like them. To each their own. I believe there was simply agrreement with the OP that we preferred smaller ships. At least that was my position.

Edited by Vineyard View

]I don't why the lot of you are feeling so smug and superior[/b] for preferring Viking's 900 or so passengers to Royal Caribbean's 6000 or so when you know that the people who go on Windstar and Seabourn have the same opinion of us! Viking is a magaliner to those people and I hope they don't turn their noses up at us. It's not nice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Yikes! A bit harsh. I don't think anyone here or myself was feeling smug and superior. I believe it is all personal preference. I prefer fewer passengers without bells and whistles. If you prefer a mega ship, that's terrific. No judging from me.

Yikes! A bit harsh. I don't think anyone here or myself was feeling smug and superior. I believe it is all personal preference. I prefer fewer passengers without bells and whistles. If you prefer a mega ship, that's terrific. No judging from me.

Whereas I, with a virtually complete lack of experience, find it that much easier to be smug and superior. [emoji12] Boo, mega-ships! Go, Viking!

Edited by Twitchly