Water

kristy29

Buying 24 bottles at $53 amounts to the same thing as buying those bottles individually at a convenience store give or take. I've ordered my case and if there are no mess ups...which I'm not confident about so I will print out the page saying I paid for them.....it will be in my cabin.

I won't drink the tap from my room nor am I going to worry about bringing refillable bottles and standing there filling it with a cup

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Buying 24 bottles at $53 amounts to the same thing as buying those bottles individually at a convenience store give or take. I've ordered my case and if there are no mess ups...which I'm not confident about so I will print out the page saying I paid for them.....it will be in my cabin.

I won't drink the tap from my room nor am I going to worry about bringing refillable bottles and standing there filling it with a cup

Why does anyone care if people drink tap water or bottled water? Seriously do posters here really have nothing better to do than argue about other people's water preferences.

It's so very, very odd.

Why does anyone care if people drink tap water or bottled water? Seriously do posters here really have nothing better to do than argue about other people's water preferences.

It's so very, very odd.

I normally wouldn't, until the comment was made that it was so important to buy bottled water that the poster couldn't pay their rent. That's just asking for snarky comments. It's ridiculous when better water is available out of the tap on the cruise. These same people will get water during dinner... Where do you think that comes from? Lol. But if you see it come from the tap yourself, then it's awful, tastes different, and you question if you can make your rent payment to pay to avoid it. Lol.

It's so very, very odd.

Where did I say I care what others do about water?

I stated my preference

We bought Brita water bottles with a built in filter and this is another option if like me you don't like to 'taste' your water. I also bring along some lemon flavoring (a dietary essential oil version) to make sure I don't run into taste issues. As a bonus, you can replace the filters in the Brita bottles and use them for other trips where you don't want to be stuck overpaying for bottled water. We use ours at the Disney parks and save some serious $$ on water.
We did this last cruise too. We also brought on board 4-5 empty 1 Liter water bottles. We filled those with the filtered water from the Brita sports bottles and kept them in the fridge. Just use the tap water in your room, no need to go to the buffet.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I normally wouldn't, until the comment was made that it was so important to buy bottled water that the poster couldn't pay their rent. That's just asking for snarky comments. It's ridiculous when better water is available out of the tap on the cruise. These same people will get water during dinner... Where do you think that comes from? Lol. But if you see it come from the tap yourself, then it's awful, tastes different, and you question if you can make your rent payment to pay to avoid it. Lol.

You’re making an assumption there. I order bottled water in the dining rooms as well. You’re right, it is the same water there and tastes just as bad. Lol.

Also, her comment about the rent was humorous. A joke. That’s all. And it was funny.

Even with the filtering, ship water has a higher level of sodium and chlorine than the tap water I have at home. In 2015 I did two 7 days cruises back to back. The first was on NCL. I drank a lot of ship water. By day 4, my feet and ankles had swollen to the point that I was losing mobility. I was very worried about what state I’d be in at the end of the two weeks. The second cruise was on Celebrity and we had the drink package which, on that line, includes bottled water. I drank only bottled water that week. The swelling went down and I was back to normal before the end of that week. So either the NCL food has THAT much more sodium than Celebrity, or it was the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I drink a lot of water too. I understand about you needing it at night to take medicine; I wouldn't want to be traipsing up to the buffet or somewhere at that time of night either.

I agree that NCL's policy of no water is wrong and their prices are absurd (on Princess 12 bottles are about $7). You can, however, bring on some empty water bottles, which is what I did.

I don't mind the tap water in the room as long as it is cold. So I fill my empty bottles and keep them in the fridge. The steward will also leave ice for you each day, if you ask for it and often if you don't. He also might find a pitcher for you.

Most tap water tastes funny to me, especially chlorinated, as we have well water, but most ship water seems better than most city water.

Exactly

If you want cold water. Though maybe all the rooms but studios have fridges? Studios definitely don't, but the lounge does have ice water a good chunk of the day so I just refill before I head to dinner because the ice my steward leaves might melt if I'm out late.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We won't drink the water from the tap in the cabin because it tastes like pool water with the sodium hypochlorite they add to it. The water at all water dispensers at bars, the buffet, and in the restaurants is carbon filtered. While it tastes a little flat compared to bottled water, we have no problem drinking it as the chlorine is filtered out. So yes, the water does come from the same place, but is treated with single step filtration during the pour. That is the difference. That's why those of us who drink a lot of water, and care about the taste, don't want to get up and head out to the buffet at 2 AM when we're thirsty.

Even with the filtering, ship water has a higher level of sodium and chlorine than the tap water I have at home. In 2015 I did two 7 days cruises back to back. The first was on NCL. I drank a lot of ship water. By day 4, my feet and ankles had swollen to the point that I was losing mobility. I was very worried about what state I’d be in at the end of the two weeks. The second cruise was on Celebrity and we had the drink package which, on that line, includes bottled water. I drank only bottled water that week. The swelling went down and I was back to normal before the end of that week. So either the NCL food has THAT much more sodium than Celebrity, or it was the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I never dispute people's claim that they retain water, but I will debate the claim that the water has more sodium than at home. I don't know where in western NY you live, but I looked at Buffalo's water quality report and they show 11ppm sodium in their water. The vast majority of ship's water is made by flash evaporation which produces water at 0-1ppm sodium, and dumps the distillate to sea if the level rises to 10ppm. A smaller percentage of water is made by Reverse Osmosis, which will produce in the 0-10ppm range, and dump to sea if it reaches 20ppm. Then there is municipal water taken on in port, and NYC reports in the 30-60ppm range, and Miami in the 20-50ppm range. Blending all of these sources will get a typical ship's water supply in the 10-15ppm range, which compares nicely to Buffalo's (which is really quite low for a municipal supply in an area that uses road salt).

As fshagen has said, the water from the drink stations around the ship use a carbon filter to remove the chlorine, and for those early morning drinkers, filling a carafe from the sink and letting it sit open on the counter or in the fridge overnight will allow the chlorine to dissipate naturally. By the way, Buffalo chlorinates at 4ppm at the intake point, but since the water sits in the distribution pipes until used, the chlorine can dissipate naturally, and depending on water usage and distance of your home from the treatment plant, you could see anywhere from 0-4ppm of chlorine in your tap. Ship's water, because it is constantly recirculated, is kept close to a constant 0.5ppm chlorine.

I agree with those frustrated about the water situation. I bring the Whirlpool drop filter with me. It will filter any chlorine out of the water.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EveryDrop-Whirlpool-Water-Filter-Kit/

You really need a fridge in the room to cool the water. My experience is that the water is warm, I guess from the desalination process. So I use an old water bottle and put it in the fridge for a few hours to get it to room temperature.

I agree with those frustrated about the water situation. I bring the Whirlpool drop filter with me. It will filter any chlorine out of the water.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EveryDrop-Whirlpool-Water-Filter-Kit/

You really need a fridge in the room to cool the water. My experience is that the water is warm, I guess from the desalination process. So I use an old water bottle and put it in the fridge for a few hours to get it to room temperature.

The water does not go from the watermakers directly to your cabin. It goes to storage tanks first. The reason the water never runs "cold" is that the water pipes are not buried in the ground where the average temperature at 6 feet down is 50-55*F. The water on a ship is circulated from the 100*F+ engine room through 70*F air conditioned spaces, plus it gets constantly warmed by the pumping energy required to move it around the ship.

That's why those of us who drink a lot of water, and care about the taste, don't want to get up and head out to the buffet at 2 AM when we're thirsty.

Not “those of us”. I also drink a lot of water, both at home and on the ship, and I’m very picky about taste, but I never get up to go anywhere. I don’t even get up to go to the kitchen at home during the night. I simply sleep with an ice water filled bottle by my bed, regardless of where I am. The thought that you can’t problem solve this is surprising.