Help with BARCELONMA HOTELS

palamoh

Ok, after reading all the posts here, we rethought the idea of staying in Barcelona for a week, and pared it down to only three nights.

Also, when poster DD posts here warning the city is unsafe at night, we have decided not to allow our two teenage nieces to go out alone night, or day in Barcelona. From what most of you people have said, Barcelona sounds like a very unsafe, and dangerous place in day, and especially at night for tourists. (n). We have gotten from posters here, the impression Barcelona is a worse place than port calls in the Caribbean! So, why do cruise ships even stop in Barcelona? :eek:

Thanks to all for your insight on safety issues, and for hotel recommendations. We’ll be on the lookout for those pickpockets. ;)

Don't overreact to every statement. Barcelona is a wonderful city to visit. Just like any other tourist area you need to be vigilant and aware of your surroundings. There are many wonderful areas of Barcelona, most people's experiences are of the tourist area around Las Rambla.

Don't overreact to every statement. Barcelona is a wonderful city to visit. Just like any other tourist area you need to be vigilant and aware of your surroundings. There are many wonderful areas of Barcelona, most people's experiences are of the tourist area around Las Rambla.

+1 As stated, one needs to be vigilant. Barcelona is a beautiful city, and as with most large cities, it has it's share of good and bad. That said, I would never avoid a cruise with BCN as either a port of embarkation, disembarkation or a port of call. It is too beautiful to be missed!

Honestly the comments here are getting a little out of control. Barcelona is a beautiful city. There is so much to see and during our many visits there have never once felt unsafe. You must exercise some caution just like in all cities big and small all over the world including here at home. Otherwise why travel? Just stay home.

I've visited Barcelona twice and enjoyed touring Gaudi's buildings, especially Sagrada Familia - one of the most amazing churches in the world. I also enjoyed the walking tour of the gothic quarter run by the local tourist board.

However, out of about 75 countries that I've visited, Barcelona is at the top of the list of places to be a potential mugging victim. I noticed a mugger inside one of Gaudi's houses sizing up victims - he was obviously paying much more attention to the tourists than he was to the building. I also witnessed a new scam. A "hysterical" local women came up to one of the fellow Americans on my walking tour prior to it starting and claimed that she had just been mugged. This local asked for money from the American for transportation which the well-meaning American provided. As the local turned around, I saw her grin. If she truly had been mugged it was odd behavior. Additionally, a policeman was down the street and the "mugging victim" did not approach him to report her "crime".

Enjoy the charms of Barcelona but protect your belongings and avoid mass transit.

Ok, after reading all the posts here, we rethought the idea of staying in Barcelona for a week, and pared it down to only three nights.

Also, when poster DD posts here warning the city is unsafe at night, we have decided not to allow our two teenage nieces to go out alone night, or day in Barcelona. From what most of you people have said, Barcelona sounds like a very unsafe, and dangerous place in day, and especially at night for tourists. (n). We have gotten from posters here, the impression Barcelona is a worse place than port calls in the Caribbean! So, why do cruise ships even stop in Barcelona? :eek:

Thanks to all for your insight on safety issues, and for hotel recommendations. We’ll be on the lookout for those pickpockets. ;)

Major port, reasonable docking fees Cheap fuel, easy access to many nearby islands so the cost of sailing is less and cheap. Same reason they stop in many So American. ports and African. $$$

Wow--we love Barcelona but like many European cities, you need to be vigilant for the pick pockets, throw the baby at you scam, the three card monte scam, the gypsies (but that is a story for Madrid). I was pick pocketed in a bus in Florence--should have had my hand over my purse but did not. Rick Steves has reported he was pick pocketed for the first time ever in Paris. The Las Ramblas area is probably the worse -- looking for easy prey. My daughter did her junior year abroad and the kids who had problems were the ones who were falling down drunk every night.

We were in Barcelona last month and had a wonderful time. Didn't feel unsafe at all. As others have said, you just need to be aware of your surroundings, as you would in any major city - in the US or elsewhere.

This time, we stayed at the Hotel Catalonia Passeig de Gracia, just up from the Plaza de Catalunya. It is a boutique hotel, with a very helpful and friendly staff. Located on the Gran Via, it is well situated for exploring by foot and public transportation. An added bonus is complimentary wine and tapas in the afternoon.

We have been in Barcelona several times, for several nights each visit, and found it to be an interesting and beautiful city during the day.

We have stayed in three different areas in Barcelona, all in Hiltons, and the first one was in an area with several bakeries and some boutique shops, and we did go to the bakeries in the evening and back to hotel without feeling uncomfortable.

In the touristy areas, not limited to but including La Sagrada Familia, Los Ramblas or the the gothic quarter- Barrio Gotico, Park Guell, all the famous fountains, Very interesting during the day but not on your life, at night.

Barcelona is a huge and very busy city. They have a population of 1.7 million people and are having some political problems.

I am so sorry you cancelled your 7 days in Barcelona. There is so much to see there, during the day. It just isn't a place to be out at night, especially for young women. Quite honestly, there aren't many large cities in the world anymore that would be safe for young women to be out meeting people. It is just too dangerous.

In case you should change your mind and decide to do do 7 daytimes in Barcelona, here are a few things. Oh, and there are several HOHO buses, we took them all so we would know what we wanted to come back to.

Here is some info also.

https://www.barcelonayellow.com/bcn-photos/204-top-10-attractions-barcelona

Edited by SPacificbound
addition

there are some posters (one in particular) who is afraid of almost everything (muggings, infections, shoe-snatching, sea creatures, etc). Perhaps staying at home with an afghan pulled tightly around is the best option for the extremely fearful among us.

+1.

Yeah So unsafe that DD has 2 more trips planned to Barcelona. I don’t believe any of us were telling you not to go there. Just don’t be so foolish to think it is safe for young girls to be off by themselves during the evening. Just like in pretty much any strange city. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

There are some posters (one in particular) who is afraid of almost everything (muggings, infections, shoe-snatching, sea creatures, etc). Perhaps staying at home with an afghan pulled tightly around is the best option for the extremely fearful among us.

+1

Ivi

We've stayed at El Palace and liked it quite a bit. It's a bit removed from the tourist areas, which was fine with us.

In past threads I've seen lots of recommendations for the hotel 1898. Perhaps that's the one you were thinking of?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Have a look at El Palace Hotel, it used to be the Ritz. Another Hotel with charme, that could be interesting is the Brummell. Have a look at trip advisor for reviews.

Ivi

Another vote for the El Palace! One of the nicest rooms we have ever stayed in! Make sure to get more than an entry level room, however. ;)

not to pander to emotions or fear but smart travel is travel decisions made from knowing all the plus and minus a destination or region holds so one can evaluate if, for them, the benefit out weighs the risk for you.

Blindly heading into the unknown with rose colored glasses is very shortsighted and to ignore reality as a child would, running into the street...

Making intelligent decisions is all about knowing the good the bad and the ugly....its not about being a cool traveler.