100% Kona Coffee

snowman

We were in Kona 3 yrs. ago and found the best place to buy the coffee was the local grocery stores. Also, you can tour several local coffee estates which sell their own coffees. It has been over 3 yrs., so I don't know what the price is now.

Expect to pay $25 and up for 100% Kona. If you are touring Volcano National Park, you will pass Hilo Coffee Mill on the way there/back. They have 100% Kona, K'au, Puna, and Hamakua coffee. Just check their website for the prices, http://www.hilocoffeemill.com. All of the above coffees are grown on the Big Island. However, I would recommend getting the city-roast as all of the above coffees do not have strong coffee flavor when they are medium roasted.

I was in Kona a couple of weeks ago and bought mine at the local Wal-Mart. I checked to make sure it was 100% as they do have blends also. I paid about $6 for it. You might also want to try Maui and Kauai coffee - I also got them at Wal-Mart stores for about the same price.

We were in Kona several weeks ago and got some great 100% Kona coffee from a flea market right there in town. The booth was from GP Farms, which is a small family owned farm. I don't remember the exact price but it was significantly lower than what we had found at another coffee place in a mall down the road from there and the coffee is wonderful!

We purchased 100 % Kona last year on our cruise. We chose Peaberry which is the rare variety and paid about 300 $ for 10lbs.

Expect to pay $25 on the low end for 100%

If you are getting a very good low price it probably is not 100 %

Also if you are going to costco......check out the choc covered coconut flavor mac nuts! To die for!

Have a blast

We usually hit the Foodland, Walmart, or Longs for Hawaiian coffee beans on sale. There are also some really good roasters that you can buy from on line. One is Bad Ass on the island of Hawaii. They have good coffee and stores on at least a couple of islands, besides their online store. Cherie

If you have the time while in Kona visit Greenwell Farms or UCC Hawaii-they have wonderful farm tours and the best Kona Coffee.

Believe me when I tell you there is NO 100% Kona Coffee at the Walmart in Kona for $6.00 or anywhere else here for that matter. The blends they have are 10% Kona and run in the $6.00 range and you get what you pay for. Might as well buy Folgers.

Marie in Kona

I would recommend Mountain Thunder coffee. On our last trip to Hawaii I asked several tour guides and taxi drivers which was their favorite and most told me Mountain Thunder. You can get it at Long's or Walmart. It runs about 30.00-35.00 per pound.

They also have tours from both of their locations.

I have a standing order and get a delivery every month. Great coffee!

We will be in Hilo, Kaui, Maui and Honolulu and would like some pure Kona coffee, not the blend. Where can I get some and roughly what the price would be. Thanks

Another coffee you might want to look at is coffee grown in the Ka'u district of the Big Island.

Ka'u is near the Kona District. In a coffee tasting exhibition in California a year ago, they ranked real high - 2nd place - to Kona and is a few cents cheaper.

Our day on the Kona Coast we took a drive a little south of town and ended up at the Kona Joe's Coffee Plantation. They sell wonderful, award-winning 100% Kona coffee and the view from the plantation is magnificent. Go there and buy a bunch of bags, right from the source.

We were in Kona in August and there was a little stand set up just down the street from the Pier. They offered their coffee for a very good price, and even offered to ship home for us via USPS. We bought 4 pounds of peaberry for $100, and they paid the $10.35 shipping!

Later in the day, we were in Longs Drug (take the Hanna's trolley for free and walk across the street!)

We bought another 3 pounds for $88, and then send it via UPS...it cost more, and UPS took 6 days, whereas the USPS shipment was waiting for us when we got home.

My $0.02 worth? Buy from the growers with the table.

• 8 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We've been to Kona several times and always try to make it to Mountain Thunder Coffee Plantation above Kona Town. It's about 15-20 minutes from the pier by car. They have a nice free farm tour and they sell a variety of freshly-roasted Kona Coffee.

This post was from 8 years ago.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I can't help it. I always loved Lion's coffee when I lived there. I used to go to a diner that served it. It was my favorite part of a weekend.

Of the 3 most commonly available 100% Kona/10% Kona coffee (Lion’s, Hawaiian Isles, Royal Kona), the Royal Kona is my preferred brand but all are good to me. The more limited availability brands are more expensive & might be better but RK, HI & Lion’s brands work for me. About once per month Long’s Drugs has each brand on sale for a week when we stock up on coffee.

But Costco’s everyday prices are even better for those brands even when on sale at Long’s but some are larger bags. Despite the price increase from $20 to $25 for a 1 lbs. bag of 100% Kona whole bean coffee, Nicky Beans tastes great to me. We use a grind & brew coffeemaker so whole beans works best for our :hot-beverage:

Edited by Astro Flyer

But Costco’s everyday prices are even better for those brands even when on sale at Long’s but some are larger bags... We use a grind & brew coffeemaker so whole beans works best for our :hot-beverage:

Very smart idea to grind your own beans - and not only for freshness. Someone once told us not to use the coffee-grinding machine at Costco to grind your beans because the residue that collects from all the beans ground in it gets into your beans as they grind and make for a mixed bag of flavors. Any truth to that?

Very smart idea to grind your own beans - and not only for freshness. Someone once told us not to use the coffee-grinding machine at Costco to grind your beans because the residue that collects from all the beans ground in it gets into your beans as they grind and make for a mixed bag of flavors. Any truth to that?

I grind the beans for each pot for freshness. Based on the consensus I’ve read they now say to store coffee in an airtight container/bag and in a cool dark spot Being in Upcountry that’s easier for you to do than for me at sea level. Not refrigerating nor freezing also makes sense to me because a frost-free freezer is a dehumidifier. And that dries out the oily coating on the coffee beans & it’s probably even worse with ground coffee.

I’ve never used a store’s coffee-grinder but it makes sense to me that there would be some blending when using a store’s coffee-grinder.

I think that Kona is still being affected by an invasive insect affecting Kona coffee beans. That insect occasionally affects all coffee growing regions but it’s probably why Kona coffee prices have increased due to less of the high quality Kona coffee being available.

You will not even find a pound of 10% kona coffee for $6. Most bags that are for sale are measured in ounces, 10 ounces, 12 ounces. ABC stores are everywhere and they have it. It was $24 for those bags of 100% a few weeks ago.