Bringing Dog from USA to NZ

Does anyone happen to know of a cruise of some sort (I really don't care what kind of boat it is as long as it's not a yacht) that would allow me to take my pet dog with me? It would be a 1-way trip from USA to NZ, which means the dog will be going through all the import rigamarole (so maybe that makes a difference in the answer?). I did email the NZ animal import office and they say they can't give me any such information. Maris has a route that would be perfect - their FAQs state pets are not allowed, but I sent a message via their contact webpage to ask anyway....so far it has been well over a week and I haven't heard back (guess the next step will be to call). Figured I'd also try asking here if anyone can at least point me in the right direction!

I don't know if the QE2 is going to New Zealand but it allows dogs to travel on board.

I remembered on the TV news seeing one of the up market ships in Sydney with a travelling dog on board. The dog was not allowed off the ship but had a crew member take it for a walk while the owner was off touring the city.

Here is something that I found by a quick google search. Hopefully there are other lines that take dogs as well.

QM2 features a fully equipped onboard kennel, with space for 12 dogs, a playroom, and designated outdoor walking areas. The line doesn’t allow pets free rein on the ship, but it does offer owners four visiting sessions a day, including a long one in the afternoon during which dogs can play with their owners on deck.

Kennel fees range from $500 for dogs under 25 pounds to $700 for larger dogs, while fees for cats, which need two kennels, cost $1,000. Weight restrictions apply, and mastiffs, greyhounds, Great Danes, and other large breeds are not allowed. Cunard also requires rabies vaccination paperwork, a recent tapeworm treatment, and a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)-approved pet certificate.

Thank you for the response, sewgood! Unfortunately the QM2 is only Transatlantic. I'm looking at Cunard's website, and the QM2 is the only one it mentions as allowing dogs. But the QE does go from SanFran to Auckland, so I'll try specifically contacting them to ask about dogs on that.

Their fares page only states the prices are per person (for double-occupancy), voyage only.

I do not know of any cruise line that allows pet dogs and also travels from the USA to NZ.

In any case, the quarantine laws for NZ are strict. You should consult your vet about those and be absolutely certain you follow them, otherwise your poor dog could end up isolated in quarantine for 3 months.

We don't have rabies or heart worm in NZ and do not want them.

It is most likely that you will have to make prior arrangements and bring your dog here by air.

....the quarantine laws for NZ are strict. You should consult your vet about those and be absolutely certain you follow them, otherwise your poor dog could end up isolated in quarantine for 3 months.

We don't have rabies or heart worm in NZ and do not want them.

It is most likely that you will have to make prior arrangements and bring your dog here by air.

Thank you, celle! Yes, I have looked into the rules regarding importing dogs from here...there's a lot to it. But one of the rules is if the dog comes in by air they must fly as cargo, and I refuse to fly my dog as cargo, especially for such a long flight. Hence looking for a boat instead....knowing the rules doesn't do me any good if I don't have a way to get him there by boat anyway.

I called Cunard - they confirmed the QM2 is the only boat they have that allows pet dogs (so that's a no from them).

Maybe contact one of these and see if they allow dogs as cargo to travel with you.

http://www.freightertravel.co.nz/freighter-voyages/

http://cargoshipvoyages.com/

The New Zealand end has a lot of restrictions which I am sure you have checked but here is the website you need to look at for documents etc.

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/importing/live-animals/pets/steps-to-importing-cats-and-dogs/

I think someone is being a little bit precious not wanting their dog to fly cargo. I am a dog owner and I appreciate how attached one can become to their dogs, but let's face it, it is a dog not your son/daughter.

Million dollar racehorses get flown as cargo.

Edited by Russell21

I think someone is being a little bit precious not wanting their dog to fly cargo. I am a dog owner and I appreciate how attached one can become to their dogs, but let's face it, it is a dog not your son/daughter.

I would have put my son and daughter in freight to save quite a few bucks. Horrible feral little so and soes.

I mean darling little self-empowered millienials.

Thank you, celle! Yes, I have looked into the rules regarding importing dogs from here...there's a lot to it. But one of the rules is if the dog comes in by air they must fly as cargo, and I refuse to fly my dog as cargo, especially for such a long flight. Hence looking for a boat instead....knowing the rules doesn't do me any good if I don't have a way to get him there by boat anyway.

I called Cunard - they confirmed the QM2 is the only boat they have that allows pet dogs (so that's a no from them).

I'm sorry, but there simply is no way that you will be able to fly your dog to NZ any way except cargo.

The only animals that are allowed to fly in the passenger section are service dogs.

Unlike the USA, NZ does not allow small pets in carriers to fly in the passenger section for an additional fee. Even on short, domestic flights, it's fly cargo, or don't fly.

I had a puppy flown up to my town, from Wellington. It was given very good care.

I would have put my son and daughter in freight to save quite a few bucks. Horrible feral little so and soes.

I mean darling little self-empowered millienials.

Hell I'd fly as cargo, seeing some of the latest air prices. Lol

Agree - thousands of animals (from multi million dollar race horses to zoo exchange creatures as large as hippos, giraffes and elephants, and basic pets) fly in cargo every week around the world.

And yes - the lengthy quarantine in NZ is compulsory for any dog regardless of how precious and well beloved it is. Friends relocated from Aus to NZ last year and the dog had to have its time in quarantine - and neither Aus nor NZ have all the diseases US dogs have.

Its going to be an expensive lengthy process no matter what you decide. Probably kinder for the animal to adopt it out to a family in the US.

Perhaps you should contact Johnny Depp for advice on this matter.

After all he has some form in bringing a dog to Australia by plane.

As a fellow American, Johnny can probably provide some insight to the can do's and cannot do's in relation to this part of the world.

Why he may even provide some financial assistance to you in this matter.

Given they were smuggled in I suspect they just thought they could get away with it and we were just kidding with the rules.

Given that they just walked off a private plane with the dog, the smuggling* didn't take much effort.

The rich always assume the rest of us are just kidding with the rules.;)

* might explain fire ants too!

Edited by SinbadThePorter

Given that they just walked off a private plane with the dog, the smuggling* didn't take much effort.

The rich always assume the rest of us are just kidding with the rules.;)

* might explain fire ants too!

I agree with you on the first point. However, on the fire ants, I believe they were first detected near the port of Brisbane by people working doing gardening. One of them was a flatmate of one of our sons who was working while going to Uni. The guys used to complain about being bitten, but their boss ignored them. Then a new boss came and he took their comments seriously. He put some of the ants in a jar and took them to be checked out. Fire ants. Then the panic started!

Edited by Aus Traveller