Gratuities on Sun Princess on Aussie cruises

I am pretty sure I remember reading that Princess ships based in Australia do not charge the usual gratuities directly to ships bill - we are on the Sun Princess in Feb and just want to make sure this is still the case as I can't actually find it in any Princess literature.

That is correct. There are no daily gratuity charges on Princess ships sailing to or from Australia.

However if you wish you can reward any exceptional service in cash at the end of your cruise. It is always appreciated.

No gratuities are automatically added to your bill, either your cruise card or drinks bills. Stewards on these ships are paid at a much higher rate than those on ships where the auto-tips are in place. Therefore tips are not expected, but you can give a tip to stewards who you feel have 'gone the extra mile'.

No gratuities are automatically added to your bill, either your cruise card or drinks bills. Stewards on these ships are paid at a much higher rate than those on ships where the auto-tips are in place. Therefore tips are not expected, but you can give a tip to stewards who you feel have 'gone the extra mile'.

Not sure whether this applies to other than Princess and P&O in Australia.

As the thread moved to be more general, it looks like Princess are assessing whether to add a service charge/gratuities charge on Australian cruises.

It would make sense as they still need to pay a comparable wage to other lines to staff to keep their income. With the significant increases in gratuities on other lines the past couple of years, this would be adding to their costs a lot. Fortunately the amount would not be as great as on RCL/Celebrity/NCL - which is nearing $20/person/day.

Although the recent change in RCL compulsorily including them locally may make them do similar, and just highlight it as a separate component so that passengers are aware of them.

Guess we'll see soon...

Is it still the case if you book a Princess cruise outside of Australia you pay gratuities.

I thought Sun Princess Australian cruises booked in Las Vegas, London, Singapore etc gratuities are still payable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by springaussie

Is it still the case if you book a Princess cruise outside of Australia you pay gratuities.

I thought Sun Princess Australian cruises booked in Las Vegas, London, Singapore etc gratuities are still payable.

I believe so. Also any Princess cruises not departing from or arriving into Australia/NZ have daily gratuities added and onboard costs are in USD (not AUD).

While gratuities do not show up separately they will be in the total fare which would have been adjusted to cover this. Cruise lines are not benevolent societies they just adjust the fare sonAustraluans and NZ do not whinge about tips and remove them as soon as they get on board.

Not official as it's not decided yet. Just something being evaluated.

I completed a survey the other day that specifically mentioned Princess sailing here in Australia and a $2 PP a day charge.

If it is to be implemented, I can only see it being raised in the future. :mad:

Edited by By The Bay

I believe so. Also any Princess cruises not departing from or arriving into Australia/NZ have daily gratuities added and onboard costs are in USD (not AUD).

As you say that is the case elsewhere, so much for including it in our fares when in Australia.:(

It is supposed to already be included so now it is a extra on top.

Another reason to stay away from the Aussie Princess ships.

I am puzzled at your comment. :) OK, someone has said that Princess is considering introducing a small daily gratuity, but it has not happened at this point in time. If it is brought in, you can then say "another reason to stay away from the Aussie Princess ships." I have to make the observation that the comment "another reason" implies that you have several other reasons not to cruise with Princess, so the imposition of a daily gratuity charge wouldn't affect you. :D

As you say that is the case elsewhere, so much for including it in our fares when in Australia.:(

Yes, because Princess AU have adjusted local pricing to make it simpler for locals - which most prefer. Not sure why you're unhappy with that.

Edited by The_Big_M