NCL-POA: Does It Still Cruise Past the Big Island Volcano at Night?

ajtraveler66

In 2008 we were on the NCL Pride of America. One of the highlights for me was seeing the lava flow as we cruised alongside the Volcano on the Big Island at night.

I will be taking this same cruise next month. But when I examined the itinerary, it looked as though it we would not be passing the volcano. Hopefully I am wrong. What's the scoop for those of you have been on this NCL cruise lately?

Which side of the ship has the best viewing?? Thanks!

On the Pride of America earlier this month, it was starboard side. There was an announcement, sailed by at about 9:45 pm and the lights on the ship were turned off and had a great narration of history. There was plenty of time to get to a good spot.

Which side of the ship has the best viewing?? Thanks!

On the Pride of America earlier this month, it was starboard side. There was an announcement, sailed by at about 9:45 pm and the lights on the ship were turned off and had a great narration of history. There was plenty of time to get to a good spot.

Do note that you cannot count on them to make the announcement, as they did not announce it on my cruise last week while the Daily said that it was an "approximate" time and thus we were actually waiting for it before going outside (after all, we pulled out of port kind of late, and all sorts of things could affect our actual arrival), only to find that we missed it by about 20 minutes.

Something I rather wished I had known beforehand.

Does anyone know what time the shows start on the POA? We will be sailing on August 19th and want to book Cagneys for dinner on the 20th (Sunday) for a birthday celebration but don't want to miss the show. thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

We will be on the Radiance of the Sea in September from Vancouver to Honolulu we will be able to see the Lava flow? If so, would anyone know what night this will be? What island is the Big Island?

We will be on the Radiance of the Sea in September from Vancouver to Honolulu we will be able to see the Lava flow? If so, would anyone know what night this will be? What island is the Big Island?

The Big Island is Hawaii. The sail by will be after sailing from Hilo before going towards Kona. It also depends on the lava flowing.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on the cruise right now and the sail by was spectacular!

I was surprised how visible it was, seemed to hit the ocean with a fiery splash.

Starboard side 9:35 be in spot because you can see it for a lil while before announcement.

Go to a deck without any wind blockage glass like the pool deck has.

Kerri

• 5 months later...

The lava does not have ocean entry right now & POA won’t always do the sail by. However, we went by it this week and they went the previous week also. Our butler said the decision which way to go is related to which way has smoother sailing vs rough seas. Because no ocean entry, it’s up in the hill 1-2 miles inland. Bring binoculars. For the camera we brought a monopod but the pics weren’t nearly as good as seeing through the binoculars live. Also, find out what time they estimate. We left about 2 hrs late from Hilo and the viewing was around 10:45pm, and we were exhausted. I could start making it out on the hill around 10:15.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Starboard side is the right side of the ship when facing forward. Yes, they do still go past (as of Feb 2018) and you can see that there is lava moving but you need binoculars to get a good view.

The shows are usually at 8 pm. We had 6:30 dining times and made it to all shows easilly.