Royal Clipper - January 6th - 13th 2018

coolbluegreenseas

I booked this first time Star Clippers trip in November of 2016 and now I am finally allowing myself to look forward to it. The plan is to pack light (a backpack and a shoulder carpet bag), a reader loaded with books and a camera. I have my own snorkel gear and I do plan on bringing it unless someone tells me it is not necessary. Also, I did see the comment several times to bring a flashlight(torch), so the red mini one will make it into the bag. Would love to hear from other people booked for this trip and any ideas, comments, suggestions or viewpoints would be welcomed.

Your cruse is the Grenadines loop. There is excellent snorkeling on Tobago Keys and near the Pitons on St Lucia. Weather can be a factor. We have taken this cruise twice and had to miss Tobago Keys on the second trip due to high wind and waves. Tobago is an excursion and you snorkel off of a large Catamaran. In St Lucia the snorkeling is in a marine preserve and is off the zodiacs, also subject to weather and local officials regulations. Although they provide snorkeling gear and it is generally of adequate quality it is always best to bring your own to insure a good fit - especially when going off a boat. There are other opportunities of lesser quality.

Packing light is always a good strategy but note that there is adequate storage in the Royal Clipper cabins. This is a sailing ship not a sailboat :). Suitcases fit nicely under the bed and that's where my snorkel gear goes, too. Note also that laundry service is available at a reasonable cost. Also, really load up your reader. There is a lot of free time to lounge around on deck or on a beach.

I imagine you have already figured out that this is a very different experience than the big cruise ships. It is very intimate. You will make new friends fast and the crew will quickly get to know your preferences. It is nice to walk up to the bar and have them pour your regular wine without even asking :cool:.

Robbie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...