Need suggestions for next ocean or river cruise 2018-2019

zitsky

My partner and I have done two Viking river cruises and we've enjoyed them. But, as my partner says, he doesn't want to see more castles and palaces, at least for a while. Plus I think it would be nice to experience an ocean cruise for the first time.

So I'm looking at a ocean cruise around South America from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso (not Viking).

Or maybe Viking's Caribbean cruise - West Indies Explorer.

Western Mediterranean or Mediterranean Odyssey (too many churches and castles?)

Partner has also expressed an interest in Russia, maybe river cruise with Waterways of the Tsars (doesn't he know there are churches there?)

Another idea (maybe) is doing a river cruise in India. But Viking doesn't go there.

Any comments on any of my ideas?

Bacelona, the Baltic and Beyond was great!!!

Although we did not do these with Viking, The Mekong and Irrawaddy Rivers were wonderful and so culturally different. I highly recommend them. As you are choosing a company really take a good look at the boats that they are using. We really liked inside hallway with balconies rather than wrap around outside doors as it kept bugs out of the staterooms at night! These each were very fascinating trips.

I would also really recommend the Galapagos Island cruise we went with Celebrity. Do these more strenuous trip now if you still can while hips and knees work well!!!

My partner and I have done two Viking river cruises and we've enjoyed them. But, as my partner says, he doesn't want to see more castles and palaces, at least for a while. Plus I think it would be nice to experience an ocean cruise for the first time.

So I'm looking at a ocean cruise around South America from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso (not Viking).

Or maybe Viking's Caribbean cruise - West Indies Explorer.

Western Mediterranean or Mediterranean Odyssey (too many churches and castles?)

Partner has also expressed an interest in Russia, maybe river cruise with Waterways of the Tsars (doesn't he know there are churches there?)

Another idea (maybe) is doing a river cruise in India. But Viking doesn't go there.

Any comments on any of my ideas?

We can vouch for the fact that there will not be too many churches or castles on a Buenos Aires to Valparaiso cruise. We did a 17 day Rio to Valparaiso cruise 5 years ago and found there was a lot of diverse things to see in the various ports and going around the southern tip of South America is special.

Have not done a river cruise in India (ours was an extensive land tour that included a few hours on the Ganges in Varanasi to see the funeral pyres etc. (be warned, India is a very long flight from the east coast. We splurged on Business Class for that one and are glad that we did!)

Mediterranean cruises are always nice and don't have to be all churches and castles.

All in all I would say that your list of potential selections are all great! Good luck in your travel plans!

THE trip was not difficult and we usually had 3 activity levels ranging from zodiac trips around an island for viewing to some extensive hiking, snorkeling or diving. There were usually 2 excursions each day with time to rest and cool off in the middle of the day. Sort of camp for adults in a lovely setting with DRINKS!!! The naturalists were outstanding.

If time is not an issue (retired). I would suggest combining it with Machu Picchu. We were still working when we did the Galapagos trip so could not do them both at once. Machu Picchu is also bucket list trip!

We were having similar discussions, there is only so many times you can go to a Caribbean island, no honestly, when the people at the pier know your name, it may be time for a change...

So we are taking the 2018 mid Atlantic crossing in December, lots of sea days to relax.

No castles or churches on "Into the Midnight Sun," but lots of stunning natural beauty. We loved it.

Ditto!! Loved it. Now I want to do the Northern Lights version of the same cruise. The whole idea of sailing above the Arctic Circle was thrilling, especially when wrapped in the rugged natural beauty of the Norwegian Coast. See pictures.

We also loved our two week sail from Buenos Aires to Santiago/Valparaiso. It featured tango, penguins, Beagle Channel, fjords, glaciers and more. See pictures.

The china land and water tour. It was unbelievable, great tours and great food. The tour guys live in china so you see china from a different perspective

:D

We also loved the China tour ... we did the Roof of the World itinerary which includes Tibet ... it was amazing! Also loved Russia and Portugal was a delightful surprise.

We did a Viking river on the Irrawaddy. Bangkok and then on to Myanmar. No churches but plenty of temples and lovely people. We were so glad we choose that trip.

I agree if you do Galapagos also try and fit in Machu Picchu. We were on the Celebrity Xpedition and it was a fabulous trip but you must be fit. Rough terrain and in and out of zodiacs.

BXNY...I think we have had very similar travel choices!!! The Irrawaddy was probably my favorite River Cruise!

All time favorite trip though was definitely the African Safari!

We did a Viking river on the Irrawaddy. Bangkok and then on to Myanmar. No churches but plenty of temples and lovely people. We were so glad we choose that trip.

I agree if you do Galapagos also try and fit in Machu Picchu. We were on the Celebrity Xpedition and it was a fabulous trip but you must be fit. Rough terrain and in and out of zodiacs.

We have done Machu Picchu. What's a zodiac?

Deec....our all time favorite = African Safari camps as well -but this was not associated with cruising for us! Still....hands down without a doubt. 😉

I agree, our 2 week safari in Tanzania is still our favorite trip. Tarangire, N. Crater and Serengeti for the migration. Nothing comes close. En suite tents and listening to the sounds of Africa. We hope to go back, maybe Botswana next time.

BXNY...I think we have had very similar travel choices!!! The Irrawaddy was probably my favorite River Cruise!

All time favorite trip though was definitely the African Safari!

We did the Viking Mandalay in 2015, only 8 of us onboard. They couldn't do enough for us and the lovely people and our guide was fabulous. Met the family and her mother cooked a special meal for us.

• 1 month later...