Don't book with Marella - unless you have very low standards

I have just experienced two weeks on the Celebration in the Caribbean, comments as follows:

Ship was well decorated and kept for ships age

Food was acceptable, but nothing special

Drinks were excellent with a varied choice - service very slow

Entertainment was good

Itinerary very good

Staff were friendly but had no idea on manners and providing good service (exception was Joseph - our cabin attendant)

Guests that frequented the Lido Buffet and pool and Liberties bar at the rear of the ship were generally not up to the standards you would expect on a cruise. Reports of stealing and fighting were common. Gastro illness broke out - possibly due to people not washing their hands or using the many hand sanitizers present. At the end of the cruise staff were positioned at each sanitisation point to stop people that were walking past without sanitising their hands. I heard a lot of abuse from those people stopped. I also overheard one "lady" saying that she used the pool rather than walk the 50 yards to the toilets.

My recommendation is that if you like the "working mans club" environment, go ahead and book but if you are in any way a more discerning customer book with a different cruise line

I was shocked by the people on board and they made me ashamed to be British.

Edited by Daveth10

Although you had a bad time with some cruisers it doesn't mean that everyone will have the same experience.

Cruised with Thomson for the first time in May and really enjoyed it. Taking a second cruise with them in January. Will let you know if same riff raff types are on board!

My recommendation is that if you like the "working mans club" environment, go ahead and book but if you are in any way a more discerning customer book with a different cruise line

I was shocked by the people on board and they made me ashamed to be British.

Wow!just Wow!

Condescending to say the least

So many people on review sites are reluctant to be fully open and honest about their cruise. We enjoyed ourselves and met some lovely people. I just want to warn people what they are letting themselves in for. Other people have made similar comments about the ship being like Butlins, being like a booze cruise etc. I have also offered advice about where you can avoid the undesireables at the back of the ship. i.e. eat in the Meridian for all meals, sunbathe on top deck, frequent Horizons and Hemmingways rather than Liberties (where the fighting and thefts occurred).

We had a few of these bad mannered over indulgents on Majesty last year and I'm hoping that it all depends on which weeks you go

Quite a lot of new staff get on April/May and November and have to learn on the job but by July and January have usually found their feet

I always avoid Christmas Easter Spring Bank July August and October half term and the passengers are usually great

Ive been on celebration the past 2 years and never had any problems but sister ship the spirit last july was different and would have to agree with dave10th the pool was a drunken rabble so much so i wouldnt ever entertain the spirit again.I like a drink myself but this was a case of going over the score and the last day had to be seen to be believed.

So many people on review sites are reluctant to be fully open and honest about their cruise. We enjoyed ourselves and met some lovely people. I just want to warn people what they are letting themselves in for. Other people have made similar comments about the ship being like Butlins, being like a booze cruise etc. I have also offered advice about where you can avoid the undesireables at the back of the ship. i.e. eat in the Meridian for all meals, sunbathe on top deck, frequent Horizons and Hemmingways rather than Liberties (where the fighting and thefts occurred).

I,m all for honesty on reviews Daveth but it was you insinuating it was those that frequented working men clubs or on benefits that were culpable to the bad aspects of your cruise.

I have sympathy for what you experienced on your cruise but please lets not categorise the trouble makers

Ive been on celebration the past 2 years and never had any problems but sister ship the spirit last july was different and would have to agree with dave10th the pool was a drunken rabble so much so i wouldnt ever entertain the spirit again.I like a drink myself but this was a case of going over the score and the last day had to be seen to be believed.

You must have been unlucky that week on spirit, i was on seven times this year and there was not one week with a bunch of undesirables ,only the odd idiot which you always get.

]Ive been on celebration the past 2 years and never had any problems but sister ship the spirit last july was different and would have to agree with dave10th the pool was a drunken rabble so much so i wouldnt ever entertain the spirit again.I like a drink myself but this was a case of going over the score and the last day had to be seen to be believed.

You went in July - I'll say no more

Cannot speak for Celebration but, over the past 5 years, we have done 10 Thomson/TUI/Marella cruises on Dream (5 x) , Majesty (2 x), Spirit (1 x)and Discovery 2 (2 x). Apart from one group of female passengers who had obviously over indulged on first day drinks (most likely at UK airport then a few AI drinks on arrival) on our first D2 sailing in May this year we have had excellent cruises with no problems from fellow guests plus very acceptable food and good bar service so, although I do not doubt the veracity of your report Daveth10, you must have been very unlucky on your particular cruise.

We are really looking forward to our 11th sailing (first time on Marella Discovery 1) in May next year.

"Guests that frequented the Lido Buffet and pool and Liberties bar at the rear of the ship were generally not up to the standards you would expect on a cruise"

And what "standards" would you expect from guests who book a cruise ? Maybe you should suggest the cruise operators send out a "profiling questionnaire" prior to booking

"Guests that frequented the Lido Buffet and pool and Liberties bar at the rear of the ship were generally not up to the standards you would expect on a cruise"

And what "standards" would you expect from guests who book a cruise ? Maybe you should suggest the cruise operators send out a "profiling questionnaire" prior to booking

Obviously the cruise company cannot be selective over who joins the cruise - this is out of their hands. What I want to let people know is the type of guests that are now being attracted to Marella. If you are happy to have a holiday with people that steal, fight, smoke excessively and urinate in the pool then go ahead and book a cruise with Marella.

Obviously the cruise company cannot be selective over who joins the cruise - this is out of their hands. What I want to let people know is the type of guests that are now being attracted to Marella. If you are happy to have a holiday with people that steal, fight, smoke excessively and urinate in the pool then go ahead and book a cruise with Marella.

I don't smoke, steal, fight or urinate in the pool. I am very happy to go on a Marella Cruise. I'm also very glad I wont be bumping into someone that type-casts people. I'm not sure what your problem is, but the people on Marella Cruises are normally extremely nice and great fun to spend time with. The Staff are always very helpful and kind. They would not be working for Marella if they weren't. I'm really looking forward to my next cruise and meeting new people and I'm 100% sure I will have a great time. There will be the odd thing that's not perfect, or maybe someone that does something I'm not happy with, but its their holiday too. :mad: Have you ever thought the lady that said she urinated in the pool may have just wanted you get you out of the pool and away from people having fun.......

Everyone is welcome to make their choice on which cruise they decide to book with - All I am reporting is what I overheard a lady say regarding urinating in the pool. I witnessed a fight outside Liberties. I saw the cruise director shocked when he reconciled the stock for the memorabilia sale (in Liberties) against his sales - I heard him say that two items were missing. More than 25% of people around the Lido area were smoking. They are facts. Other people on this site and on the Facebook Marella Celebration group said they heard about two thefts of mobile phones and saw a guest from the Celebration shoplifting in Saint Marten. This is all about the cruise I was on. People have also commented on the many fights that occurred on the trans Atlantic relocation cruise. It is all up to the individuals whether they wish to book a cruise in the future. The point of this review site is for people to relay their good and bad experiences in order that others are better equipped to judge whether to book in the future. I still enjoyed the cruise but avoided the Lido area as much as possible and this is my advice to others, if they so wish. The food, drinks and entertainment was of a good standard as was the ships décor and tidiness. My recommendation for others is not to book until last minute (unless school holiday period) as massive discounts are available. I notice that it is possible today to book the Discovery for two weeks all inclusive Caribbean for just over £1,000 each (early January) including flights. Jumping around a bit but one other recommendation for the Celebration is that it is worth paying £45 to select your cabin in order to avoid front and rear of the ship where vibration was excessive. My cabin was next to the gangway and no vibration was present.

We are going on the celebration in January and been on reviews and talked to people who have loved this ship and Marella cruises in general, so have to say your review sounds a little snobbish! im sure all cruise lines at one time or another has had some loutish behaviour and indeed most holidays, its just human nature and not everybody is as polite as we would like them to be, and I can assure you there is nothing wrong with a working mans club ;)

you should try Butlins some time you would love it :*

Daveth10 - The title of the review "Don't book with Marella - unless you have very low standards" Indicates that people that have booked, have low standards. Its not an accurate statement unless you have very low standards. Maybe for future reviews you should consider the people you are disrespecting with your comments. I'm sure it was not intentional, but it was very rude telling people they have "low standards" and comparing them with people in a working mans club. Have you ever been in a working mans club. I doubt it, they are very fussy and may not let you in......

Everyone is welcome to make their choice on which cruise they decide to book with - All I am reporting is what I overheard a lady say regarding urinating in the pool. I witnessed a fight outside Liberties. I saw the cruise director shocked when he reconciled the stock for the memorabilia sale (in Liberties) against his sales - I heard him say that two items were missing. More than 25% of people around the Lido area were smoking. They are facts. Other people on this site and on the Facebook Marella Celebration group said they heard about two thefts of mobile phones and saw a guest from the Celebration shoplifting in Saint Marten. This is all about the cruise I was on. People have also commented on the many fights that occurred on the trans Atlantic relocation cruise. It is all up to the individuals whether they wish to book a cruise in the future. The point of this review site is for people to relay their good and bad experiences in order that others are better equipped to judge whether to book in the future. I still enjoyed the cruise but avoided the Lido area as much as possible and this is my advice to others, if they so wish. The food, drinks and entertainment was of a good standard as was the ships décor and tidiness. My recommendation for others is not to book until last minute (unless school holiday period) as massive discounts are available. I notice that it is possible today to book the Discovery for two weeks all inclusive Caribbean for just over £1,000 each (early January) including flights. Jumping around a bit but one other recommendation for the Celebration is that it is worth paying £45 to select your cabin in order to avoid front and rear of the ship where vibration was excessive. My cabin was next to the gangway and no vibration was present.

Just wondered why you were looking at the prices. Surely you won't ever go on a Marella Cruise again ? :evilsmile:

Daveth10 - The title of the review "Don't book with Marella - unless you have very low standards" Indicates that people that have booked, have low standards. Its not an accurate statement unless you have very low standards. Maybe for future reviews you should consider the people you are disrespecting with your comments. I'm sure it was not intentional, but it was very rude telling people they have "low standards" and comparing them with people in a working mans club. Have you ever been in a working mans club. I doubt it, they are very fussy and may not let you in......

OK maybe I have been a bit blunt. I am sure that in the past TUI cruises have been excellent, but I strongly believe that peoples behaviour has deteriorated and that has a risk of spoiling what a lot of people perceive to be something a bit special - "Caribbean Cruise"! I have been on two Caribbean cruises before and one Med Cruise (one of which was Thomsons) and I was to be quite frank shocked by what I saw this time, at the back of the ship. Fortunately the rest of the ship was not spoilt and it is still possible to have a great holiday. By my commenting the way I have I want people to know how best to enjoy their cruise.

Daveth 10

I understand why you wanted to make your point and as said previously I will be very disappointed in January and beyond if I come across the behaviour you describe I also heard fighting occurred on Ventura one Christmas cruise a few years ago, it even made the national news as they were put off the ship and this should have happened to those passengers you saw fighting. I also agree that some behaviour is unacceptable. On one cruise some children were bombing in the pool and upsetting a couple of invalid ladies so I asked them to stop and was immediately attacked verbally by their father who told me the sign only said no diving allowed and proceeded to bomb in the pool himself!! Bad manners and unacceptable behaviour on all my cruises with Marella have been very rare and by only a few passengers so the exception rather than the rule - thankfully

Thomson Spirit Oct 2005 Repo Palma to Sharm el Sheikh

Thomson Celebration Jan 2007 Red Sea Magic

Ocean VillageFeb 2008 Western Caribbean & Central America

Ocean VillageAug 2008 Eastern Med

Ocean Village 2 Feb 2009 Eastern Caribbean

Ocean VillageMar 2010 Eastern Caribbean

Thomson Dream Feb 2011 Eastern Caribbean & Cuba

Thomson Celebration Aug 2011 Eastern Med

Thomson Celebration Apr 2012 Red Sea Magic

Thomson CelebrationApr/May 2012 Repo Sharm el Sheikh to Marmaris

Thomson Dream Feb 2013 EasternCaribbean

Thomson Majesty​​Nov/Dec 2014 Colourful Coasts Canaries

Thomson Dream Jan/Feb 2015 Western Caribbean Panama & Cuba

Thomson Dream Apr 2015 Transatlantic Sunset

Thomson Majesty​​June 2015 Hellenic Classics

Thomson Celebration Sept 2015 Adriatic Affair

Thomson Dream​​Jan 2016 Mayan Treasures/Cuban Revolution

Thomson Dream​​April 2016 Atlantic Adventure

Thomson Dream​​June 2016 Iconic Islands/Adriatic Explorer

Thomson CelebrationJan 2017 Cities of Gold

Thomson Dream​​April2017 Atlantic Daydream

Thomson Spirit​​June 2017 Classical Greece

Thomson Majesty Sept2017 Med Medley/Treasures of Med

MarellaCelebrationJan 2018 Caribbean Gems/Coral Islands

Marella Discovery 2 April 2018 Cuban Fusion

MarellaDiscovery 2 April 2018 Atlantic Discoveries

Marella Dream May 2018 Spanish Delights

Marella Discovery 2June 2018 Aegean Meze

MarellaDream​​Sept 2018 Mediterranean Medley

PS The deck above the Lido outside Liberties on the wings and Portside promenade deck is for smokers so it is to be expected that is where the smokers are and if only a little over 25% of them were smokers then you were lucky because years ago it would have been full of smokers and portside on the lido deck round the pool as well

I don't this behaviour is by any means confined to Thomson/Marella. Sadly it appears to occure on many other lines. When you go on a cruise you are in the lap of the gods as to how well mannered your shipmates will be. I remember not so long ago I believe a Pando ship had its Christmas tree set on fire by a rowdy mob. We have perhaps been lucky and never had problem on our 15 cruises with Thomson and for that matter nor our cruises with other cruise lines. Probably the all inclusive doesn't help but the great majority of passengers no how to behave and want a relaxing holiday. The crew on Thomson/Marella are the best you will get and give there all to ensure your enjoyment.

Hi All

Inevitably people can only comment on their own experiences. and in order to provide a balance to some views held by some cruisers I can only say that I have been on several cruises in the med. on Ocean Village plus Caribbean on Thomson's Destiny. My reason for choosing these ships is the informal relaxed atmosphere, which I welcome as a person who spends the working year in a rather 'formal' environment. It is always possible for the 'few' to spoil things for the many but unless their behaviour impacts directly on me or my family I would let the ship's company deal with them and get on with enjoying my own holiday. This I suppose is easy for me to say because, as yet I have not come across any such problems on Thomson cruises - fingers crossed because I have booked a cruise with Thomson on Discovery in March 2019 to Asia!