Muse to Alaska or Wind Star to Greece in May 2019?

Unibok

Hi,

My daughter will be graduating from college next year, and I've promised her (and myself) a trip for the two of us. We've narrowed it down to a 10-day Alaska sail on the Muse or a 10-day Greek Islands sail on the Wind Star.

Very different experiences -- right?? But she is torn between them, as am I. We will add on time for both trips: Anchorage (maybe Denali) and Vancouver for the first, and Athens with perhaps a side trip to another island at the end of the other. We are both active and adventurous, a bit nerdy, and we travel well together. We love theatre and history but also nature and hiking. Each trip satisfies different parts of who we are.

Since we love them both, and they are so very different, I thought I would ask you all: which would YOU choose, and why?

Since we love them both, and they are so very different, I thought I would ask you all: which would YOU choose, and why?
Such an impossible task as you note, they are so different. So, here’s what I’d do... book them both!

I’d head to Greece shortly after graduation in early June. Then, I’d head for Alaska in July when the salmon run begins. If you can find a voyage that includes Wrangell, AK, book it! A visit to the Anan Bear and Wildlife Observatory will forever change your life. Why? Because you will see hundreds of bald eagles during your trip to the observatory to watch mother bears teach their cubs how to fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both sound awesome. I do have to admit some bias (I live on the west coast), but I would recommend the Alaska cruise, with Denali and Vancouver bookending the cruise.

Alaska is best when you are healthy and eager for adventure. My daughter and I are also active and adventurous, and more than a bit nerdy, and I would choose Alaska for the better “mother/daughter” bonding activities.

However, bring lots of layers, and definitely something waterproof, as the weather can be unsettled in the early part of the cruise season, especially further north. Don’t expect to do too much sunbathing!

The Alaska cruises are typically less formal than those in the Mediterranean, so although you will have the opportunity to dress up on the Muse, it might appeal if you don’t want too many suitcases.

No matter which you choose, have fun. Too soon they’re off on their own adventures.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If the choice is between Silversea and Windstar, I would choose Silversea in a heartbeat. Having said that, it does depend on whether you want a super informal experience on Windstar or luxury on Silversea.

I do agree that both would be a good choice. If that is not possible, try Silversea for a break from the ordinary.

Such an impossible task as you note, they are so different. So, here’s what I’d do... book them both!

I’d head to Greece shortly after graduation in early June. Then, I’d head for Alaska in July when the salmon run begins. If you can find a voyage that includes Wrangell, AK, book it! A visit to the Anan Bear and Wildlife Observatory will forever change your life. Why? Because you will see hundreds of bald eagles during your trip to the observatory to watch mother bears teach their cubs how to fish.

Haha, StumbIefoot, we would love to do both! Our time constraint is that it needs to be right after graduation, so we're looking at sails starting around May 26. It looks like the peak salmon run is in July, but run season begins in May. Twelve years ago, I cruised Alaska in August, and the salmon run was still incredible. I'm hopeful that in May, although not peak, it would still be something special to see.

The Muse itinerary does include Wrangell, so -- yay! Thanks for letting me know why that port would be worth stopping for.

The Muse itinerary does include Wrangell, so -- yay! Thanks for letting me know why that port would be worth stopping for.
You bet! Whichever voyage you pick, Alaska or Greece, you will have a wonderful time. With a daughter in college myself, I know how precious and special the times are that we get to spend with our children. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, MLeh and Emtbsam, for your perspective -- I'll share them with my daughter. MLeh, you make such a good point about doing Alaska while we're both healthy and hike-hearty.

Of course, I'm aware I've posted the question on a Silversea board, so I'm not surprised there's a trend toward Silversea. But ... there is also a trend toward Alaska rather than Greece.

Keep 'em coming! Anybody want to make a pitch for Greece?

Keep 'em coming! Anybody want to make a pitch for Greece?

Of course!

Have been to both. They are both fascinating destinations but different as night and day.

For a nerdy type, Greece and its ancient history would be fascinating. The islands are gorgeous with just as much natural beauty as Alaska, just a different type. While the port towns can be crowded, it is easy to go off on your own and explore the less crowded parts of the islands.

Take a look at my October 2014 picture blog (link in my signature) for ideas on what some of these Greek Island ports look like. We visited Rhodes, Patmos, and Nafplion (not an island but a city on the Peloponnese where there is a ton of history). Athens is also a wonderful place to visit if you like history; their new Parthenon Museum is great and the ancient sites can all be visited in a (busy) day. Most Greek Island cruises also visit Kusadasi, which is the port where you can visit Ephesus, another must-see.

This is like choosing between red wine and white wine. Or between chocolate cake and creme brulée. Do you want fascinating ancient history, or the beautiful wild frontier? Both are great.

PS there is plenty of hiking on the Greek Islands. There are many places to walk in Rhodes, there is a castle to climb to in Nafplion, you can climb to the town in Santorini, you can climb the hill to the monastery in Patmos, and you can walk all over Athens if you want.

I have been to both multiple times and with my adult sons. We too are a bit nerdy, but like to hike and explore nature too. I love Alaska, so much that we are going there twice this summer, once with my son and daughter in law and her parents on Oceania, then later on Silversea Explorer, very different types of trips.

But in this case, I would probably vote for Greece. One of my favorite memories is riding in a Jeep in Corfu with my son driving right after he got out of the Marine Corps. The gears didn’t work, and we kept stalling out. I was laughing so hard. And the food and wine in Greece is so wonderful.

Anyway, whichever you chose, it will be a great trip. Traveling with my adult children is one of my favorite things to do.

• 1 month later...

Thank you, all, for your guidance and advice back in January. We've made our decision: the Muse in Alaska. I was able to book it onboard last week for an extra 5% savings, and now we're researching our pre-cruise adventure in Denali and a post-cruise stay in Vancouver. She is my favorite travel companion, and we are looking forward to enjoying Alaska's delights while also savoring the SS experience.

Then we're pretty sure we'll go to Greece some other year ... so, those of you who voted for BOTH should know that we listened :-)