Husbands clothes

cruisinreunion

ok, so my husband is a good sport and wears all the Hawaiian type shirts the kids have bought him over the years for his cruises. We have always cruised the Caribbean so on casual nights he’d wear a different shirt with dockers

This year we are going on a transatlantic to Northern Europe and I realized he really doesn’t have many collared shirts other than his cruise shirts. Will people wear those shirts on a transatlantic cruise or should I get him a few plain polo and button downs to wear with his dockers?

Yes--get some solid colored polo and button-downs. Maybe take one Aloha shirt but don't wear that in Europe!

Check the average temperature for your ports and you may need more long sleeve vs. short sleeve.

Get conservative colors for wear in Europe---not bright colors or patterns.

The one TA that I was privileged to take was an April sailing. It was almost 2 cruises in a row...one in the Caribbean over DS' Spring Break and then the TA with my parents. Especially after the Caribbean cruise...the TA was cold. Surprisingly cold. I completely underestimated how cold the Atlantic still was at that time of year. Now, when we arrived in Spain...the weather was gorgeous and warm...but IIRC there were days of highs in the low 60s on the ocean. I just remember how everyone was freezing in the solarium...and everyone had 2-4 towels because they were using them as blankets...

So for that alone, I would double check your wardrobe to be sure you have some cool/cold weather appropriate clothing.

Also...on our sailing, I was extremely surprised by how few Americans were on the ship. In retrospect, it makes total sense...I don't recall the exact % of I believe the Americans were NOT in a majority on the ship. I recall how I would hear so many different languages as I walked around. Now, granted, this was a somewhat special sailing, as it was the Allure making a very rare TA to go into dry dock, so maybe the passengers weren't typical.

Anyway, I've never been on a ship that was so stylish in the evenings. Every evening. Stylish, not necessarily formal. The ship dressed up as if to go out on the town every night. As always, there was a mix, but by and large...it wasn't a group of passengers that made a concession to a dress code in the dining room...it was a group of people who felt very urban...and wearing what they would wear in their home urban setting to hit the town for the evening.

Now as to whether or not you should have some polos and plain button downs...I would answer that you should have something other than the Hawaiian prints for evenings on the ship. I would argue that you could find some stylish prints and don't need to have "plain" clothing. Still have something fun...if your husband is that way and enjoys clothes. And definitely bring a few of his favorites for the ship...but if you plan on wearing them in Europe, do a bit of research on that. Hawaiian shirts were actually on trend last year, and I was reading that if anyone had some of the more toned down versions, to keep them for this spring. Here's a bit of advice on how to wear the Hawaiian shirt trend according to GQ:

https://www.gq.com/story/what-to-wear-with-hawaiian-shirts

Anita Latte, you took the words out of my mouth....or maybe phrased it even better. We have been on three April TAs, and they were all the best-dressed/most stylish groups of passengers of any of our cruises.

I don't think I saw any Hawaiian shirts except around the pool, and few if any short sleeve shirts in the evening. That's not to say the men could not be colorful. There were definitely some colorful but stylish blazers and shirts aboard.

And the chill factor is quite true. Even for Zumba out on pool deck, we all wore two or three layers. It's the wind.

The TAs can be very chilly especially when heading north rather than to the Med. Maybe get a more neutral color half zip to go over 1 or 2 of his Hawaiian shirts? My husband wound up wearing his navy jacket to more dinners then he had planned on one because it was chilly. On another headed to Rome we had great weather the entire way. We both pack a few long sleeves on fringe season trips.