Considering Azamara and a few questions

Caroldoll

Do they have Butlers

Is there a charge for the specialty restaurants?

Is it only wine and beer included or also alcohol?

If one needs a liquor package, how much is it?

We generally cruise Regent, Crystal or Oceania and if anyone has any comments regarding the good parts of Azamara, I would appreciate it.

If you are in a suite, you have a butler and do not pay extra for specialty restaurants. Believe a limited choice of wine, beer and spirits are included in package..have never done liquor package so don’t have that info.

The common areas are beautifully appointed and I believe both the Quest and Journey were refurbished in 2016. I have not sailed on the lines you mentioned so have no frame of reference for comparison . SilverSea was my most recent trip (Barbados to Barbados , Dec23-30, 2017) and it was too small with minimal evening activity for my personal taste. Azamara has a very elegant feel with amazing service as its standout feature , yet its still “homey” if that makes sense. I was on the Quest when it was still owned by Renaissance and fell in love with it back then! They offer lots of activities/demonstrations so it’s hard NOT to find something that may be of interest...I’m certainly not an expert but have thoroughly enjoyed every sailing with Azamara to date. Am particularly excited about my upcoming 10 day Cuba intensive cruise, departing Miami on March 9[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Re: Beverage Packages. The complimentary beverages and details of beverage packages can be found on the Azamara website:

Booked>Onboard packages> Experience More Packages > (Link) Premium beverage package > Complimentary Packages (Link Learn More)

If you are not in a suite the speciality restaurants are $30 a head, but there are good packages that you can buy. https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/sites/default/files/pdfs/specialty_dining_flyer_070516.pdf

The included drinks are cocktails, spirits, wine and beer, but only certain ones. Here is a link to the list of included drinks https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/booked-guests/onboard-packages/complimentary-beverages

You can also buy upgraded drinks packages https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/booked-guests/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

We have never felt the need to buy any drinks outside those that are included. If you don’t like any of the day’s wine offerings, you can always ask if they have any left from a previous day, and they will usually manage to find it for you.

If you are in a suite you will get 4 half bottles of spirits in your suite, otherwise you don’t get any free alcohol in your cabin. You have a fridge and any soft drinks in it are included (and you can ask your stateroom attendant to make sure you have whatever ones you want) but any alcohol in your fridge is charged, as is any alcohol that you ask for from room service, of course you can get a drink from the nearest bar and take it to your cabin.

Hope this is helpful - happy to try and answer any other questions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are holding an Owners Suite. Will the specialty restaurants be included for that suite?

You are right, the standard spirits are quite enough. Don't feel that anything extra is necessary.

I do understand now that there are Butlers in the Owners Suite.

I have heard many nice comments about Azamara. I think we will be trying it. The cost is amazing, really.

You have all been so helpful.

Yes specialty restaurants included for the Owners Suite, and you will also be invited to several VIP events including the "Best of the Best" dinner with the Captain. The main dining room food is very good too, as is the buffet (which has a special theme every night -- e.g. Indian food one night).

I've cruised Crystal, Regent, and Azamara in suites with butlers. My Azamara butlers have been excellent - on the same level as Crystal. On the other hand, the Regent butlers have been dismal.

I'm a foodie and was quite happy with both the food in Aqualina and Prime C and the specialty buffets in Windows Cafe. The Indian buffet in Windows is quite authentic.

I've cruised Crystal, Regent, and Azamara in suites with butlers. My Azamara butlers have been excellent - on the same level as Crystal. On the other hand, the Regent butlers have been dismal.

I'm a foodie and was quite happy with both the food in Aqualina and Prime C and the specialty buffets in Windows Cafe. The Indian buffet in Windows is quite authentic.

How about the main dining room?

Did you like it?

JMO.....not our favorite.

We always enjoy the food in Discoveries (MDR). One interesting thing about the menu is that there are always 2 specials which are not on the menu. One is the day’s chef’s special and the other is related to the destination. There are also certain dishes that are on the menu every day - prawn cocktail, Escargots, French onion soup, Caesar salad, striploin steak, cheicken, salmon.

We only tried the main dining room a few times. It wasn't memorable but it wasn't horrible either. We preferred the Windows specialty night buffets when we weren't dining in either Aqualina or Prime C.

It's actually one of the things I like about Azamara that you aren't tied to eating in one place. I've been on some cruises where I haven't eaten in the MDR at all. By the time I do a couple of the Specialties, eat at The Patio, do White Night, go to the Azamazing evening and enjoy perhaps curry night at Windows sitting outside the cruise is nearly over!

Phil

Just a quick note about booking the speciality restaurants. You need to book tables for them, unlike in Discoveries (MDR). Your butler will be able to book times for you.

Wish you were on this cruise with us, Grandma❤️

If you are traveling by yourself, is it possible to eat at specialty restaurants with others?

Wish you were on this cruise with us, Grandma❤️

If you are traveling by yourself, is it possible to eat at specialty restaurants with others?

Which cruise are you on? I have 2 booked - Quest July 7 2018 & Journey July 1 2019!

There are no longer sharing tables in the speciality restaurant, but you and any one you have got talking to can book a table together.

There is also usually a ‘solos’ shared table in Discoveries. This is advertised in the daily newsletter ‘Insider’. If you got chatting to people there, you could book a table together in one of the speciality restaurants.

Which cruise are you on? I have 2 booked - Quest July 7 2018 & Journey July 1 2019!

There are no longer sharing tables in the speciality restaurant, but you and any one you have got talking to can book a table together.

There is also usually a ‘solos’ shared table in Discoveries. This is advertised in the daily newsletter ‘Insider’. If you got chatting to people there, you could book a table together in one of the speciality restaurants.

Grandma

That is an awesome idea. I am doing that with one of the ladies on one of my hosted tours who is a solo like me.

Good advice.

Kathy

• 3 weeks later...

Wholehearted agree as our butler on Azamara was the absolute best we have ever had. We gave him a present upon boarding and he returned the favor by giving DW an eagle eye pendant from his country of origin.

If you're interested in comparisons between Azamara, Crystal,Regent, and Oceania, I posted my review of my March 8 trip on Oceania Riviera on the Oceania board today.

I found your Oceania Riviera review's company comparisons very interesting and helpful.

It was concerning to read that unlike Oceania, where staff serve the buffet food, Azamara buffet guests handle the serving utensils in common. Maybe Azamara management will read this and make a change?

Staff serve the buffet food for the first 24 hours, or until the ship’s doctor assures the captain that there are no cases of gastro-intestinal infection on board. Also if there are any cases later in the cruise, as we had on our last cruise after docking in Egypt, the buffet goes back to staff service. There are hand sanitiser machines at both entries to the buffet, and a member of staff making sure everyone uses them. Also at the bottom of the gangplank at each port, and again a member of the crew making sure you use it before you come on board.

I found your Oceania Riviera review's company comparisons very interesting and helpful.

It was concerning to read that unlike Oceania, where staff serve the buffet food, Azamara buffet guests handle the serving utensils in common. Maybe Azamara management will read this and make a change?

I sure hope not.

My main negatives that I didn't care for on Azamara was the very dated cabin interiors (which were fortunately updated in the past few years) and the self-service buffet. Is there a way to take a survey to see how many would like self-serve vs. staff served?