Live from RSSC Mariner - Rio to Barcelona

Juno56

Looks like we all survived Rio and we've been having a great cruise! The Mariner is as beautiful as ever and everything is top notch.

We're in Recife today. It's in the 80s and partly cloudy. Tonight we set sail for Cape Verde. Looking forward to four days at sea.

I am on this Mariner cruise as well and if the OP will allow I’ll chip in as well.

I saw no sign of military in Rio, but I did see what I would consider a normal police presence. We stayed at the Windsor Excelsior, facing Copacabana beach. Very nice hotel if a bit dated. Awesome staff, very clean, wonderful breakfast buffet, I do recommend it.

We used a wonderful tour guide named Gus, found him on TA. He took us to Cristo, Sugarloaf, the Seleron Steps and several other drops.

As Juno said, Mariner is in great shape, the crew is amazing, always willing to help and make our trip perfect. So far the food has been wonderful!

So glad that you are posting and that you survived Rio. What hotel did you stay in and I'm curious about the police presence in the area.

Looking forward to reading about your adventures!

We stayed at the PortBay Rio Internacional, where we had stayed in 2013. The hotel faces Copacabana Beach and has a great breakfast buffet and pool/rooftop bar on the 20th floor.

We randomly saw police in the Copacabana area, but none in Santa Teresa or Lapa. We never felt unsafe, even when walking along the beach sidewalk at midnight in Copacabana.

No need to be intimidated. Just use common travel sense and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

We are also on this cruise and had 3 nights in Rio before boarding the ship. What Juno56 has described is exactly our experience as well. If you follow the usual safety measures you would take anywhere you will be fine (e.g., no expensive watches, cameras or jewelry on display, stay out of the favalas, and be aware of what’s going on around you). We felt safe everywhere we went regardless of the time of day and really enjoyed Rio.

We were on the BA to Rio Mariner cruise and echo the experiences of other posters. Rio was great, went to all the top tourist sights and also ventured further afield to Niteroi without problems. Obviously take care, but not only did we not experience problems we did not hear of any other fellow Regent cruisers having any sort of issues.

We were on the BA to Rio Mariner cruise and echo the experiences of other posters. Rio was great, went to all the top tourist sights and also ventured further afield to Niteroi without problems. Obviously take care, but not only did we not experience problems we did not hear of any other fellow Regent cruisers having any sort of issues.

I'm so glad to hear that, having been in Rio and loved it more than a decade ago!

Juno56, frankdp, Tucruisers, and Carnevale - Thank you enormously for reassuring us that one of our favorite cities in the world, Rio, the "Cidade Maravilhosa" (Marvelous City), remains so. There are certain posters on this board who appear to be determined to discourage people from visiting that amazing city. Nonetheless, according to a friend of ours who is a well-known (on CC) guide in Rio, the city may be visited in complete safety if common sense precautions are taken. (Of course, he may be somewhat biased in his advice, considering his occupation. ;) )

Cariocas have a delightful saying regarding Rio's spectacular setting: Paris is the most beautiful city designed by man; Rio is the most beautiful city designed by God.

Wendy, BTW, we had our wonderful Rio experience with you in December, 2009, thus just a bit more than 8 years ago, rather than "more than a decade". :p

Despite (or maybe because of) "fake news", after our first visit to Rio - being paranoid much of the time (the only place in the world that we have visited thus far where we felt that way) we realized that one visit is enough. Rio of 10 years ago (or 8 - depending upon which is correct) is not the Rio of today. We were there right before the World Cup and the entire city was torn up..... rail lines were being installed. On the positive side, graffiti was no longer visible from the main road (but buildings a couple of blocks away were still covered it).

However, as long as you remove jewelry, rings (even wedding rings) and watches (if your watch even looks expensive it can be a target), you will likely be fine. Still hoping that we will not return there again - ever. We will be in South America again next year but will not be stopping in Rio!

Wendy, BTW, we had our wonderful Rio experience with you in December, 2009, thus just a bit more than 8 years ago, rather than "more than a decade". :p

Oops, sorry Fred, the years are just all flowing together! And btw, I did not remove my wedding ring, but didn't wear any other expensive jewellery, including a watch.

We did not remove our wedding rings either and never will and they don’t atttract attention. We have cheap watches when we go into areas that are questionable and nobody would want them. We have been to Rio six times and never have had a problem but we stay close to the Copacabana area during the day at night we we either stay on the ship or take a radio taxi to and from the hotel.

It’s a shame that some people cast a bad view on such a beautiful vibrant city. Crime happens in NYC and now Harlem has become a popular tourist attraction filled with restaurants and jazz clubs. At one time nobody would go there.

Bottom line is just use common sense no matter where you are in the world.

Regent gives warnings out to passengers and one of the suggestions is to remove wedding rings. I am only repeating what Regent recommends. The only place in the world where I have seen this suggestion from Regent is Brazil (Rio and Manaus).

Regent gives warnings out to passengers and one of the suggestions is to remove wedding rings. I am only repeating what Regent recommends. The only place in the world where I have seen this suggestion from Regent is Brazil (Rio and Manaus).

Sorry to disagree with you having had work in Rio for a major bank and cruised as well there, most Regent guests are well traveled and know what to wear or not take with them.

We will never remove our wedding rings and believe it or not many Brazilians are very wealthy and sport it openly in the Copacabana area. Your information is a little scary for those wanting to visit one of the most beautiful places.

Sorry to disagree with you having had work in Rio for a major bank and cruised as well there, most Regent guests are well traveled and know what to wear or not take with them.

We will never remove our wedding rings and believe it or not many Brazilians are very wealthy and sport it openly in the Copacabana area. Your information is a little scary for those wanting to visit one of the most beautiful places.

You are actually disagreeing with Regent - not me. I am only the messenger. Please don't shoot me:halo:

TC, Regent's advice is spot-on.

I am actually surprised that the would not give similar advice in about 10 other cities that I can think of including Buenos Aires and Naples just to name a couple and I would remind people that all wedding rings are not the same in terms of their value. When in doubt I place safety above all else and you have nothing to lose to error on the side of caution. Better to be safe then sorry.

I would advise others the same thing.

When visiting Rio this is one of a number of places around the world that I would say leave your valuables in your hotel or on board the ship. You are best not to attract the attention of others who may wish to commit a crime.

This advice was given to me many years ago when I traveled to Rio on business several times by the locals who took us around this beautiful city.

Yes, it is a beautiful city but that doesn't mean that it does not have issues.

Keith

Juno56, I too would love to hear more about your cruise. We board following refurbishment and would particularly like to find out which crew are onboard currently and staying on for the Transatlantic back to the States. Thanks for any info you can share.

Juno56, I too would love to hear more about your cruise. We board following refurbishment and would particularly like to find out which crew are onboard currently and staying on for the Transatlantic back to the States. Thanks for any info you can share.

I second this request as we are taking this TA also. Thank you.