Laundry Question

gjkov

I have looked at all recent threads about laundry and Regent website FAQ can’t find the answer to this...

Is purchased laundry (for those who don’t have it included) only by piece, or can a person purchase a “bag of laundry” for a set price? As the designated laundry mistress in the family (home or away), I’m not really opposed to doing our own laundry, but what a treat to have it done for us!

Also, do people think the laundry rooms on Mariner will be changed/enhanced in some way during the refurbishment?

From what I can tell, the majority of passengers on Regent do their own laundry (or at least some of their own laundry). This is based on how crowded the laundry rooms are. People are lugging laundry from one deck to another looking for available machines.

In my opinion, it would take at least two Cosmos or a bottle of champagne to put up with some of the people hanging out in the laundry rooms. It seems to turn guests into monsters when they enter the room. Passengers take laundry out of the washer or dryer if you are 30 seconds late getting back to pick up your stuff. While this doesn't sound that bad, they sometimes leave a few items in the machine and they end up lost or in someone else's suite. We are happy that we haven't done laundry on a ship in years but occasionally go in there to use the iron - only for a quick touch-up.

Unless things have changed after the refurbishments, there is laundry detergent dispenser but no fabric softener.

From what I can tell, the majority of passengers on Regent do their own laundry (or at least some of their own laundry). This is based on how crowded the laundry rooms are. People are lugging laundry from one deck to another looking for available machines.

In my opinion, it would take at least two Cosmos or a bottle of champagne to put up with some of the people hanging out in the laundry rooms. It seems to turn guests into monsters when they enter the room. Passengers take laundry out of the washer or dryer if you are 30 seconds late getting back to pick up your stuff. While this doesn't sound that bad, they sometimes leave a few items in the machine and they end up lost or in someone else's suite. We are happy that we haven't done laundry on a ship in years but occasionally go in there to use the iron - only for a quick touch-up.

Unless things have changed after the refurbishments, there is laundry detergent dispenser but no fabric softener.

The "laundry people" are not all monsters, TC! I've made some good friends hanging around the laundry room:p:p:p;););)

The "laundry people" are not all monsters, TC! I've made some good friends hanging around the laundry room:p:p:p;););)

Maybe they seemed that way because I was sober (not implying that you weren't)*. I do like their washing machines - just don't like waiting.

*Just learned that you can't use more than 6 images in your post and they counted the six that you used. I posted the halo image and received an error message -- had to remove it. Learn something new every day.

We recently spent 63 nights on the Voyager and I did laundry a number of times. I never observed any bad behaviors, as a matter of fact, some nice conversations while waiting for a load to finish. We never had an issue getting a machine, maybe just good timing. When we do eventually qualify for free laundry on Regent I will be more than willing to send everyday items to the laundry, but would continue to do my own for things I might be concerned about. I did bring my own dryer sheets so that was not a problem.

Fortunately, we have free laundry service.

But until we gained that status, I did our laundry in the laundry room. I avoided hours when the room is crowded. I would go on a sea day around lunch time. If I had to wait, I took a book and read until it was my turn. I would put the wash in and time it, so I was back 5 minutes before it was done. Put it in the dryer and off I want again, until 5 minutes before it finished. Washed once a week. Not a big deal.

But, it's so nice now, that I hand the laundry bag to the butler and get it back so beautifully wrapped. I always make sure I use the service two days before disembarkation so I bring home the clean wrapped clothes and it's just delightful to unpack.

Sheila

My wife thinks that the best tip we've gotten from this board is that room service will deliver to the laundry rooms. She had them bring her a Cosmopolitan while she was doing laundry, and actually had a fun time.

Thanks for the chuckle and the idea! We've exclusively used room service for breakfasts before early excursions. Clearly, we need to brainstorm some other uses.

As I've said before, all the more reason for Regent to offer a reasonably priced laundry package. Unfortunately the per piece price currently offered makes it hard to justify the cost, no matter how expensive the rest of the cruise is. I'm a big fan of Regent, but this is one area that I believe needs to be improved upon to bring it in line with other luxury cruise lines (Seabourn and Silversea).

As I've said before, all the more reason for Regent to offer a reasonably priced laundry package. Unfortunately the per piece price currently offered makes it hard to justify the cost, no matter how expensive the rest of the cruise is. I'm a big fan of Regent, but this is one area that I believe needs to be improved upon to bring it in line with other luxury cruise lines (Seabourn and Silversea).

Could you provide a copy of a priceless from either Seabourn or Silversea. Even a comparison of blouses, slacks and dress shirts would be helpful.

On Silversea, all Silver Suites received free laundry and dry cleaning. A Silver Suite would be comparable in accommodation level to a Seven Seas Suite on Regent I believe. On Seabourn, there is a $50 charge per bag (whatever you can fit into the bag they will do). For both Silversea and Seabourn the laundry turn around time is 24-36 hours and the garments come back beautifully pressed and wrapped. In the absence of free laundry for a certain category of suite on Regent, I believe there should be at least a reasonable package price on offer.

We were on the Mariner a year ago, and the only comment I might have about the laundry rooms is that more machines need to be added. The rooms are large enough to accommodate more machines, which would help lessen the crowding that sometimes occurs on sea days.

Anyone with Gold status card on Regent gets a free bag of Laundry a week done

Personally i prefer to do my own and still will even when i acheive Platinum status

Theres usually a machine free and a dryer even if you have to wait a few minutes

Quite why folk make such a fuss is beyond me .....i just ensure all underwear etc is white/light colour along with other stuff that can all go together in one wash without colour run and then i do not have to spend my life in the laundry

Anyone with Gold status card on Regent gets a free bag of Laundry a week done

Personally i prefer to do my own and still will even when i acheive Platinum status

Theres usually a machine free and a dryer even if you have to wait a few minutes

Quite why folk make such a fuss is beyond me .....i just ensure all underwear etc is white/light colour along with other stuff that can all go together in one wash without colour run and then i do not have to spend my life in the laundry

I also prefer to my own. At home I hang dry most of my clothes and I cannot expect Regent to do this. Our free bag (we are gold) only has my underwear and socks but my husband fills it with his clothes.

I don't mind the washing but I detest the ironing, so my husband's shirts go in the laundry bag, and this ole bag does the rest. We usually try to book a suite near the laundrette so I can scope out empty machines. I have met a lot of fun people including several men (ex-military) who can iron far better than I can. Love the room service idea.

I don't mind the washing but I detest the ironing, so my husband's shirts go in the laundry bag, and this ole bag does the rest. We usually try to book a suite near the laundrette so I can scope out empty machines. I have met a lot of fun people including several men (ex-military) who can iron far better than I can. Love the room service idea.

Brooks Brothers have great no iron men’s dress shirts. I absolutely do not iron my husband’s shirts anymore. Either no iron or go to laundry.

Brooks Brothers have great no iron men’s dress shirts. I absolutely do not iron my husband’s shirts anymore. Either no iron or go to laundry.

Completely concur. With teenage boys, they have been a god send! They stay neat and since I really hate to iron, it makes my life so much easier especially on the mornings of their school jacket and tie days (which they always somehow forget until the morning)!

If you wash the clothes and the shirts, for instance, need ironing, send them it for "ironing only" (much less expensive). My DH won't wear no iron dress shirts and they come out of the suitcase wrinkled. I send his dress shirts in to be ironed as soon as we get onboard. Not expensive at all.