Long Beach or San Pedro?

mickrory

Hi

We've just booked a cruise in January 2019 sailing on HAL Amsterdam out of Los Angeles. I'm looking for a hotel near the cruise terminal for a pre cruise stay but I'm not clear from the booking if this ship sails out of Long Beach or San Pedro.

Can any seasoned HAL cruisers help me out here?

Many thanks

San Pedro Berth 46 (Outer Harbor) not the World Cruise Center. Berth 46 is about 2 miles to the south.

https://www.portoflosangeles.org/pdf/POLA_Terminals_Map.pdf

EDIT: correction ... I just realized you said 2019, not 2018. I don't think the berths are assigned yet for 2019.

https://www.portsamerica.com/cruise/los-angeles-terminal.html

Edited by catl331

If it out of San Pedro, which most likely is, we uselly stay at the Hilton Gardens, which was remodeled 2 years ago and is enjoyable and close taxi or hotel shuttle ride to ship. Great place if you want to for visit the battle ship moored next to cruise ship terminal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi

We've just booked a cruise in January 2019 sailing on HAL Amsterdam out of Los Angeles. I'm looking for a hotel near the cruise terminal for a pre cruise stay but I'm not clear from the booking if this ship sails out of Long Beach or San Pedro.

Many thanks

Port of Los Angeles is located in San Pedro, CA.

Hi

Many thanks

Long Beach has one cruise ship berth. If there's a Carnival ship in town that day, she'll get that berth. In San Pedro (Port of L.A.), there are currently three cruise ship berths; you'll either be at #92 or #93 adjacent to the Vincent Thomas Bridge and the Catalina Island ferry terminal or, if those two are taken, at remote berth #46

• 2 weeks later...

Copper10-8, you mention that there's just one berth at Long Beach, and that Carnival has priority. I'll be on the Grand Asia, which arrives in Los Angeles on Dec. 21. I'm trying to figure out whether I'd be able to make it to Amtrak for a morning train, and when I called HAL the representative said that Amsterdam would be arriving in Long Beach. Is that sure for sure - i.e. we already know that Carnival will not be using the berth at that time? Thanks in advance!

Copper10-8, you mention that there's just one berth at Long Beach, and that Carnival has priority. I'll be on the Grand Asia, which arrives in Los Angeles on Dec. 21. I'm trying to figure out whether I'd be able to make it to Amtrak for a morning train, and when I called HAL the representative said that Amsterdam would be arriving in Long Beach. Is that sure for sure - i.e. we already know that Carnival will not be using the berth at that time? Thanks in advance!

Dec. 21 2018? Carnival Inspiration is turning around in Long Beach that day.

Here is the LA schedule for this year. I found only one time that a non-Carnival ship is on the Long Beach schedule: Grand Princess May 1. Strange because no one is scheduled for San Pedro that day. Perhaps it's a port call instead of destination.

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/losangelesschedule2018.html

EM

Edited by Essiesmom

The distance from San Pedro terminal to Amtrak Union Station is the same as Long Beach port to there. Give yourself at least 3 hours if using public transportation... Uber, taxi, shuttle would be about 2 hours once you are off the ship and through customs. If you are going south toward San Diego, Amtrak frequency is just about hourly. Going north, there is only train daily and several connecting bus routes to the San Joaquin Valley line.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

Hi

Many thanks

"Not clear", indeed. :rolleyes: But it will be some berth that the Port of LA operates, not

over by the Queen Mary in the Port of Long Beach. It is unlikely to dock down at

Berth #46 (like she does in Dec '18), because LA only uses that one when they

have three ships docking that day and can't shoehorn one of them into Berth #91.

So... Since there are (as of now) only two cruise ships in Port of LA that day, it's

--uhm-- highly likely she will be at the World Cruise Terminal in San Pedro, and

probably in Berth #93 since the Silver Spirit is so much smaller.

When we cruise from the WCT, we stay at the Crowne Plaza since they have a

package that includes parking our car for the duration. Nice place (7.8 / Trivago)

with a shuttle to and from the WCT, and close enough to schlep with luggage if

Mr Murphy shows up with his Law. Our TA also speaks highly of the DoubleTree

and its WCT shuttles.

Long Beach has one cruise ship berth. If there's a Carnival ship in town that day, she'll get that berth. In San Pedro (Port of L.A.), there are currently three cruise ship berths; you'll either be at #92 or #93 adjacent to the Vincent Thomas Bridge and the Catalina Island ferry terminal or, if those two are taken, at remote berth #46

I'll be sailing the Amsterdam Grand Asia cruise, arriving back in Los Angeles on Friday, Dec. 21, 2018. From what I'm reading here, the ship will be arriving at the San Pedro terminal. How far is this from LAX? My flight leaves LAX at 12 Noon. With what I hear about traffic and it also being the weekend before Christmas (more traffic), I'm concerned about getting to the airport in time.

I'm hoping to be one of the early groups off the ship as we will have gone thru customs (hopefully) in Hawaii and my luggage will be shipped back home so I'll just disembark with a carry on.

Thank you,

Gloria

I'll be sailing the Amsterdam Grand Asia cruise, arriving back in Los Angeles on Friday, Dec. 21, 2018. From what I'm reading here, the ship will be arriving at the San Pedro terminal. How far is this from LAX? My flight leaves LAX at 12 Noon. With what I hear about traffic and it also being the weekend before Christmas (more traffic), I'm concerned about getting to the airport in time.

I'm hoping to be one of the early groups off the ship as we will have gone thru customs (hopefully) in Hawaii and my luggage will be shipped back home so I'll just disembark with a carry on.

Thank you,

Gloria

I'd be nervous, too. That cruise has been discussed in another thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2562279

Bottom line: You're not docking at either the Port of Long Beach's

Carnival Terminal, or San Pedro's World Cruise Terminal, but at

a seldom-used Outer LA Harbor berth (Berth #46), 2½ miles

south of the WCT.

Hat tip to DAllenTCY for maps and photo of the dock:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55564241&postcount=33

Remember, LAX recommends getting there at 10am for a noon

domestic flight, and 9am for international. I'm a pessimist. I'd find

another flight. :o

Thank you,

Gloria

Having sailed in and out of LA pier in Dan Pedro I’d recommend using The cruise lines transfer service. The. You tell them time of your flight. Would recommend afternoon flight too. You never know if it’s foggy ship arrives little late. Using there transfers will give you earlier off the ship time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I too wish my flight were later but since I'm flying to the East coast, my choice of flight times is limited to the noon flight, red eye, or stay overnight in LA and take an earlier morning flight. Although I did not book my air thru Holland America, this is the flight they were offering.

Thank you for the suggestion to use the cruise line transfer service but do you think using uber or a taxi would get me to my airport terminal quicker?

I am not familiar with the Los Angeles area. I only utilized LAX one time about 9 years ago for a flight to New Zealand and I remember how huge the airport was.

I too wish my flight were later but since I'm flying to the East coast, my choice of flight times is limited to the noon flight, red eye, or stay overnight in LA and take an earlier morning flight. Although I did not book my air thru Holland America, this is the flight they were offering.

Thank you for the suggestion to use the cruise line transfer service but do you think using uber or a taxi would get me to my airport terminal quicker?

I am not familiar with the Los Angeles area. I only utilized LAX one time about 9 years ago for a flight to New Zealand and I remember how huge the airport was.

HAL is using that same flight?

If HAL will sell you a transfer after you tell them the flight and it's clear you're

talking about debarkation day, I'd buy a transfer and make It HAL's problem.

(And wonder how they'll pull it off, and where they'll put you up if they don't)

The distance from the pier to Los Angeles International Airport is 30 miles. Normal transit time for taxi, shuttle, Uber, etc. is 45-50 minutes.

Holland America transfers are obligated to get you to the airport ...with no guarantee of when. Normally 56-seat coaches are used, and it is common for them to carry at least 1/2 of that number for efficiency. They also will make multiple stops at LAX which as 7 different terminals.

Had you purchased your flight and transfers through HAL, then the cruise line would be picking up additional fees if you missed your flight. That is not the case with an airport transfer only.

David

P.S. I would be very comfortable with a flight at noon.

HAL is using that same flight?

If HAL will sell you a transfer after you tell them the flight and it's clear you're

talking about debarkation day, I'd buy a transfer and make It HAL's problem.

(And wonder how they'll pull it off, and where they'll put you up if they don't)

Yes, at the time I booked my flight (Dec.), Hal was using that flight. I wanted to book with them but they were only offering economy seating and that was not going to work for me.

Unfortunately if I did not book the air thru them, using their airport transfer only gives me a ride to the airport with no guarantee or help if I miss my flight.

The distance from the pier to Los Angeles International Airport is 30 miles. Normal transit time for taxi, shuttle, Uber, etc. is 45-50 minutes.

Holland America transfers are obligated to get you to the airport ...with no guarantee of when. Normally 56-seat coaches are used, and it is common for them to carry at least 1/2 of that number for efficiency. They also will make multiple stops at LAX which as 7 different terminals.

Had you purchased your flight and transfers through HAL, then the cruise line would be picking up additional fees if you missed your flight. That is not the case with an airport transfer only.

David

Thank you David.

I used Holland America's airport transfer last November for the first time and was impressed with how smoothly it went. Within 5 minutes of boarding the bus at the port, the bus (half full) left for the airport. Unfortunately a friend who was on the same ship got on the next transfer bus and waited about 40 minutes before the bus departed. So it seems there is no assurance of how long a wait till the bus departs and then there is the additional time spent with the bus stopping at various airport terminals till you get to yours. Unfortunately with this trip I don't have the luxury of a lot of time on the day I get back.

It's apparent that reserving a taxi or private shuttle is going to be my best option.

Wish me luck!

Gloria

Forgot to add one other important fact.. if you sign up to use the cruise line shuttle to the airport, your acceptance is determined by the airline. If they feel the shuttle can get you there in time for your flight, then you are accepted.

I tried to use the shuttle in Dec. 2016 and was turned down because my flight was leaving at 11:26 AM. Last November my flight was departing at 11:45 AM and I was able to use the shuttle. Both incidents were at the Fort Lauderdale airport - much smaller than LAX.

Thank you David.

I used Holland America's airport transfer last November for the first time and was impressed with how smoothly it went. Within 5 minutes of boarding the bus at the port, the bus (half full) left for the airport. Unfortunately a friend who was on the same ship got on the next transfer bus and waited about 40 minutes before the bus departed. So it seems there is no assurance of how long a wait till the bus departs and then there is the additional time spent with the bus stopping at various airport terminals till you get to yours. Unfortunately with this trip I don't have the luxury of a lot of time on the day I get back.

It's apparent that reserving a taxi or private shuttle is going to be my best option.

Wish me luck!

Gloria

Indeed... Good luck! :)

I'd be worried about fog, overloaded ICE staff with 4 ships in LA/LB, the extra

travel time through San Pedro's streets, or even the driver thinking "they must

mean the World Cruise Terminal" when he goes to pick you up.

But, then, I a worrier. Be sure to have a Plan 'B'.

Update - this afternoon I was able to change my reservation to a flight leaving at 1 PM.

I feel a lot better with this departure time but still plan on getting to the airport as early as possible.

Thank you all for your feedback, it was greatly appreciated.

Gloria

David

That is no consolation, however, if the later flights are abysmal, i.e. arrives at your home destination the next day. We have decided to take a limo from Berth 46. Can cabs and limos get close to that point?