Scooter/Motorcycle Rental on Caribbean Cruise??

Would you rent a scooter in Roatan or Cozumel?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rent a scooter in Roatan or Cozumel?

• Only Roatan
    • Only Cozumel
    • Never from either
    • Only from a highly reputable source

varios-cozumel-sombrero-014.jpg

My husband and I have fond memories of cruising around Thailand on a motorcycle when we were engaged and now that we're headed to the Caribbean this summer I really want to relive that fun! My husband grew up in Thailand and drove motorcycles and scooters long before he ever drove a car so I'm confident in his driving skills (I plan to ride on the back). Any suggestions about reputable places to rent from in Cozumel or Roatan?? (We have excursion plans in Belize and Grand Cayman already) Our cruise is in June- Should we reserve online or just walk up when we get to the port?? I know weather can be an issue, and I don't think we would be comfortable (or happy) driving a scooter in the rain. Also for those who have rented before do you have to drive it the whole time its rented or can you park it somewhere and go to the beach/restaurant/Mayan ruins? Wondering about likelihood of someone stealing it... This is a large question that keeps going on- but I look forward to hearing your honest replies!

• 2 weeks later...

We rented scooters in Cozumel it was the best day

We went around the whole island and stopped in many different views and locations

There is rental shops right on the island and was easy to do

You can rent a jeep on Cozumel. From Avis, I think. It's at the end of the pier. $100 for the day; split with another couple. On the back of the rental agreement was a coupon to their major tourist beach with free catamarans, clamshells, boogie boards, etc. It brought the cost to about what we would have paid just for the beach club.

Cozumel has Harley rentals. Scooter rentals also. Check the port of call forum for Cozumel or use TripAdvisor. Google would help too. We would not rent a scooter or motorcycle in Roatan. It is a lot more sketchy there. Get a Victor Bodden or other private tour for the day. Very very reasonable & yours to go where you want for the day!