OACIS. Off Airport Check In Solutions. Sydney Cruise Terminals Virgin Flights

The above company is offering their services for Virgin flights, enabling you to offload your luggage and book in at the cruise terminals after disembarking. This allows you the freedom to spend the day in Sydney without carting your luggage around if you have a late flight. The cost is AUD$25. I am thinking about it. Has anyone used this service yet?

The feedback was good when it started up last year... and there haven't been any complaints posted which is more likely if something had gone wrong.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2546000

That said, they're not so visible. When I came off the first time last month they were visible when you came out, but it wasn't obvious what it was; the sign just said Oacis, and some people were handing flyers/standing around, but if you didn't know about it, it's easy to miss.

The second time I came off they weren't even around, or I didn't see them anyway. So not sure how they're doing business wise. If I was taking a flight later in the day I'd certainly take them up as it gives you a lot of convenience.

• 2 weeks later...

Used this service yesterday when disembarking from Ovation of the Seas. Was so fast and simple, it offloads your luggage and you get your boarding pass. Was surprised there was no queue at their little stand. We had 5.15pm flights, so was great to pass our luggage straight over, explore Sydney a bit, then headed to the airport and straight through security to the Virgin lounge.

The guy also mentioned if its a party of 4+, its only $20pp

Used this service yesterday when disembarking from Ovation of the Seas. Was so fast and simple, it offloads your luggage and you get your boarding pass. Was surprised there was no queue at their little stand. We had 5.15pm flights, so was great to pass our luggage straight over, explore Sydney a bit, then headed to the airport and straight through security to the Virgin lounge.

The guy also mentioned if its a party of 4+, its only $20pp

Hi DrewAU, Very interested to know a bit more about this service. Could you please tell me, do you just approach them once you have disembarked the ship or do you book before? Do they take your tickets you printed from online previously and they give you your boarding ticket there and then? As you said once you are at the airport you just go straight through customs and your baggage is taken care of. Sounds a bit scary handing your luggage over and not seeing it until the end of your flight but it's a great idea for five us. Thinking of using them on our next cruise. Thank you.

John.

Edited by JohnGc
Added more

Hi DrewAU, Very interested to know a bit more about this service. Could you please tell me, do you just approach them once you have disembarked the ship or do you book before? Do they take your tickets you printed from online previously and they give you your boarding ticket there and then? As you said once you are at the airport you just go straight through customs and your baggage is taken care of. Sounds a bit scary handing your luggage over and not seeing it until the end of your flight but it's a great idea for five us. Thinking of using them on our next cruise. Thank you.

John.

Hi John,

They have a marque setup just before the OPT with the Virgin Australia stands/signs. Just walk up and they weight and check in your luggage. They will print you a proper boarding pass to get onto the aircraft once you are at the airport.

They said they are hoping to get more airlines signed on in the future - but at the moment it is just for Virgin Australia. I agree it felt odd leaving your bag there, knowing you won't see it til you arrive at your destination - but if you booked a later flight like I did, it is a hell of a lot easier than lugging your bag around Sydney while you kill time during the day.

You can find out more at their website at http://www.oacis.io/

Andrew

Hi John,

They have a marque setup just before the OPT with the Virgin Australia stands/signs. Just walk up and they weight and check in your luggage. They will print you a proper boarding pass to get onto the aircraft once you are at the airport.

They said they are hoping to get more airlines signed on in the future - but at the moment it is just for Virgin Australia. I agree it felt odd leaving your bag there, knowing you won't see it til you arrive at your destination - but if you booked a later flight like I did, it is a hell of a lot easier than lugging your bag around Sydney while you kill time during the day.

You can find out more at their website at http://www.oacis.io/

Andrew

Hi Andrew, Excellent, thank you for the information. My flight is not until 1.10pm so that gives us a bit of time around Sydney rather than sitting in the airport or using baggage hold somewhere.Thank you for the link, your help is very much appreciated.:) Will definitely use oacis. :)