Best time to book domestic flights

Thought I would take advantage of you seasoned cruisers. I was wondering how far in advance you have booked your air fares for domestic flights. Traveling from the Gold Coast to Sydney in the past, I have always booked about 6 / 7 months in advance, mainly because after the excitement of booking on a cruise I feel the need to be getting things organised. This is probably not the best way to get best prices for airfares, so all thoughts on this subject would be much appreciated. :D

I don’t fly anymore, so can’t promise tat hugs haven’t changed.

But it used to depend on when you were flying.

Peak time, school holidays, major sporting events, that type of thing. I always booked early rather than miss out. Otherwise later (a month or so) yielded best prices.

Thought I would take advantage of you seasoned cruisers. I was wondering how far in advance you have booked your air fares for domestic flights. Traveling from the Gold Coast to Sydney in the past, I have always booked about 6 / 7 months in advance, mainly because after the excitement of booking on a cruise I feel the need to be getting things organised. This is probably not the best way to get best prices for airfares, so all thoughts on this subject would be much appreciated. :D
If you like to travel on Virgin, keep an eye on their happy hour sale 4pm to 11pm AEDT every Thursday. And Jetstar have a sale on Fridays too. It's never too early to book if you come across a bargain.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thanks Guys, planning on flying to Sydney from Gold Coast in October so fair way off yet. I do normally travel with Virgin so thank you Melba51 I will keep watch for Happy Hour on Thursdays.:D

Thanks Guys, planning on flying to Sydney from Gold Coast in October so fair way off yet. I do normally travel with Virgin so thank you Melba51 I will keep watch for Happy Hour on Thursdays.:D

I find the sales never seem to correspond to when I need to travel.:D

I find the sales never seem to correspond to when I need to travel.:D

That is usually my problem.:( Thing is how do you know what is a good price. At the moment the fare with virgin is $114 to Sydney early flight and $110 return flight, that seems reasonable to me, but only flying once a year I am not really up on what is good and what is not. I would hate to leave it only to find cost go up. Where is that crystal ball when you need it. :D

That is usually my problem.:( Thing is how do you know what is a good price. At the moment the fare with virgin is $114 to Sydney early flight and $110 return flight, that seems reasonable to me, but only flying once a year I am not really up on what is good and what is not. I would hate to leave it only to find cost go up. Where is that crystal ball when you need it. :D

Price sounds good to me as our flights to Sydney are closer to $160 each way.:D

Price sounds good to me as our flights to Sydney are closer to $160 each way.:D

Yes I thought the cost did not sound to bad. If I caught a flight later than 7.55 am the cost went from $114 to $150. Luckily early flights suit me better. Might see what Virgin happy hour Thursdays offer and then decide what to do.

For the Gold coast that's a decent fare.

You may get down to $99 though. If you're happy to wait a few months (and it's not school hols you're travelling?) then you might wait it out. If it is school hols, just take it. ;-) Pricing trends for domestic fares have been up the past year, as both majors reduced capacity.

That said, others like Jetstar or Tiger can be cheaper, so if you're just wanting the cheapest there may be other airlines doing cheaper.

Thanks Guys.

I use Virgin as there is a bit more legroom than Jetstar and had a bad run with Tiger Airways so lost trust in them. Travelling out of school holidays and the $99 sounds good , might just hang on and see if luck goes my way. All your help much appreciated.:D

Thanks Guys.

I use Virgin as there is a bit more legroom than Jetstar and had a bad run with Tiger Airways so lost trust in them. Travelling out of school holidays and the $99 sounds good , might just hang on and see if luck goes my way. All your help much appreciated.:D

Good luck.

I've booked Melbourne-Sydney in October 2018 with Virgin Australia. IIRC $107 for a noon flight out of Tullamarine on 20/10/2018, I can't get a suitable Sunday flight from my home town, so have to fly into Sydney 2 days before the cruise.

Have organised accommodation at the Merriton Mascot Central Apartments for 2 nights, and overnight accommodation in Melbourne for the Thursday night. I hope to meet up with friends again the day I disembark from the Golden Princess-it was wonderful to see them in November 2016.

I walked into my Travel Agency and handed the Agent the booking details-I'd done most of the searching for her, she just needed to contact Rex re a Disabled Passenger needing some assistance in transferring from Rex arrival to Virgin check in. Once in the correct terminal I can manage, it's finding my way in an unfamiliar place that's a bit of a challenge.

Yes I have allowed over 3 hours from landing in Melbourne to boarding the Virgin flight and will get a taxi to the apartment. I've learnt from my earlier mistakes and things are going more smoothly this time.

That sounds like a good plan. Shame you could not get direct flights but seeing you have allowed plenty of time should be a relaxing trip. Nice to have a few days up your sleeve.:)

Edited by Niceman

Thursday night cup of tea, sitting near my computer eagerly waiting for Virgin Happy hour for cheap flights from Gold Coast to Sydney. Lo and behold up comes the page with all the cheap flights, :( :( Not one, I kid you not, not one from the Gold Coast to anywhere. Boo Hiss, oh well there is always next Thursday.:D:D:D

Received email via iknowthepilot.com.au at 4.07pm today. Gold Coast to Sydney $45 each way. Dates mentioned 1st May until 27th June. Unsure if this helps you. This was with Jetstar.

Received email via iknowthepilot.com.au at 4.07pm today. Gold Coast to Sydney $45 each way. Dates mentioned 1st May until 27th June. Unsure if this helps you. This was with Jetstar.

Thank you but not going until October.

Jetstar are having a sale at the moment. Not sure what date you are travelling in October but between 16 October and 12 December they have flights between the Gold Coast and Sydney starting at $45.