Beverage Package Question

dcl1710

With the beverage packages with liquor included, does HAL offer a discount for bottles of wine? The overview in the HAL page did not discuss bottles of wine, only glasses.Thanks in advance for any information.

The Beverage Packages do not include the ability to buy bottles of wine.

If you have been given the Signature Beverage Package as a perk, you can buy wine and cocktails that cost up to $9 per drink. If you order any drink or wine that costs more than $9, you will be charged the entire price of the drink onto your shipboard account -- HAL will not allow you to pay the difference.

Also the Signature Beverage can not be used during Happy Hour, on HMC or for anything in your mini bar in your cabin.

To clarify, I see options for wine by glass that are priced $9 dollars, those are ok?? I ask since it says up to 9 and don't want to order 9 dollar drinks only to find a full charge on my bill. What is the advice here by those who have had the package recently?? I have never had a beverage package before because I don't feel the price justifies my needs but I got it free with explorer package on my upcoming april cruise.......thanks

The Beverage Packages do not include the ability to buy bottles of wine.

If you have been given the Signature Beverage Package as a perk, you can buy wine and cocktails that cost up to $9 per drink. If you order any drink or wine that costs more than $9, you will be charged the entire price of the drink onto your shipboard account -- HAL will not allow you to pay the difference.

Also the Signature Beverage can not be used during Happy Hour, on HMC or for anything in your mini bar in your cabin.

I am curious....when is happy hour? And if I have the beverage package does that mean I can't get a drink using my package during that time frame??? That wouldn't make much sense. Why have a package if you can't use it? I understand about HMC or the mini bar. But in my mind, happy hour is before dinner and that is when most people get a cocktail or two. Or does it just mean that you cannot get "two for one" during a designated time frame for happy hour...???

Explain???

Thanks.

Edited by Irish Eyes Are Sailing

Can anyone explain KK's comment about Happy Hour? If I have a Signature Beverage Package on my cruise that was included in my pricing, does that mean I cannot get a drink at a bar using the package during "Happy Hour" (whenever that is) or does it mean that I cannot get "two drinks for the price of one" during that time frame....only one drink? (which is understandable)

I cannot comprehend why they would say I could not get a drink with the package I paid for during a certain time window.

I understand about HMC and the mini-bar. I am not referring to that.

Thank you.

We've had the Signature Beverage Package as part of cruise perks several times. Most recently last fall. It's always been that during Happy Hour you just get one drink at a time, not the 2 for 1.

Thank you very much....that makes perfect sense....it's what I thought KK meant, but wanted to be sure. Thanks for clarifying it.:)

If you have the beverage package, you CAN order drinks during happy hour. You can't get the second drink for $2 though.

The smart thing to do is go to a non happy hour bar because it will be less crowded.

If you have the beverage package, you CAN order drinks during happy hour. You can't get the second drink for $2 though.

The smart thing to do is go to a non happy hour bar because it will be less crowded.

Thank God for that...or I would doubt my sanity for accepting the drink package!;);)

Thanks for the tip about the bars!

Regarding the Wines by the Glass question: Here's some information I compiled before our last cruise. It's from last year, so there's a chance some of the selections have changed. However, they usually replace wines with similar one, so it should be okay from a guidance perspective. (In case it's not obvious, I really pay attention to this stuff. Probably too much. It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it.)

Not only are the wines listed, but I also compiled all the ratings I could find from my wine magazine subscriptions and other reliable sources. (The ratings are by wine professionals. I'm just a really enthusiastic amateur.)

The ratings scale:

95-100 Classic: a great wine

90-94 Outstanding: a wine of superior character and style

85-89 Very good: a wine with special qualities

80-84 Good: a solid, well-made wine

75-79 Mediocre: a drinkable wine that may have minor flaws

50-74 Not recommended

Sparkling:

• Cantine Maschio Brut Prosecco Treviso, Italy - $6.25 - Crisp and stony, with floral, white peach and slivered almond notes riding the lively bead. 85 points WS
  • Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Champagne Réserve France - $12.50 - This balanced Champagne is ripe and juicy, with crème de cassis and Honeycrisp apple fruit flavors accented by details of honey, smoke and biscuit. A fresh and creamy aperitif. 90 points WS
  • Domaine Chandon Brut California Classic - $13.00 - Lively and crisp, with user-friendly flavors of tart apple, lemon and spicy vanilla. 89 points WS
  • Veuve Clicquot Brut Champagne - $17.50 -Bright and lightly toasty, this elegant Champagne layers flavors of cassis, crushed hazelnut and lemon meringue pie on the creamy bead. 90 points WS

White Wine:

• Zonin Pinot Grigio Latisana del Friuli Albola - $6.25 - A simple white, with some apple and banana character. Medium-bodied, offering good acidity and a light finish. - 84 points WS
  • La Terre White Zinfandel - $6.25 - No rating found.
  • Ruffino Pinot Grigio - $11.00 - Intense, clean notes of meadow flowers, pears and pleasant hints of golden apple. The bouquet is fresh and fragrant, yet complex, showing refined notes of sage and mint, with a nice touch of minerality typical of Pinot Grigio - Mid 80s
  • Gruber-Rosh1tz Riesling (Spelled wrong on list) - $8.50 - Subtle, fruitful Riesling which reveals its subtle charms rather slowly. The nose is shy but the palate shines with ripe, aromatic apricot fruit, accentuated by lemon freshness and centered around a concentrated core of fruit and zest. This is slender but generous, refreshing and lasting. - 88 points Winemag.com (I had to misspell this one because it trips that bad word filter.)
  • Snoqualmie Select Riesling - $7.25 - Moderately sweet, offering apricot and pear flavors that remain ripe as the finish lingers. - 85-87 points
  • Zonin Moscato - $8.50 - Excellent as dessert wine it matches perfectly with jam tarts fruit salads and pastry. Low alcohol 7% - 84 point avg
  • Domaine Laroche Chablis - $13.50 - Lovely balance and expressive flavors of apple, peach and lemon highlight this juicy white. Leaves a mouthwatering impression on the stony finish. - 89 poiints WS
  • Formation Monterrey Sauvignon Blanc - $9.75 - I can find nothing on this Formation's Sauv Blanc. It was fine though, probably 84-86 if I had to rate it.
  • Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc - $12.25 - Lean, with grass, citrus zest and ruby grapefruit flavors that are juicy and vibrant. Toasted herb and floral details linger. - 87 points WS
  • Santa Carolina Chardonnay - $6.25 - A fruity style, with Gala apple and pear tart flavors that are clean and direct. The spicy finish has some smoky notes. - 86 points WS
  • Vina Santa Carolina Chardonnay - $6.50 - This was the Reserva di Familia. - Rich and well-crafted, with concentrated ripe pear, apple pastry and almond tart notes. The buttery finish is long and spicy, supported by fresh acidity. - 89 points WS
  • Penfolds Chardonnay South Australia Koonunga Hill - $8.50 - Refreshing, with lime zest and tangerine flavors that have a spicy edge. Compact and intense. - 87 points WS
  • Chateau Ste. Michelle, Mimi Chardonnay, Washington - $9.75 - A lightly oaked, elegant style, offering apple and pear fruit character with bright natural acidity. Refreshing yet complex.90 points, Wine Enthusiast

Red Wine:

• Santa Carolina Merlot - $6.25 - There's plenty of freshness to the juicy red plum, dark cherry and black olive flavors, accented by appealing green herbal notes. Finishes with hints of dried mint and chocolate. - 88 points WS
  • Santa Carolina Cabernet Sauvignon - $6.25 - Zesty, with dried green herbal notes to the fresh red plum and berry flavors. Olive and mineral accents show on the finish. - 88 points WS
  • Luigi Bosca La Linda Malbec - $8.50 - A zesty style, redolent of cherry and licorice flavors, with notes of pepper in the mix. The juicy finish has some paprika details. - 87 points WS
  • Greystone Cellars Merlot - $9.25 - Jammy and soft, with simple cherry and cola flavors. - 84 points
  • Batasiolo Barbera D'asti - $9.75 - High-toned boysenberry and raspberry flavors, with bright acidity and slightly chewy tannins. Moderate length. - WS 84 points
  • Meridian Pinot Noir - $9.75 - Fresh, with snappy cranberry and wild berry flavors that are pleasant and easy-drinking. - 85 points
  • Casa Lapostolle Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - A crunchy red, showing good cut to the dried berry and cherry flavors, with plenty of savory details. Dried green herb hints show on the finish. - 86 points WS
  • Light Horse Jamieson Ranch Pinot Noir - $9.75 - Smoky, oaky aroma leads to meaty flavors with notes of rhubarb and red cherries. The texture is on the soft side and the body is medium. On the finish those oaky notes meld with the fruit for a soft finale. - 88 points Wine Enthusast
  • Line 39 Lake County Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - Big and brawny, this has bold, ripe fruit aromas and flavors that are shaded by thyme and dill, and backed by very firm tannins and good acidity. The mouthfeel is full and astringent, and the mouth-puckering tannins last on the finish. - 86 points Wine Enthusiast
  • Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot - $12.25 - Broad and generous, with expressive cedar, blueberry and cream flavors that glide over polished tannins into the long, precise finish. - 87 points WS
  • Niebaum Coppola Claret - $13.50 - Seriously tasty and full-bodied, this inky-colored wine is packed with ripe fruit, fine tannins and firm texture, and needs a juicy steak or tender roast as a table mate. A core of black cherry and black plum is shaded by spicy oak. - 88 points Wine Enthusiast
  • Peter Lehmann Portrait Shiraz - $14.75 - Bursting with blueberry and plum flavors, this offers chocolate and Earl Grey tea accents. Velvety and smooth on the long finish - 88 points WS
  • Penfolds Koonunga Hill Cabernet Sauvignon - $9.75 - There's a brambly fresh herb detail to the berry and plum flavors, with impressive minerality, chewy tannins and notes of fresh earth. 88 points WS.

What is HMC?

Also, I have heard that drinks during embarkation aren't covered with the package. When do drinks start being included?

As soon as you activate the package. You can do that on drink #1 if you wish.

We had the SBP on our Alaska cruise last May and on our 18 day Hawaii cruise in January. The bartenders all told me I could get a double for $2.00 more. So I would either have my JWB on the rocks or a full glass of wine. :) worked out great!!!