Azamara Journey due in Darwin, NT on Sunday - Cyclone Marcus

MMDown Under

Azamara Journey is due to visit Darwin, Northern Territory, on Sunday (18/3).

Cyclone Marcus, a category 1 cyclone is forming off the Tiwi Islands, NT, near Darwin. The Low has already caused the cancellation of the Footy Grand Final on the Tiwi Islands and the postponement of the Sealink ferry.

NT News

I hope Azamara Journey avoids the cyclone.

Azamara Journey is due to visit Darwin, Northern Territory, on Sunday (18/3).

Cyclone Marcus, a category 1 cyclone is forming off the Tiwi Islands, NT, near Darwin. The Low has already caused the cancellation of the Footy Grand Final on the Tiwi Islands and the postponement of the Sealink ferry.

NT News

I hope Azamara Journey avoids the cyclone.

Captain Johannes announced today we should arrive in after the cyclone has passed Darwin, just.

Captain Johannes announced today we should arrive in after the cyclone has passed Darwin, just.

The Cyclone Marcus is expected to become Category 2 tonight. It is tracking to pass close to Darwin on Saturday.

If Captain Johannes keeps a slow speed, he should be lucky and arrive after the cyclone has passed Darwin, on Sunday.

QM2 was due to arrive on Saturday, but I'm not aware of its current location.

Excellent enjoy Darwin! Supplies have been purchased there before :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Such a silly time of year to be cruising that area.

When do they go there then? In their winter time? It's all part of the adventure cruising that area in summer and sometimes there has to be a trade off to visit these amazing places. I'd certainly take the risk of this time of year in Oceania over a cruise to the Caribbean during hurricane season.

Phil

The Cyclone Marcus is expected to become Category 2 tonight. It is tracking to pass close to Darwin on Saturday.

If Captain Johannes keeps a slow speed, he should be lucky and arrive after the cyclone has passed Darwin, on Sunday.

QM2 was due to arrive on Saturday, but I'm not aware of its current location.

We are travelling at 11 knots.

When do they go there then? In their winter time? It's all part of the adventure cruising that area in summer and sometimes there has to be a trade off to visit these amazing places. I'd certainly take the risk of this time of year in Oceania over a cruise to the Caribbean during hurricane season.

Phil

Cyclones/wet season right across the northern part of Australia is in our summer time - November to April. Last March we were on Journey Sydney to Singapore when Cyclone Debbie struck Queensland and sadly we had to miss four ports (Townsville, Thursday Island, Hamilton Island and because of the delays Celukan Bawang in North Bali to make Singapore in time. We had a second day in Brisbane and a tender stop at a beach area nearby, not much of a trade off. Capt Magnus did a great job keeping us south of rough seas. I think April/May would be a much better time all around this vast country of ours but maybe it's past cruise time in New Zealand? We have a saying - visit the north in a month that doesn't have an 'R' in it - May, June, July, August!

Cyclones/wet season right across the northern part of Australia is in our summer time - November to April. Last March we were on Journey Sydney to Singapore when Cyclone Debbie struck Queensland and sadly we had to miss four ports (Townsville, Thursday Island, Hamilton Island and because of the delays Celukan Bawang in North Bali to make Singapore in time. We had a second day in Brisbane and a tender stop at a beach area nearby, not much of a trade off. Capt Magnus did a great job keeping us south of rough seas. I think April/May would be a much better time all around this vast country of ours but maybe it's past cruise time in New Zealand? We have a saying - visit the north in a month that doesn't have an 'R' in it - May, June, July, August!

I remember that from last year when you just had to sit it out as the cyclone was right in your way and you had nowhere to go.

My point about timing is that with such vast distances to cover, it just wouldn't be possible to avoid all eventualities. Besides that the ships need to come back to Europe to do their summer seasons in the Med and Northern Europe.

Phil

I remember that from last year when you just had to sit it out as the cyclone was right in your way and you had nowhere to go.

My point about timing is that with such vast distances to cover, it just wouldn't be possible to avoid all eventualities. Besides that the ships need to come back to Europe to do their summer seasons in the Med and Northern Europe.

Phil

It just seems that March has been the worst lately. check out a drone video of Barron Falls. Crazy amount of rainfall.

https://globalnews.ca/video/4077771/record-torrential-rain-floods-australias-barron-falls

It just seems that March has been the worst lately. check out a drone video of Barron Falls. Crazy amount of rainfall.

https://globalnews.ca/video/4077771/record-torrential-rain-floods-australias-barron-falls

I’ve met a guy called Michael Pawlus a couple of times who is the one that heads up the itineraries for Azamara. Talking to him planning them is a huge task. Some of it is aided by computer power, other parts by human input and local knowledge of what is required. When you have a small fleet trying to cover a large area with the "destination immersion" headline then ultimately there will be compromises.

Thinking it through, if Azamara want to visit Australia and New Zealand during the year and be back in time for Northern Hemisphere opportunities then there really aren’t many options, so writing it off as a "silly time of year" really doesn’t tell the whole story or do the plans justice.

Phil

I’ve met a guy called Michael Pawlus a couple of times who is the one that heads up the itineraries for Azamara. Talking to him planning them is a huge task. Some of it is aided by computer power, other parts by human input and local knowledge of what is required. When you have a small fleet trying to cover a large area with the "destination immersion" headline then ultimately there will be compromises.

Thinking it through, if Azamara want to visit Australia and New Zealand during the year and be back in time for Northern Hemisphere opportunities then there really aren’t many options, so writing it off as a "silly time of year" really doesn’t tell the whole story or do the plans justice.

Phil

They could switch things around though. Do the top end earlier in the year and leave the bottom for March. Cruise ships never get it right in Australia though. I mean really, who wants to sail Queensland in 40 degrees, cyclone, rainy and the Stingers season.

They could switch things around though. Do the top end earlier in the year and leave the bottom for March. Cruise ships never get it right in Australia though. I mean really, who wants to sail Queensland in 40 degrees, cyclone, rainy and the Stingers season.

Yeah, but they have to get back at some point, like they are doing now. I guess I don’t understand what you are suggesting so we will agree to disagree. As for the for box jellyfish, the season is November to May. I was in QLD one year at the beginning of the season and at least they had nets up!

Phil

I always feel sorry for passengers escaping the Northern winter, who cruise across Northern Australia, at the worst time of year. I wouldn't cruise the Caribbean during their hurricane season, nor would I cruise Northern Australia during our cyclone season. I agree adverse weather conditions in the North is not bad luck, but bad planning.

Mother Nature gives what she feels like. To be honest they’d have to avoid so many itineraries otherwise. Take the round British Isles. Weather wise last November threw up far far better weather than the summer when it was marginal whether several ports could happen and I think some didn’t. I don’t think there would be many advocates for November cruises in that area but if you look at our weather patterns summer storms are becoming prevalent. Azamara are doing some more challenging itineraries because that’s what their guests want. There is a downside to that but imho a risk I’m glad they take.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Azamara are doing some more challenging itineraries because that’s what their guests want. There is a downside to that but imho a risk I’m glad they take.

Same here. Weather can mess with your plans all over the world at any time of year and not everywhere is going to be a perfect time to visit if it’s to fit in with the ship schedule.

Phil

The weather was glorious in Darwin yesterday.

The cyclone had passed the previous day during a six-hour period.

Captain Johannes kept us behind the weather front the whole time.

There were quite a number of uprooted trees across the area.

Thank you for the update Norn Iron. Wishing you smooth sailing!

Good to hear that you enjoyed glorious weather in Darwin on Sunday. It is a shame to miss Darwin, as it is such a unique Australian tropical city.

I wondered why QM2 didn't hold back a day, so they could visit Darwin on Sunday also. In the end, they missed Darwin and Bali and are heading direct to Singapore (9 sea days from Airlie Beach to Singapore). (Reason given for missing Bali was Bali Immigration Officers couldn't board in Darwin and Bali had two days of Religious holidays.)

Yes, the cyclone had passed and weather sunny in Darwin - and rather hot and certainly humid which was a surprise to no one. Most who walked through town had opportunity aplenty for photos of Journey, framed through the twisted roots of the enormous, downed trees. I appreciated talking with the vendors set up in the terminal, many of whom shared photos of their own devastated properties with power lines down, 'boil water' advisories, and so many trees blocking the roads. Kudos to them for pushing through it all to bring their stories and their wares to Journey cruisers.