Shoe Advice

NewCruiser51912

I'll be going on my first cruise on the NCL Epic sailing out of Barcelona on June 3rd. I'm trying to pack as light as possible (I'm a notorious overpacker) and I'm trying to get by on one or two pairs of shoes other than my sneakers for shore excursions. I'm thinking a pair of sandals for everyday and a pair of flats for nicer events and dinner. Here lies the problem... I have plantar faciitis, which means that I need good support in my arches and heels. I know there are brands of sandals and shoes that cater to this but I was wondering if anyone had any specific brands they liked. Preferably some that wouldn't break the bank.

Thanks!

Since its NCL you don't really need any dressy shoes, nor fancy sandals. You can get by with your sneakers just fine and if you want a flip flop type shoe, FIT flop is my go to brand, they have a lot of support. Those will take you to dinner with no problem.

81h1DavSfeL._UX395_.jpg

For walking shoes I like Ecco.

As I mentored on the other thread I have the same issue and it flared up a few months ago. I also purchased inserts for shoes that provide more padding and it has worked very well and I have far less pain now.

Keith

I'll be going on my first cruise on the NCL Epic sailing out of Barcelona on June 3rd. I'm trying to pack as light as possible (I'm a notorious overpacker) and I'm trying to get by on one or two pairs of shoes other than my sneakers for shore excursions. I'm thinking a pair of sandals for everyday and a pair of flats for nicer events and dinner. Here lies the problem... I have plantar faciitis, which means that I need good support in my arches and heels. I know there are brands of sandals and shoes that cater to this but I was wondering if anyone had any specific brands they liked. Preferably some that wouldn't break the bank.

Thanks!

Kayla, we travel with carry on, but I do take sneakers (light weight) and stuff socks etc. into them. Just put what you stuff into shoes into plastic sandwich baggies. For the flight and later to wear around town, I take Keds boat shoes or some other solid light weight nice looking shoe. Black ballet slippers to wear with slacks for a nicer look. The secret is mix and match and the lightest weight fabric you can find.

Happy travels.

Vionic shoes were designed by a podiatrist for people with plantar fascitis. They are wonderful and come in everything from a flip flop to a pump.

They were suggested to me several years ago by a physical therapist and almost all a wear now.

I like fit flops too!

I have horrible feet, so it’s lucky I married a podiatrist! :) I have to find shoes and sandals that will accept my orthotics. Sneakers aren’t a problem (I wear New Balance 990s everywhere), but sandals are tough. I finally found a brand I can wear: Finn Comfort. Only certain styles, and they’re not cheap, but for me they’re pretty much the only game in town. I don’t need my own orthotics in these since theirs do the job. I replace their inserts annually as they wear down.

Look in the foot care area in a drug store. I found a nude colored sleeve that you wear on your foot with a silicone lump(can't find the word) that supports your arch. It works for plantar facsitis and heel spurs. You can then use most shoes without spending a fortune.

.An alternative is to find Dawgs Z sandals. They offer wonderful support and can be found on the internet. They are a soft plastic sandal that are very comfortable. I own 15 pair in different colors. I wear them all summer.

Go to the fashion board here and do a search. There are several long threads discussing this issue.

6rugrats, thanks for posting this, until now, I had no idea about the fashion board, lots of interesting reading ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Vionic shoes were designed by a podiatrist for people with plantar fascitis. They are wonderful and come in everything from a flip flop to a pump.

They were suggested to me several years ago by a physical therapist and almost all a wear now.

I like fit flops too!

Vionic is ALL my wife can really wear now, and they make everything from heeled boots to sandals. Can be a bit pricey, but she absolutely LOVES them and swears by them. You can usually see a big variety at Dillards. Go and try some on. If you love them too, shop around online for the model you prefer. And the models change all year long, so keep looking.

They are also very quality made. My wife has never had an issue with any coming apart or anything like that, and she's had a couple of pairs for a few years and they still look great. They are a good investment for us.

I have two pair of Vionic and they're fairly comfortable. However, they aren't particularly wide. I have regular width and they're a bit too narrow. So keep that in mind if you have wider feet.

You have had some really good advice on shoes that work for plantar and high arches (both of which I have had. Ha, ha, arches are still high!

The problem is that everyone's foot is different so you really need to try the shoes on and wear them a while. For instance, I really like Merrell shoes and sandals (although they have gone downhill in qualtiy.) My sister-in-law, with the same foot problems, thought they were the most uncomfortable shoes she had ever worn.

I can get by with good sneakers, and a sandal and, but I do like some heel for evenings. I find that wedges of about 2" or less work very well for me. Flats are one shoes that are very hard to find that are comfortable for me though. Probably to do with the arches.

Birkenstocks...you can get many different styles and the softer footbed. Wear them for a few weeks before you go...my plantars fasciatis hasn’t bothered me since I started wearing them about ten years ago!

Birkenstocks...you can get many different styles and the softer footbed. Wear them for a few weeks before you go...my plantars fasciatis hasn’t bothered me since I started wearing them about ten years ago!

This is why finding shoes can be so difficult; everyone's feet are different. I tried and tried to wear Birks.--recommended to me by my podiatrist and other people--tried when I was suffering from plantar faciitis and afterwards. They were never comfortable--for me. I finally gave them to my granddaughter; they work great for her.