Ermoupoli, Syros. Cant believe there are no posts about this port. Discovery 2 August

Just booked for this cruise and started my search for Syros. Firstly, there are only two excursions, not even a bike tour. Looking at google maps, it looks like a quick stroll round, coffee and back to the tender. Please could anyone enlighten me to the "high lights" and if it can be a DIY stop.;p

Sorry never been but would suggest that you post a question onto the Greece TripAdvisor forum. There are lots of people who might be able to help you. Don't be put off if someone tells you to come back to this site though - there are more people who will try to help.(yn)

I had never even heard of the place.

I ran a search on that Greece forum - no results.

That's one of the things about Thomson cruises, their itineraries do include cruises to lesser-known ports whereas most cruise lines visit the same old / same old. It may be that even Thomson haven't visited that port before.

Fred Olsen call there, and their blurb says " In contrast to many of Greece’s most famous towns and cities, which are often overcrowded with visitors exploring ancient monuments and world-famous landmarks, Ermoupoli remains relatively undiscovered"

So you're gonna have to broaden your research.

Starting with googlemaps - it shows that the harbour is right in the middle of town & capable of handling Thomson's smaller ships like Celebration, I don't know about the larger ones (does your itinerary show this as a tender port?) but even if it's tendered the tenders will run to the harbour. So your research doesn't have to be cruise-related and kato's suggestion of a search on TripAdvisor makes a lot of sense.

The town looks to be attractive, mebbe a bit hilly away from the waterfront. I didn't unearth any "must-see" places in either town or countryside but the place is known for its classical architecture.

Based on my quick trip round the 'net I'd likely treat it as a cheap & lazy DIY day exploring a "typical" Greek island town that's different to the over-crowded tourist-zoos on other islands. I can't imagine it being the highlight of your cruise, but a pleasant & laid-back day.

But don't rely on my five minutes of googling - get your fingers working ;)

Enjoy the hunting

JB :)

We were due to call in to this port about two years ago but never made it as too rough to dock. My plan was to use the local bus service to go to the beach. Their were two bus which ran around the island one clockwise and one anti-clockwise. We then planned to continue after a swin around the route to see the island. The Port looked very intresting and was once a very important city. Lots of intresting buildings. We were disappointed not to berth.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Tourism-g189435-Syros_Cyclades_South_Aegean-Vacations.html

Follow the above link, then scroll down to where it says most recent forum questions, then click on 'see all 200 Syros topics.' You can get some info there and post your own questions and some of the regular visitors to the island should be able to help.