Pacific Whale Foundation Whale Watch

casandbliz

We would like to do a whale watching tour out of Lahaina in Feb 2019. It looks like Pacific Whale Foundation has 3 different vessels we can go on- a large 2 decker ship, a sailing catamaran, and a small panga. I realize the panga can maneuver most easily (but least comfortable), and the 2 decker will have the most people (but most comfortable). What about the catamaran? Looks like a nice compromise.....? Any thoughts??

Unless you are prone to back problems I would choose the panga or catamaran. Catamarans are fun because you can usually sit in the netted area. I like being close to the water and sea life so I would not want the double decker. All boats are required to stay a certain distance from whales but getting up close and personal with the dolphins is fun. JMO Cherie

First, the boat you refer to is more commonly called a rigid hulled inflatable boat (RHIB). It definitely doesn't meet the definition of a panga. They are used by a number of vendors for whale watching at Maui. We just came home from Maui, where we whale watched with Capt Steve twice, on their RHIBs. We saw the PWF boats each day, and had sailed on their larger vessel a long time ago.

RHIB is the way to go...by far. Yes, if you have a back problem you need to be more careful, or not go if your back is sensitive. If you don't have a back or neck issue, the RHIB is a real blast. By the way, DW has a C5-6 fusion, and that doesn't stop her from going on the RHIB.

We saw the catamaran both days. The first comment I would have on the catamaran is a lack of shade. There is almost none. Even the RHIB with the small roof has more shade most of the time.

I agree, the larger boat is much less desirable.