Vancouver Airport transfer

Hi All,

I have been searching some and it seems as though a cab from the airport and back is one of the best options as we have ruled out the Train.

Our group will consist of 4 Adults each with a checked bag and carry on item. My question is will the cabs from the airport and obviously from canada place back to the airport be large enough to accomodate a group and luggage of this size? Or should we plan on getting two cabs?

Thanks!

You may need to wait for a minivan cab to fit all that luggage and yourselves comfortably - some of the newer Prius models have a pretty generous trunk that will fit suitcases double-stacked so might just be able to squeeze the big cases in, but then you'd have to sit with your carryons on your laps for ~30mins, not much fun.

Same price for the minivans, there are just fewer of them (<1 in 5 are minivans). They're virtually all set up as accessible wheelchair vehicles to meet the legally-mandated accessible % of the taxi fleets - so if there are folks in wheelchairs also waiting who have no option but to wait for one of those, it would definitely be good karma on your part to let them ahead of you or take 2 regular cabs (or a towncar - price is pretty much identical to 2 cabs).

Thanks for the reply makes sense to take a van option if they are available that is something I did not find in my searching! thanks again. We are flying in a day early so there is no rush to get to the hotel from the airport and we have Lots of time when leaving the ship as well so if we had to wait a bit that would be ok

Would it be prudent to book transportation ahead of time from YVR to Canada Place the day of the cruise. My DH and I will have a walker (not a motorized scooter) along with the usual carry on each with hopefully one large piece of luggage. Any suggestions as to who to us for this.

Would it be prudent to book transportation ahead of time from YVR to Canada Place the day of the cruise. My DH and I will have a walker (not a motorized scooter) along with the usual carry on each with hopefully one large piece of luggage. Any suggestions as to who to us for this.

Short answer - no. Use a 'skycap' porter to handle your bags from the bag collection point if you cannot manage to push a luggage trolley ourselves. Head for the walk-up taxi queue, or if you'd rather have a more luxurious ride, use the walk-up limo queue. Pay $35 + tip for the former/~$70 for the latter directly to the driver, credit card preferably or USD cash at a poor exchange rate.

Long explanation - firstly, it's a $50 fee to prebook a limo at YVR and taxis cannot be booked. Secondly, unless there's an unusually long wait time (lots of planes arriving simultaneously can lead to 5-10min waits to get into a walk-up cab or limo) you'll actually wait longer for a booked limo than just using the walk-up queue. This is because prebooked limos are forbidden to wait anywhere except behind the scenes, so while you'll have a nice chap in a hat and jacket holding a sign with your name on and taking your bags from the entrance hall you'll then have to wait 5 minutes anyway for him to go and get in his car than drive it around. Limo drivers cannot come inside the secure area so if you can't handle your own bags you'll still need to pay a porter, who will take the bags all the way to the vehicle anyway. Last downside of prebooking - you only get one hour's grace, so if your plane is delayed more than that you have to either pay extra or have wasted your $50!

Short answer - no. Use a 'skycap' porter to handle your bags from the bag collection point if you cannot manage to push a luggage trolley ourselves. Head for the walk-up taxi queue, or if you'd rather have a more luxurious ride, use the walk-up limo queue. Pay $35 + tip for the former/~$70 for the latter directly to the driver, credit card preferably or USD cash at a poor exchange rate.

Long explanation - firstly, it's a $50 fee to prebook a limo at YVR and taxis cannot be booked. Secondly, unless there's an unusually long wait time (lots of planes arriving simultaneously can lead to 5-10min waits to get into a walk-up cab or limo) you'll actually wait longer for a booked limo than just using the walk-up queue. This is because prebooked limos are forbidden to wait anywhere except behind the scenes, so while you'll have a nice chap in a hat and jacket holding a sign with your name on and taking your bags from the entrance hall you'll then have to wait 5 minutes anyway for him to go and get in his car than drive it around. Limo drivers cannot come inside the secure area so if you can't handle your own bags you'll still need to pay a porter, who will take the bags all the way to the vehicle anyway. Last downside of prebooking - you only get one hour's grace, so if your plane is delayed more than that you have to either pay extra or have wasted your $50!

Thank you so much for all of this info. Definitely the limo is not an option but will consider the porter depending on how things are going. We are from the Toronto area (YYZ) and they have free carts that you can put your luggage on from the carousel and get it to the curb. Is that an option? With mobility being an issue for DH and wheelchair assistance being given via the airline (which is very much appreciated) I am just not sure how this is all going to play out so any information that you can provide is very much appreciated as well

Thank you so much for all of this info. Definitely the limo is not an option but will consider the porter depending on how things are going. We are from the Toronto area (YYZ) and they have free carts that you can put your luggage on from the carousel and get it to the curb. Is that an option? With mobility being an issue for DH and wheelchair assistance being given via the airline (which is very much appreciated) I am just not sure how this is all going to play out so any information that you can provide is very much appreciated as well

Free carts here too (they ran

when the new carts rolled out a few years back - pardon the pun!)

If at least one of you is sufficiently-mobile to roll the cart to the cab queue, you'll have no problems (if the walker is for balance, the carts are nice & stable so can be leaned on while pushing). There's good info on the YVR website showing maps, how to get to places etc. Start with the Passenger Guide page - it should default to a domestic arrival on Air Canada, just change the airline in the dropdown and it'll give you even more accurate info (since they tend to use the same gates). Porter info is also on the webpage - super-quick version is minimum charge $10, that gets up to 3 pieces of luggage taken from carousel to curb.

Free carts here too (they ran
when the new carts rolled out a few years back - pardon the pun!)

If at least one of you is sufficiently-mobile to roll the cart to the cab queue, you'll have no problems (if the walker is for balance, the carts are nice & stable so can be leaned on while pushing). There's good info on the YVR website showing maps, how to get to places etc. Start with the Passenger Guide page - it should default to a domestic arrival on Air Canada, just change the airline in the dropdown and it'll give you even more accurate info (since they tend to use the same gates). Porter info is also on the webpage - super-quick version is minimum charge $10, that gets up to 3 pieces of luggage taken from carousel to curb.

Thank you so much for this info. I hadn't thought about checking out the airport web site directly for such information but it will be a great source for me. Past my bedtime now so will check it out first thing tomorrow. Can't tell you and all of the other CC responders how much I appreciate your advice.

Sweet Dreams