Trivia on RSSC

SteveH2508

I have seen several threads in other cruise line forums where people get hyper-competitive in trivia games on board and spoil it for the rest of us.

I was just curious as to:

a) Are there many trivia quizzes on RSSC?

b) Are they played in a spirit of fun and not ultra-competitiveness?

c) If there are prizes, are they the usual key-rings etc.?

I have seen several threads in other cruise line forums where people get hyper-competitive in trivia games on board and spoil it for the rest of us.

I was just curious as to:

a) Are there many trivia quizzes on RSSC?

b) Are they played in a spirit of fun and not ultra-competitiveness?

c) If there are prizes, are they the usual key-rings etc.?

A) Daily trivia - I think they do what, 10 or 12 questions?

B) I think it depends on the passengers. I usually love playing trivia but rarely play on board as I just don’t enjoy it that much. My last few cruises have been populated with very, VERY serious trivia players. I think cutthroat is a good description. :(

C) Yes, trivial prizes for trivial geniuses. :D You definitely want to play for the competition, not the prizes.

Now keep in mind that a lot of people play every day and have a good time. I’ve had some good times in the past playing, but my last few cruises have been too competitive for me to enjoy. I think it’s hit-and-miss, really. Give it a try and see what the atmosphere is like, you might really enjoy it.

We have always enjoyed playing trivia on Regent. Our teams have been comprised of people we meet onboard often as we walk into trivia on the first day of a cruise. Best teams have been a mix of nationalities to cover many topics. We have never played with anyone who could answer all of Ray’s Harry Potter questions :)! Prizes are Regent Points collected from various activities throughout a cruise, redeemable for hats, umbrellas, tee shirts, travel logs, etc. Give it a try to see if you enjoy it.

We have played with a team we met onboard on several cruises and had a great time. However, twice we have been on a team that was not in our fun spirit. We did not continue playing with them after the first experience. Now my husband and I don’t really play...we tell them that as we get our paper and pencil. I even right it on our sheet as our name. Then we play by ourselves and grade ourselves. Therefore, nothing official. We have done well a few times, mediocre many times, and really awful a few also.. we just laugh and have another beverage of choice.

The key is to find nice people that won't get upset if you give an incorrect answer. We played Trivia on Regent for years but gave it up when some passenger's tried get people to move from where they were sitting because they had that table for a couple of days (like they own it or something). The competitiveness also got to me. In the days when we did play, we usually "donated" our points to whomever in our group was really trying to get enough points for a specific gift.

The key is to find nice people that won't get upset if you give an incorrect answer. We played Trivia on Regent for years but gave it up when some passenger's tried get people to move from where they were sitting because they had that table for a couple of days (like they own it or something). The competitiveness also got to me. In the days when we did play, we usually "donated" our points to whomever in our group was really trying to get enough points for a specific gift.

We too love trivia. Try to get on a team that only plays for fun. But if not we just roll with the punches and have another drink. Ha

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am one of those that like to sit in same spot for trivia. I will get to observation lounge one to two hours in advance to ensure my spot. Trivia is definitely FUN; however, we are serious about trying to win. We research items such as colors in GOOGLE, element table, geography (especially area wherein we are sailing), Harry Potter (if sailing with Ray), and colors of Olympic Rings. Six people each knowing two answers gets you to 12 right so you just need to be lucky on the other three questions.

On a 63 day cruise that lasted four segments we kept reconstituting a great team one time winning four days in a row. Last cruise I think we only won three or four times in 21 days.

Trivia can be the highlight of the cruise. ;)

Marc

Thanks for your replies.

It sounds as if it will be a 'suck it and see' thing.

Agreed about getting a multi-national team for best results (multi-aged is good too). Having said that, our best result was winning the progressive trivia on an NCL cruise once (just me and DW in the team ('Martini Monsters' team name) - probably down to attending each quiz as much as anything). Glad to hear it is 'points mean prizes' rather than a small piece of tat per quiz. I am not going to start studying colours of things though - I have a life!:p

Marc explained it well. Sit in one place for two hours to get your seat (much better than trying to evict people from where they are sitting and enjoying their tea (tea time is before Trivia - I drink a martini:evilsmile:). Then you have ultra competitive people (not all of the time). When we played, we played for fun but sometimes won. We learned that it helps to have someone from the U.K. (my DH filled that spot), someone good at sports, science, movies (especially Harry Potter if Ray Solaire is onboard) and one person with general knowledge (6 people maximum on the team).

Steve, I suspect that you will find Regent dramatically different than NCL (we will be on a 3 day NCL cruise on the Bliss at the end of May so I'll have a better idea if my statement is accurate).

Marc explained it well. Sit in one place for two hours to get your seat (much better than trying to evict people from where they are sitting and enjoying their tea (tea time is before Trivia - I drink a martini:evilsmile:). Then you have ultra competitive people (not all of the time). When we played, we played for fun but sometimes won. We learned that it helps to have someone from the U.K. (my DH filled that spot), someone good at sports, science, movies (especially Harry Potter if Ray Solaire is onboard) and one person with general knowledge (6 people maximum on the team).

Steve, I suspect that you will find Regent dramatically different than NCL (we will be on a 3 day NCL cruise on the Bliss at the end of May so I'll have a better idea if my statement is accurate).

DW is from US and I am from UK so that helps in the trivia stakes.

I certainly hope that Regent is different to NCL (for the price it damn well better be!). We have just done 6 weeks on Cruise and Maritime to the Amazon - great itinerary - rotten ship. We need a great ship/service/food to restore our faith in cruising.

DW is from US and I am from UK so that helps in the trivia stakes.

I certainly hope that Regent is different to NCL (for the price it damn well better be!). We have just done 6 weeks on Cruise and Maritime to the Amazon - great itinerary - rotten ship. We need a great ship/service/food to restore our faith in cruising.

How funny - we have the same US/UK scenario. We did the Amazon on the Mariner last November and it was wonderful. We are quite spoiled with Regent.

On our last cruise we found the new Mensa quiz a great alternative and/or addition to trivia. There are five questions per day and typically you respond as a pair/Suite. Much less competitive but definitely challenging and fun. Mensa seems to be solved at 4:00 and trivia at 4:30, so if you are really keen, you can do both.

In my opinion trivia has changed over the past few years. First point is way too serious and second is that it has been separated from tea time due to the number of people playing. So it isn’t the fun place that we once experienced BUT every cruise has a different experience and personality so check it out once or twice if interested.

On our last cruise we found the new Mensa quiz a great alternative and/or addition to trivia. There are five questions per day and typically you respond as a pair/Suite. Much less competitive but definitely challenging and fun. Mensa seems to be solved at 4:00 and trivia at 4:30, so if you are really keen, you can do both.

In my opinion trivia has changed over the past few years. First point is way too serious and second is that it has been separated from tea time due to the number of people playing. So it isn’t the fun place that we once experienced BUT every cruise has a different experience and personality so check it out once or twice if interested.

I'm guessing these Mensa quizzes are more puzzles/lateral thinking than general knowledge. It is 30 years since I passed their test so I might be a bit rusty! I'll give them a go as well as trying out the trivia.

I reckon the one thing that has spoiled trivia more than anything is the smartphone. It is an art setting trivia questions which cannot be googled easily.

I'm guessing these Mensa quizzes are more puzzles/lateral thinking than general knowledge. It is 30 years since I passed their test so I might be a bit rusty! I'll give them a go as well as trying out the trivia.

I reckon the one thing that has spoiled trivia more than anything is the smartphone. It is an art setting trivia questions which cannot be googled easily.

I am an unabashed fan of both Trivia and the new Mensa daily quiz. I enjoy the competition. It's mainly how well can I do against myself but I have to admit that being on Marc's team (see above) for a couple of weeks was real competition!

On our last Explorer cruise the Mensa daily quiz had just started; it replaced the previous "Daily Quiz". The original had gotten somewhat useless as the questions were repeated or could easily be "googled". The daily 5 "Mensa" questions are logical manipulations rather than general knowledge. Easy to get 3 right (so say I); getting 4 is a push; and usually 5 correct is taxing but doable. Great fun and 5, 4, and 3 correct get some of those wonderful Regent Rewards points.

I love trivia and am pretty competitive. But I get mad at myself if I give a wrong answer rather than blame my fellow team members. And I try not to be too serious. That said, on our last cruise, we had a team of just people from the US and won 3 out of the 10 days we played. Missed a couple of days because of excursions. We needed an extra person (6 is the max), so I was able to drag along my husband, and he ended up liking it. It is not usually as serious on Regent as it is on Silversea--now those are some serious trivia players.

Steve, I suspect that you will find Regent dramatically different than NCL (we will be on a 3 day NCL cruise on the Bliss at the end of May so I'll have a better idea if my statement is accurate).[/quote

Jackie, will this be the Bliss inaugural in LA on May 25? If so we will be on as well, we should try and connect with you and Dennis.

How funny - we have the same US/UK scenario. We did the Amazon on the Mariner last November and it was wonderful. We are quite spoiled with Regent.

I followed your Amazon thread closely and picked up some useful information from it - thank you for that. I am seriously looking forward to the Regent experience - for example, the sample menus I have seen are quite something!

We have generally enjoyed Trivia and made some good friends in the groups we joined. Mensa is new to us. Is it an individual quiz on a sheet of paper or a team competition?

It is an individual quiz but nothing stops collaboration and that can really be the fun of it. It really is competition against oneself!

... (we will be on a 3 day NCL cruise on the Bliss at the end of May so I'll have a better idea if my statement is accurate).[/quote

Jackie, will this be the Bliss inaugural in LA on May 25? If so we will be on as well, we should try and connect with you and Dennis.

Here we thought we'd have the World Cruise Center in Los Angeles all to ourselves when we board the Navigator there that day, but it looks like you'll be bringing 4,000 passengers and 2,100 crew (swoon!!) to the party with the Bliss being docked there at the same time. Different berths, yes, but same entrance. Sounds fun.

Steve, I suspect that you will find Regent dramatically different than NCL (we will be on a 3 day NCL cruise on the Bliss at the end of May so I'll have a better idea if my statement is accurate).[/quote

No, we will be on the 3 days out of Seattle on May 30th. How long will you onboard?