Workaround when you cannot print the HAL boarding pass

someotherguy

Warning: this is geek stuff.

I just spent a frustrating couple of hours trying to download and print the boarding pass for an upcoming cruise.

First of all, on the "Summary and Boarding Pass" page at the end of checkin, the "print boarding pass" button doesn't even show up if your browser window is too narrow (i.e., normal size). I had to go full screen.

Then clicking the button just produces a box saying "loading" with a spinning gear icon, but nothing happens. However, the "luggage tag" download did work for me.

So then I searched online and it seems many people have suffered the same problem and had tried all sorts of workarounds, with mixed success. I tried them all: different browsers, different operating systems, clear the cache, clear the cookies. No difference.

Now I'm a CS dude and at this point I'd had it, so I put down my drink, sat up straight, and got to work. From what I could make out, the HAL code has a 45 sec timeout on the download, after which it silently fails. I'm on a slow network so that's it. The luggage tags are a smaller file, hence that works. The HAL coders need to be fustigated.

So here's the work around, In Firefox, open the "Web Developer" panel (on Linux this hangs from the rightmost [hamburger/flyout] icon), then click "network". This will open a network monitor pane. Now click again on "print boarding pass" and you'll see the network traffic. One item is a GET on a file called 1, that is a pdf. Aha! Highlight this line, then right click and do "open in new tab" and the pdf file will download.

You'll have to poke around to find similar capabilities on other browsers and operating systems but I'd expect it to work.

I've had the same problem with luggage tags. After a couple of seconds I get a message saying that only one file can be downloaded at a time. When you click ok on that, the whole thing goes away.

I tired the other day using safari on my Ipad. Nothing.

Went to the laptop and used Chrome, nothing. Tried IE - nothing. Used Edge and was able to print them BUT when I went to my quick access in my documents I found all the efforts had been downloaded and were in my downloads on my laptop!

Just in case it may be of help to others.

I do like to have my boarding pass as I have seen it asked for to enter the terminal and, for the line up to check in. It's also handy if the computer system goes down.

I also had trouble printing the documents. I could never print them fully as they seemed to 'cut off' the right edge of the document . And I tried legal, landscape, sizing the sheets and everything else. I did get the first page to print ok but that was it.

There was a recent 'improvement' survey about the HAL website that I completed and forgot to mention that issue.

Never understood why these are needed in this day and age. The only one who ever cared that I had one was the security guard at the door. At the counter the agent just looked at my paper and usually said "Thanks, we don't need that".

Passport should be all you need. The guard at the door isn't the one who stops you from getting on the ship. So if you get past them it doesn't matter.

It amazes me that HALs embarkation is so slow, and complicated. In all our HAL cruises only once were we able to walk in unobstructed and not in a long line. Other lines put more people on a ship faster and with less headaches.

We left on a cruise out of Bayonne NJ on RCL Anthem. Process was the easiest and fastest we have ever encountered. Once out of the cab and given our luggage to the porters you walk over to ship's staff with tablets. The scan your passports and you're done. By the time you get through security the agent at the counter has your cards ready to go. Take them and walk on the ship. All in all about 10-15 minutes until you're sitting at the bar having a drink.

Dan

I've had the same problem with luggage tags. After a couple of seconds I get a message saying that only one file can be downloaded at a time. When you click ok on that, the whole thing goes away.

Same here. It then worked fine.

I'm on a PC and have never had trouble printing HAL docs from my computer. When I've had issues for other things like that I inserted a screen clipping into a Word document and printed through Word. You would only need to capture the first page. Nobody ever asks to see the rest of the pages in the document.

We don't bother printing anything from HAL or any other cruise that we are on. Why bother?

We make a note of our reservation/confirmation number and show up with our passports and a valid credit card. That, in our experience, is all that we have ever needed.

We don't bother printing anything from HAL or any other cruise that we are on. Why bother?

We make a note of our reservation/confirmation number and show up with our passports and a valid credit card. That, in our experience, is all that we have ever needed.

At FLL a couple of times we have been asked for the boarding pass at the port security gate, and to enter the terminal building.

At FLL a couple of times we have been asked for the boarding pass at the port security gate, and to enter the terminal building.

We were asked at those places every time we've sailed from FLL, including this past January.

My problem is that I tend to forget to print only page 1. :rolleyes:

We were asked at those places every time we've sailed from FLL, including this past January.
I think you're more likely to be asked at port security if you're in a private car than in a shuttle bus/van or a taxi. IIRC the ParkNGo shuttles go to a special lane at the side, and don't get checked for boarding passes for everyone.

Warning: this is geek stuff.

I just spent a frustrating couple of hours trying to download and print the boarding pass for an upcoming cruise.

First of all, on the "Summary and Boarding Pass" page at the end of checkin, the "print boarding pass" button doesn't even show up if your browser window is too narrow (i.e., normal size). I had to go full screen.

Then clicking the button just produces a box saying "loading" with a spinning gear icon, but nothing happens. However, the "luggage tag" download did work for me.

So then I searched online and it seems many people have suffered the same problem and had tried all sorts of workarounds, with mixed success. I tried them all: different browsers, different operating systems, clear the cache, clear the cookies. No difference.

Now I'm a CS dude and at this point I'd had it, so I put down my drink, sat up straight, and got to work. From what I could make out, the HAL code has a 45 sec timeout on the download, after which it silently fails. I'm on a slow network so that's it. The luggage tags are a smaller file, hence that works. The HAL coders need to be fustigated.

So here's the work around, In Firefox, open the "Web Developer" panel (on Linux this hangs from the rightmost [hamburger/flyout] icon), then click "network". This will open a network monitor pane. Now click again on "print boarding pass" and you'll see the network traffic. One item is a GET on a file called 1, that is a pdf. Aha! Highlight this line, then right click and do "open in new tab" and the pdf file will download.

You'll have to poke around to find similar capabilities on other browsers and operating systems but I'd expect it to work.

OR just call the cruise line and complain and nicely pressure them into sending you actual documents/luggage tags, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you're more likely to be asked at port security if you're in a private car than in a shuttle bus/van or a taxi. IIRC the ParkNGo shuttles go to a special lane at the side, and don't get checked for boarding passes for everyone.

Last two times at FLL we were in an Uber car. Time before that was a car service. Each time we were also asked if we were carrying any guns.

Never been asked for a boarding pass at FLL or anywhere else. But, perhaps it is because in FLL we always arrive by taxi. Our cab has always been waved through the gate.

Perhaps next time I should print out the confirmation page from our TA. We don't need baggage tags. In the past we never printed baggage tags. We filled out a tag when we dropped our bag off. It took all of 60 seconds. We only do carry on now so this is not an issue for us.

Edited by iancal

Never been asked for a boarding pass at FLL or anywhere else. But, perhaps it is because in FLL we always arrive by taxi. Our cab has always been waved through the gate.
Maybe alert levels vary periodically, and you've been lucky to come in at low alert times. I will say that we've never been asked for a boarding pass at any port entrance gate other than FLL! We did need one to get into the terminal for the Disney Dream at Port Canaveral.

Maybe alert levels vary periodically, and you've been lucky to come in at low alert times. I will say that we've never been asked for a boarding pass at any port entrance gate other than FLL!

The last two times we were in FLL, we HAD to show our boarding passes to get into the HAL terminal to check in.

The person who was demanding them made it clear it was pretty non negotiable.

Interesting. We always got asked by the police officer at the front door or one of the HAL reps at FLL. They kept on shouting out to have your passport and boarding pass.

Guess depends on the day and who's there.

Just spent a couple of hours trying to print luggage tags and boarding pass. No luck. Never had a problem in the past. Will go to a friends house and try from there. What has HAL done?

Ruth Ann, if you have no luck, drop me an e and I can do it for you if you want. I can send it to you in a pdf format so you have it or give it and the tags to you at ES - whatever you prefer :)

I printed off another roll call members for them the other day. If your friend has microsolft and uses Edge - try that.

The last two times we were in FLL, we HAD to show our boarding passes to get into the HAL terminal to check in.

The person who was demanding them made it clear it was pretty non negotiable.

If someone did no have a boafrding pass did they send them away? :(:confused: