Swapping Climates, Clothes, and Activities

I'll be going on my first trip to Europe and first cruise this May/June. My husband and I will be traveling with his family to Ireland in late May for 10 days, followed by a west Med cruise for just hubby and I June 3rd. We're sailing on the NCL Epic out of Barcelona. After that, we have a couple day in Barcelona before we fly home. A total of 20 days. Ireland will be spent with a good amount of hiking and exploring or generally being very active. The cruise will be a mixture of active and relaxation.

I'm trying to figure out how to pack for the different climates/activities and still pack somewhat lightly. Ireland will be in the 50-60 F degree range and rainy while west Med will be much warmer/sunnier.

I'm hoping to get by in Ireland on one pair of jeans. I've seen all of the suggestions for packing light by choosing outfits that you can make work several ways but I'm having trouble figuring out a few essentials that can cross climates so easily. I'm planning on buying a couple capris that I can wear in Ireland and for sites in Italy that require my knees to be covered. I'm also getting a lightweight, waterproof jacket to work in Ireland that will hopefully fold very small. I've bought a pair of shorts for the ship that are a light, soft material so they will fold into almost nothing. I also have thicker thighs so "chub rub" is a very real concern when it comes to shorts.

Does anyone have any specific suggestions (links are appreciated) of clothing I can use to make my suitcase lighter across these climates? I plan to bring a checked bag and a rolling carry-on for this trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey new cruiser,

That sounds like a really fun trip.

My Husband and I went on a Princes British Isles trip last

Aug. We spent 3 days in London and then left for the 8 day

cruise around Ireland and Scotland.

It literally rained every day. We both had prepared well as we knew that might be the case.

My Husband had brought waterproof boots several months earlier.

I had found on Amazon, some knee high black leather boots. They had waterproofing built into the leather

And looked like regular dress boots.

I also had my ankle riding boots that were also water proof.

My feet stayed warm and dry and I looked like all the other

women. Jeans and boots is just about all they wear.

I took 3 pair of jeans and 1 pair of Calvin Klien black leggings. The other thing they all wear.

We were able to wash our things on the ship so that was

a help.

Since your on cruise you will need more summery things, I

Would look at all the cute polyester blend sun dresses

That are out now for spring. For the hiking part, Colombia

pants and shirts can be washed out at night and are dry

usually by morning.

I took just about all Colombia clothes on our trip to Africa.

The great boots I had were from Canada, called La Canadian. Were worth every cent, & never were uncomfortable. I walked miles but not off road hiking.

Also, check Pinterest for lots of info on what to pack

for a MED cruise. Shows whole packing wardrobe for

a carry on.

Hope you have a wonderful trip, we love cruising.

Our next cruise is also a MED cruise, with 3 days in Rome

first. It will be our 20th.

Tropicqueen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Forums mobile app

Layers and laundry! For Ireland, the idea of a lightweight weather resistant jacket is good, but I'd take a sweater or lightweight fleece to layer underneath if it's chillier than expected, or to wear alone if the weather is cool but not rainy. Another option besides jeans, or to have an extra pair of long pants would be lightweight "trekking" pants, from Columbia, REI or similar. These don't take up much room in your luggage, and would be good for sightseeing in Ireland. You can always take a pair of thin leggings or tights to layer underneath if you think you'd be chilly. They are light enough that you can probably also wear them during cruise excursions, and some even convert to capris, with either zip off bottoms, or drawstrings to hike them up to capri length. For your base layer up top, take short sleeved tops that you can launder before heading to the cruise, and that will work fine by themselves with your capris/shorts for the warmer Mediterranean destinations.