Roll, Pitch and Yaw!

jazzhands

Hi

Just about to press the button on our first Azamara cruise on the Quest, end of August around the Med. My wife is not great with balance and is concerned that the smaller ship will toss and turn considerably more than the bigger ships and she will have problems (never had a problem on the bigger floating villages).

Would appreciate if anyone can give me their views on the stability overall and whether this will be a problem. I am trying to assure her that the Med. will be like a pond in August, but she doesn't trust me.

If it's going to be bad then it will have to be the Queen Victoria as a backup option.

Thanks

I've been in the Med numerous times in August. It's usually a lake. Only one night, out of the 30 combined nights I've spent, was there a minor storm and we saw 10-15 swells. I would say with 85% certainty you won't feel a thing. AZ in the med is amazing, I would highly recommend over Cunard.

I have been on Mediterranean cruises on Azamara and similar sized ships during that time period give or take a month. I would say over 90% of the time it is smooth. If you book, I would suggest a mid-ship cabin.

I've been on Azamara Quest in the Med a couple of times. Had some trouble just once when there was a stormy night off Amalfi and I decided to skip dinner and go to sleep early. But, as others have said, a little Bonine and a mid ship cabin will help a lot. And Azamara knows how to do the Med. Would definitely recommend over a bigger ship.

The smaller ships definitely move about more than larger vessels. I was quite surprised by the amount of movement, though we had some fairly heavy swell.

Pick a midship cabin, as there was a noticeable feeling of stability there compared to up front where our suite was located. We were woken several times by loud bangs and shudders as the ship crashed into the waves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

Just about to press the button on our first Azamara cruise on the Quest, end of August around the Med. My wife is not great with balance and is concerned that the smaller ship will toss and turn considerably more than the bigger ships and she will have problems (never had a problem on the bigger floating villages).

Would appreciate if anyone can give me their views on the stability overall and whether this will be a problem. I am trying to assure her that the Med. will be like a pond in August, but she doesn't trust me.

If it's going to be bad then it will have to be the Queen Victoria as a backup option.

Thanks

I've always found that the Azamara ships ride very well in rougher seas. I've not had an issue, but then I'm not really sensitive to motion. Only once have I felt ill and that was the second day on a transatlantic at breakfast and I sat right at the very back looking out of the big windows. Not a good idea before I had got my sea legs. The Med in August, I would tell your wife not to worry. She will be fine. As another poster said, just get a midship cabin if you are worried, low down as possible. Prolonged rough seas (which you'll feel on any ship) would be unusual at that time of year. Make sure she takes the meds before she boards and continues until she is sure. I take Stugeron. No adverse affects.

Phil

I've always found that the Azamara ships ride very well in rougher seas. I've not had an issue, but then I'm not really sensitive to motion. Only once have I felt ill and that was the second day on a transatlantic at breakfast and I sat right at the very back looking out of the big windows. Not a good idea before I had got my sea legs.

Phil

I think this is good advice.

One spring I was recruited to help "reposition" a fishing tug on our Great Lakes. We encountered one of the worst storms to ever hit Lake Erie.

Despite the terrible seas, the only time nausea became an issue occurred when I happened to look back at the wake. Symptoms subsided as I changed my viewpoint.

Now there was no relief from deep concern. :)