Bringing laptop onboard

Banana15

I want to bring my laptop with me, and usually don't, so I'm not sure how to do it this time.

I wouldn't necessarily want to carry it around when we board, until we have access to our room....but I also wouldn't want to put it in my luggage that we check at the port. What do you guys typically do?

I put it into my carry on, usually the back pack. I would not put it into checked luggage. We sail Princess and the cabins are usually ready when boarding starts. So carrying it around is not a problem

Yeah, I just really don't feel comfortable with putting it in checked luggage. Not to say someone may steal it, but even that they aren't always "gentle" and that thing could get tossed around.

I'll just carry it onboard. --- Do you usually just leave it in the room without issue when you're not in there?

Yeah, I just really don't feel comfortable with putting it in checked luggage. Not to say someone may steal it, but even that they aren't always "gentle" and that thing could get tossed around.

I'll just carry it onboard. --- Do you usually just leave it in the room without issue when you're not in there?

If you are uncomfortable leaving it in your cabin, and it doesn't fit in the room safe, you can buy one of those security cables and attach it to something in the room.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/kensington-combination-laptop-lock?jumpid=ps_con_nb_ns&utm_medium=ps&utm_source=ga&utm_campaign=Notebooks-DSA_Product_OPEX_DSA_All&utm_term&matchtype=b&adid=232278624659&addisttype=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjwy9LVBRDOARIsAGqoVnu68NXpdtaF_YjT1LlRFWBNqKgeTsSl87518KYzNE4DQ3jm_JKrEbQaAkEmEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMnOz66Vg9oCFRR-fgodzywEDA

I used these back in the day when I had to travel with a laptop PC.

Yes, I always leave it in my cabin when not in use. Never had a problem.

Consider your laptop to be carry-on luggage. A laptop lock costs $10-$20, and you can always stick the laptop in the drawer. Just keep it in your room. Also consider 1-foot power cords. Double-check your power supply.... most can accept both 110v/220v and 50/60Hz. Also, if you carry a power adapter in your bag, make sure it is NOT a surge protector. I ended up carrying a 1-to-4 power "squid" in my travels.

If you are uncomfortable leaving it in your cabin, and it doesn't fit in the room safe, you can buy one of those security cables and attach it to something in the room.

I used these back in the day when I had to travel with a laptop PC.

My laptop is really large, as they go, so invariably it won't fit in the safe. So I use one of these AND secure it in a hidden location. I don't leave it sitting out.

Just a reminder the extra steps of going through TSA. We always bring at least one and it can be a bit of a pain carrying (always in a backpack), then the added pull it out, put it in the bin, worry about it rattling around through the screening and then stuffing it back in the bag. It is still well worth it to us, just a thing.

We have a small laptop (tablet size) we travel with and our backpack has an interior extra sleeve made just for laptops. We have no concern about leaving it in our cabin...just stick it in the desk drawer...

No reason to worry about the cabin steward or really anyone else taking it from our cabin...I'm sure if someone wanted to steal something they could find much better electronics elsewhere than ours.

Wife and I carry all our cameras, tablets and laptops in our carry on. The luggage gets a good bouncing around from the crews handling of them. We also have never had a problem leaving them on the desk charging any time of day. The crew members are so nice, we trust them. We also now use a small piece of luggage with spinner wheels. This lightens the load of dragging a heavy bag or backpack around.

We always bring a laptop...Just to be able to download and store our HD videos and photos. I carry it in a backpack till our room opens up and then leave it out, connected for the rest of the cruise. Never has a problem with someone messing with it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/solo-classic-rolling-laptop-case-black/5230088.p?skuId=5230088

This laptop bag is a must. You said your laptop is big, so I don't know if it will fit. If it does, I swear by this. It is small enough to be considered a free personal item on any airline (even Spirit and Frontier). It is also big enough to fit a bunch of other stuff. I put my important documents in it, some extra clothes, chargers, laptop, and still has plenty of room. It never leaves my sight until it makes it to the cabin.

Taken one every cruise. Carry on ALWAYS, watch how luggage is handled you'll be shocked. Just for digital photography it's great. Add music, movies and web it's golden. Take it to the next level if you can sync laptop to smartphone with calendar program. You should get a schedule of the next day's activities. input anything of interest or set alarm for anything you definitely want to do (or reminder for dining) One of the things NOT everywhere on a ship:clock.

Taken one every cruise. Carry on ALWAYS, watch how luggage is handled you'll be shocked. Just for digital photography it's great. Add music, movies and web it's golden. Take it to the next level if you can sync laptop to smartphone with calendar program. You should get a schedule of the next day's activities. input anything of interest or set alarm for anything you definitely want to do (or reminder for dining) One of the things NOT everywhere on a ship:clock.

I actually bought a tiny alarm clock/ night light thing off Amazon. I hate not being able to roll over and see a clock.

I have a MacBook that is synced to my iPad and iPhone. I am a picture taker, so that’s part of the main reason I want my laptop. It always scares me to not have a place to dump photos.

I know they are rough with luggage on planes, so I wasn’t sure how bad they were on ships. I’ll just bring my small carry on suitcase and put it in there. I have to put my cameras and stuff in a bag anyway and one with wheels may be the best bet so I don’t have to carry something on my arm for hours.

Strongly recommend a case, for in your luggage/backpack as well as carrying around:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CD8AFT8/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1521929356&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65

Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have a hard shell on mine right now to protect it from scratches, but it wouldn’t prevent damage in a bag. Do you think this sleeve would fit WITH the shell on there? I e been looking for a sleeve like this but not sure that it would fit.

I have a hard shell on mine right now to protect it from scratches, but it wouldn’t prevent damage in a bag. Do you think this sleeve would fit WITH the shell on there? I e been looking for a sleeve like this but not sure that it would fit.

The neoprene case from Amazon comes in different sizes. Maybe going one size up would work out for you.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I don't need a laptop on a cruise. For internet browsing, my i-phone plus size, serves my purposes, and if I really do find the need for a laptop, I can always use one in the internet cafe on board the ship. Sure is nice not to have to lug one around....