Mariner status

FrankieSue

if I become 4* Mariner during my next cruise, can I get the Mariner rewards attached to the 4* during that cruise, or will the benefits only apply on the following cruise. I know that I could call the Mariner Society, but I just thought to ask here in case anyone had experienced this situation. Thanks and have a good weekend!

From FAQ's:

18. If I become eligible for a higher benefit tier while onboard, when can I take advantage of the additional benefits?

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

We turned 4* two days into an 18 day cruise! Nope, sorry ...

From FAQ's:

18. If I become eligible for a higher benefit tier while onboard, when can I take advantage of the additional benefits?

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

Ouch! Lol

Although the other person copied FAQ from the HAL site and it only says re 'a Grand Cruise' that is not the only way.

IF, IF your cruise, regardless a Grand or not, is sold in more than one segment you will attain next level benefits on the next cruise segment. Many multi week cruises are available in different segments; hopefully this is your case.

In Sept 2015 the Mariner Society in a phone conversation gave me the following instructions and it worked!

Before leaving on your cruise call the Mariner Society and they will verify your eligibility and make notes on your account. A few days before your qualifying cruise segment ends go to the pursers desk and ask for a mariner upgrade. They will email Seattle, get permission, and on the port day that your qualifying segment ends go to the desk and your new key card with upgrade mariner status will be ready.

Remember: The mariner society is closed weekends, so note which part of the world you are in relative to Seattle and allow for any time zone, date difference.

This was still the policy as of this past Nov. as once again I had benefits change mid cruise. On that 49 day cruise, not a Grand, the desk clerk said we had many cruisers changing status mid cruise. I sure was happy to advance from a wine package discount of 25% to 50%, not to mention free laundry! Oh yes, only actual sea days on that cruise qualify, not onboard spending.

cin, cin

Although the other person copied FAQ from the HAL site and it only says re 'a Grand Cruise' that is not the only way.

IF, IF your cruise, regardless a Grand or not, is sold in more than one segment you will attain next level benefits on the next cruise segment. Many multi week cruises are available in different segments; hopefully this is your case.

In Sept 2015 the Mariner Society in a phone conversation gave me the following instructions and it worked!

Before leaving on your cruise call the Mariner Society and they will verify your eligibility and make notes on your account. A few days before your qualifying cruise segment ends go to the pursers desk and ask for a mariner upgrade. They will email Seattle, get permission, and on the port day that your qualifying segment ends go to the desk and your new key card with upgrade mariner status will be ready.

Remember: The mariner society is closed weekends, so note which part of the world you are in relative to Seattle and allow for any time zone, date difference.

This was still the policy as of this past Nov. as once again I had benefits change mid cruise. On that 49 day cruise, not a Grand, the desk clerk said we had many cruisers changing status mid cruise. I sure was happy to advance from a wine package discount of 25% to 50%, not to mention free laundry! Oh yes, only actual sea days on that cruise qualify, not onboard spending.

cin, cin

that does indeed work as long as you need only sea days to get there .

Best to have an e from the Mariners society and a printout of your days.

If you need to do on board spending - it won't work in 99% of cases.

I have been on a couple of roll calls where members did it and it was quit clear ;). If sea days did it, they co-operated and so did the ship - if you needed on board spending, not.

that does indeed work as long as you need only sea days to get there .

Best to have an e from the Mariners society and a printout of your days.

If you need to do on board spending - it won't work in 99% of cases.

I have been on a couple of roll calls where members did it and it was quit clear ;). If sea days did it, they co-operated and so did the ship - if you needed on board spending, not.

This is the difference between "star levels" (Mariner status) which depend on spending and days on a ship, and have benefits, and Medallion levels, which depend on only on days on a ship (not "sea days"), and have fewer benefits.

Ms Jacqui,

I also will be sailing on the Prinsendam (first time) for 28 days May 2019, Norwegian Fjords (top of my bucket list) and British Isles so will be eagerly looking forward to your review and commentary.

For the record; I enjoy your common sense and informative answers to many queries. Thank You for the education!

ciao

This is the difference between "star levels" (Mariner status) which depend on spending and days on a ship, and have benefits, and Medallion levels, which depend on only on days on a ship (not "sea days"), and have fewer benefits.

What benefits besides the medallion itself and an invitation to the separate Mariner Receptions for high Mariners do the Medallion levels have?

VIP invitations for a special party used to be issued for high number of day Mariners. Neptune Suite guests are also included. I think this is still done, but I also think it depends upon the number of those qualified to receive such an invitation as well as the "whims" of the Hotel Director and the ship's Master as well.

I thought the OP was asking about getting to 4* benefits and what I said applied.

IF you are on a B2B, and IF you only need the sea days to get you to the next level, then yes, it has been done. Several of my roll call members have done it. The ship has no way to calculate the on board spending but if you have sufficient sea days to get you there, it has been done.

It has nothing do to with medallion qualifications. Aplogies if I wasn't clear

Ms Jacqui,

I also will be sailing on the Prinsendam (first time) for 28 days May 2019, Norwegian Fjords (top of my bucket list) and British Isles so will be eagerly looking forward to your review and commentary.

For the record; I enjoy your common sense and :o informative answers to many queries. Thank You for the education!

ciao

You are very kind:o

Thank you. :)

I hope you like the P'dam and yes, I fully plan on doing a live thread for our cruise. May is going to be here soon :D

Edited by kazu

From FAQ's:

We turned 3* one day into a 14 day cruise and they were more than happy to issue us a new ship card and "turn on" the perks. I called the Captain's Club prior to sailing and they told me it shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure they noted it in our record, too.

I thought the OP was asking about getting to 4* benefits and what I said applied.

IF you are on a B2B, and IF you only need the sea days to get you to the next level, then yes, it has been done. Several of my roll call members have done it. The ship has no way to calculate the on board spending but if you have sufficient sea days to get you there, it has been done.

It has nothing do to with medallion qualifications. Aplogies if I wasn't clear

You are very kind:o

Thank you. :)

I hope you like the P'dam and yes, I fully plan on doing a live thread for our cruise. May is going to be here soon :D

You are more than welcome. You, Ruth C. Copper John, POA1 and Sail comprise my HAL Wikipedia.

Happy cruising to you all!

VIP invitations for a special party used to be issued for high number of day Mariners. Neptune Suite guests are also included. I think this is still done, but I also think it depends upon the number of those qualified to receive such an invitation as well as the "whims" of the Hotel Director and the ship's Master as well.

We got invited to the Captains Cocktail party on our first cruise in 1998. We were in a NS and the party was fabulous. Flowing Moët. Caviar. All kinds of lovely appys. Fast forward to 2015, also in a NS, no invitation and none in 2016 nor 2018. I don’t think they do those parties anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are more than welcome. You, Ruth C. Copper John, POA1 and Sail comprise my HAL Wikipedia.

Happy cruising to you all!

Ooo! An honorable mention! Thank you---you just made my day. :D

All your answers and comments are very interesting and duly noted... i will let you know what happens on our next cruise but I will need a few credits from the onboard spending to make the level. So I expect to have to wait until the following cruise to receive the perks.

We got invited to the Captains Cocktail party on our first cruise in 1998. We were in a NS and the party was fabulous. Flowing Moët. Caviar. All kinds of lovely appys. Fast forward to 2015, also in a NS, no invitation and none in 2016 nor 2018. I don’t think they do those parties anymore.

They did one last week. No caviar or appies though. Just regular bar nibbles.

We turned 3* one day into a 14 day cruise and they were more than happy to issue us a new ship card and "turn on" the perks. I called the Captain's Club prior to sailing and they told me it shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure they noted it in our record, too.

I had to google "Captain's Club". Was this on a Celebrity ship?

I had to google "Captain's Club". Was this on a Celebrity ship?

Oops! I've got Celebrity on the brain since we're getting ready to sail with them in a few weeks. It was on Statendam on their 14 night Alaska itinerary and I of course meant to say Mariner Society! ;)

You, Ruth C. Copper John, POA1 and Sail comprise my HAL Wikipedia.

We've been away from CC for a while but just booked on K'dam in June. It's great to see all my favorite posters!

It looks like we'll pick up our third star this time out but there doesn't seem to be any pressing reason to try getting it added while we're on this cruise.

When we get back I will have to change the graphic in our sig :)